• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Advice for fitting a buttplate

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    I bought a stock recently for a Rem 700 short action that came with a generic flat based plastic butt plate.

Im fitting an aluminum Remington 16601 M40/Varmint style butt plate to replace the plastic.

Ive got the stock shaped about 90 percent or more for the curved aluminum plate.

Ill have to fill the old screw holes thinking Ill over drill and glue in a hardwood dowel.

Now Im at the point Ill be using Prussian blue acrylic paint to paint the 16601 and check for final fitting.

Any good advice regards tooling to make this successful?

Thinking I will in the end bed the plate to ensure a solid fit. Whats a good, thick consistency bedding, that will give in the end a semi gloss or flat black appearance to match the future look of the buttplate?

Thank you for passing on your experience.

I bought a stock recently for a Rem 700 short action that came with a generic flat based plastic butt plate.

Im fitting an aluminum Remington 16601 M40/Varmint style butt plate to replace the plastic.

Ive got the stock shaped about 90 percent or more for the curved aluminum plate.

Ill have to fill the old screw holes thinking Ill over drill and glue in a hardwood dowel.

Now Im at the point Ill be using Prussian blue acrylic paint to paint the 16601 and check for final fitting.

Any good advice regards tooling to make this successful?

Thinking I will in the end bed the plate to ensure a solid fit. Whats a good, thick consistency bedding, that will give in the end a semi gloss or flat black appearance to match the future look of the buttplate?

Thank you for passing on your experience.
    After mounting I wrap the stock with blue masking tape and use a file to shape the plate.

After mounting I wrap the stock with blue masking tape and use a file to shape the plate.

Yep.

The plate definitely overlaps the wood which is favorable. Its aluminum so a file will make quick work.

Im at a standstill now until I dowel the old screw holes and drill new ones.

Than Ill transfer the line of the wood to the plate and rough shape it off stock.

For final fit I heard its good to lay a wrap of cellophane tape on the wood than cover that with blue painters tape.

File until you hit the blue tape, remove both tapes than sand would and BP to match. Should only need to remove the thickness of the scotch tape.

Devcon dries kind of rough in my experience. At least the steel stuff does. I know they make other stuff too. Acraglass ends up being smoother when cured. The trouble with acraglass is that its really runny when wet so it would be tough to have it stay where you want it. Form something that doesnt need a ton of strength, I like the quick cure jb weld.

You should be able to pick just about any white-ish epoxy and die it black.

Reactions: pmclaine