• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Advice for NightForce 8-32 x 56 NXS needed....

BigtimeAub

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2011
Auburn, AL
I've decided that I'm going to go with the NightForce 8-32 x 56 NXS for my F T/R 1000 yard rifle.

Does anyone have any useful experience with the various reticles and/or adjustments? When shooting at 1000 yards, which combination of adjustment and reticle seems to produce the best results? Also, is the zero-stop worth having?

TIA

Re: Advice for NightForce 8-32 x 56 NXS needed....

I recently purchased this exact scope for F-T/R. I went with the NP-R1 reticle and 0.125 MOA turrets (no ZS available with these turrets). I really like the finer adjustment increment (versus 0.25 MOA or mil), but you really have to pay attention when adjusting or it's very easy to lose track of the adjustment with these turrets. A lot of that is simply personal preference. I don't find the NP-R1 reticle "too busy", in fact, I wish it had windage hashmarks every 1.0 MOA, instead of 2.0 MOA, but that's just me. Plenty of open space in the sight picture with this reticle. Overall, I'm very happy with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't find the NP-R1 reticle "too busy", in fact, I wish it had elevation hashmarks every 1.0 MOA, instead of 2.0 MOA, but that's just me.</div></div>

The NP-R1 has 1 MOA spacing on the elevation.

I've got the same scope but with the NP-R2 reticle and really like it. I use it on my 308 and my rimfires. and the .125 moa works great.

This question has been discussed in the F-TR forum here too. If you are shooting F class worth a look.

For shooting 1000 yd F-TR the NP-2DD cant be beat. (IMO) Getting a cluttered reticle does just that, clutters the view.

Shooting at round paper targets you'll know exactly how far to dial, and if you don't you need to go here and download some plot sheets.

One thing about this site, it has tons of great info, but most of the shooters here are not F-class paper punchers, the mindset is more "snipery".

I have the 8-32x56 with npr-1 and zero stop on my .308 F-TR gun. I like the zero stop because for me it eliminates confusion. I also like the npr-1 for wind holds cause with a .308 at 1000 yds the wind holds can be large and for me the 2 moa windage hashmarks work perfect.

HTH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskyTangoFoxtrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also like the npr-1 for wind holds cause with a .308 at 1000 yds the wind holds can be large and for me the 2 moa windage hashmarks work perfect.

HTH </div></div>

If you are shooting F class you don't need a reticle for wind holds, it's .5 MOA to the edge of the 10 ring and 1 MOA to the edge of the 9 ring, and if you are holding more than that then you should probably wait it out or dial something on.

To each his own, I've shot with one guy who never dials wind and shoots really well and I've shot with a 2x F-TR national champion who made the comment to me that he doesn't hold outside of the 9 ring. Personally holding off usually ends up confusing me two shots later when I'm trying to remember what those flags were doing 2 shots ago which is now your reference zero.

As for zero stops, I don't see them being of a whole lot of use if you are using the gun for F shooting most of the time. I usually leave my 1000 yd dope on my F-TR gun. From what I've seen most clubs shooting F class are combining you with the long range HP guys so you'll seldom be shooting at less than 800. It's a lot easier on me to dial back down 10 MOA or so to get to 800 than to dial back 30+ after each shoot. The only reason I'd by one with zero stops is that it will help on re-sale for the guys who have to have it.

All that said, I shoot an 8-32BR with an NP-2DD, I have a club here in OR that I can shoot squadded 1000yd practice every Monday afternoon, and of the 1000+ rounds I've put through my rifle this yr by far most of them have been from 1000 yds. If you're doing something different then what works for me may not be ideal for you.

One more thing, if you are buying it new I'd go ahead and get the 12-42 in either the NSX or the BR (and I like the parallax on the BR for targets) You may not be able to use the 42x every day, but when you can it is useful. I got a pretty killer deal on my scope used or I'd have gone the 12-42 route.

I would have gone with the NSX if I'd had the cash. I saved approx. $600 and went with the BR 8-32x56 with the 0.125moa adjustment. The 0.125moa turrets are definitely worth having for F-class (I was using a 0.1mil before, never could get the group centered).

Would have liked the 12-42x56 but it only has 40moa vertical. The 8-32 has 50moa and with a 20moa base I can get a 100yd zero and still dial for 300, 600 or 1000yds (308, 175 SMK).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oud272</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would have liked the 12-42x56 but <span style="font-weight: bold">it only has 40moa vertical</span>. The 8-32 has 50moa and with a 20moa base I can get a 100yd zero and still dial for 300, 600 or 1000yds (308, 175 SMK). </div></div>

I didn't realize it has that little. Good to know.

The NSX 12-42x56 does better with 45moa. That's still not much more and probably would not have get me to 1000yds in all conditions.

The NP-R1 is not at all cluttered in the center of the sight picture, even if it may look that way when simply looking at a picture of the reticle on a computer screen. The first elevation hashmarks above/below the crosshair are separated by 1.375 MOA at 32X (well outside the 10-ring) and can be very useful during F-class competitions, particularly for those accustomed to using a ranging/hashmark reticle.

As far as elevation/windage adjustments, the 12-42x56 NXS models aren't much better than the comparable BR models, having total elevation and windage adjustment travels of only 45 and 35 MOA, respectively. Depending on the .308 load you're using, it may be very close as to whether you can reach 1000 yd with a 100 yd zero. So the extra mag comes at a price.

I use the 8-32 NXS with Zero Stop and NP2DD reticle.

My opinions-

The "dot" is more intuitive for centering in a round target. I can shoot just as well with cross hairs but the dot seems slightly faster and easier to me.

The 8-32 NXS beats the 12-42BR for elevation.
I know a couple of people that couldn't quite zero at 100 and 1000 with the BR scopes but could with the 8-32 NXS.

I love the Zero Stop. I sold all of my non ZS NF and replaced them with the new models. I always return my scopes to a 100yd zero after a match. (for varmints and checking loads on my home range) I would much rather give up the high speed adjustments than the Zstop!

I think the 8-32 NXS may be available with 1/8moa adjustments now. I've never had a calm enough day to feel that I was honestly handicapped by 1/4 moa adjustments but it might make a good excuse if I lose to someone with 1/8moa adjustments!

8-32 NXS is available with 0.125 MOA turrets, but not together with ZS. You have to get one or the other.