• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice from our gunsmiths out there

rangerroy

LR
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2011
East Coast
I've got a Rem 700 7mm RM that I'm ordering pre-chambered / pre-threaded barrel from a popular manufacturer. Salesperson sent me an email and asked if I wanted short or long chambered for fitting by my local smith. Umm I guess I'm confused, what does pre-chambered mean then?

Thanks in advance for helping out a noob

Sent from my Samsung S3 using Tapatalk2

It means they cut most of the chamber ahead of time and it's up to the end user to finish the job. Often done by hand with a reamer.

Short usually means they stop the chambering job before it's to proper length and then the user finishes off the chamber, by hand with a reamer. Looks similar to tapping a hole. It's also the most common way I see them shipped.

Long would mean (I guess) that they ran the reamer in longer than necessary for the end user to simply take some off the "face" of the blank to essentially shorten up the chamber until it's properly head spaced. Would most likely have to be done via lathe.

Either way it's up to the user to check the headspace after with gauges.

You can NOT simply twist on a barrel so done without finishing the work.

I would imagine the short appeals to those without a lathe, the long to those with and don't want to buy reamers for a one time deal.

I can't imagine buying it long/short and taking it to a gunsmith to be finished on his lathe as you may as well have him cut the whole thing, IMO that would probably be the best for accuracy.

I personaly won't bother with another prechambered barrel. They were more of a hassle than they were worth. I either cut the entire chamber or none of it.

Thanks gang. I spoke with my smith and he explained exactly what you were saying. Makes sense now. Thanks again for the quick replies.

Sent from my Samsung S3 using Tapatalk2