• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice needed - bad batch of powder, primers, brass?

Snipers

Private
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2009
Used Win 760 for some 8mm reloads. I bought 2 lbs from a reputable reloading dealer at a gun show about 6 weeks ago. The first 1 lbs container worked nicely, and I had no issues. The second container has been unusual.

I was using "virgin" 8mm Hornady brass (I have never used before), CCI primers (last 50 in a 100 round pack; purchased in a 1000 pack and still have about half). Well - about 75% of my reloads went off, but they were very dirty and had some .5 second hang fires. The other 25% didn't really ignite. the primer went off, pushed the bullet about an inch into the barrel. The powder was clumped in the case. The smell was unusual for smokeless powder. Sort of like a rotten egg. The second container had the same batch number as the first. I only tried about 10 rounds and had 2 or 3 that didn't ignite (just primer). Stopped for safety reasons, and I broke the remaining ammo back into components and storing separately. The primer holes in the brass are open and I would say are large enough for the spark to make it through. I didn't prep the brass at all (clean or resize). The brass is a little undersized in comparson to some other brass I have, but not out of spec. This could account for some of the dirtiness.

I'm thinking the powder is bad, but the first pound worked good (same batch) I'm also thinking somone could have done a "switch" at the show. Are there any powder "scams" going on? Difficult, but a possibility. Has winchester put out any bad powder recently? What do you think!

How does the powder in the "bad" pound compare, visually, to the powder from the "good" pound?

Did you notice any differences I metering between the to?

Did you notice ay funk colors or smell between the two?

How does the powder in the "bad" pound compare, visually, to the powder from the "good" pound?

Did you notice any differences I metering between the to?

Did you notice ay funk colors or smell between the two?

The powder looks pretty much the same (color & size). I'll try to find a magnifying glass.

I opened up an 8lb jug of WW760 that I recently purchased and ran it through my RCBS powder throw. The suspect powder runs 47.0 grns where the eight pould jug runs 48.2. The eight lb jug is a different lot - around a 2.5% difference in weight vs volume.

Any major temp swings? Is it a ball powder? Could your primers have been contaminated?

I would call the powder company and voice your concerns. They may have a solution for you and probably want to know about the issue if it is the powder.

You describe contaminated powder. I don't think a primer could contaminate an entire column of powder in a case. Since the powder is not clumped in the container, I would suspect the brass. You stated "virgin brass". Brass processing leaves a residue. I don't know if manufacturers wash brass prior to packaging, but I wash new or unknown brass in acetone or lacquer thinner, then media polish.

did the powder smell different, could you load just some primers and shoot them to see if they all go bang

I had a similar problem with Wolf primers. Kinda spooky. I'd try a new batch of primers as well.

Ball powders need magnum primers for reliable ignition.
You're begging for misfires if you don't use them.
Some manuals will note this, some will not.
If your not using them, your powder and brass are fine.

Used Win 760 for some 8mm reloads. I bought 2 lbs from a reputable reloading dealer at a gun show about 6 weeks ago. The first 1 lbs container worked nicely, and I had no issues. The second container has been unusual.

I was using "virgin" 8mm Hornady brass (I have never used before), CCI primers (last 50 in a 100 round pack; purchased in a 1000 pack and still have about half). Well - about 75% of my reloads went off, but they were very dirty and had some .5 second hang fires. The other 25% didn't really ignite. the primer went off, pushed the bullet about an inch into the barrel. The powder was clumped in the case. The smell was unusual for smokeless powder. Sort of like a rotten egg. The second container had the same batch number as the first. I only tried about 10 rounds and had 2 or 3 that didn't ignite (just primer). Stopped for safety reasons, and I broke the remaining ammo back into components and storing separately. The primer holes in the brass are open and I would say are large enough for the spark to make it through. I didn't prep the brass at all (clean or resize). The brass is a little undersized in comparson to some other brass I have, but not out of spec. This could account for some of the dirtiness.

I'm thinking the powder is bad, but the first pound worked good (same batch) I'm also thinking somone could have done a "switch" at the show. Are there any powder "scams" going on? Difficult, but a possibility. Has winchester put out any bad powder recently? What do you think!

That really sounds like a bad jug of powder.

Ball powders need magnum primers for reliable ignition.
You're begging for misfires if you don't use them.
Some manuals will note this, some will not.
If your not using them, your powder and brass are fine.

THIS!!!

I tried some W760 in my 270 and my manuals didn't say anything about mag primers...had SEVERAL delayed ignitions, just like you're describing. Change to mag primers and I'm nearly certain your problems will go away.

Or, try Winchester primers. They're formulated to be compatible with Winchester ball powders. If that falls short, use the powder for fertilizer.

Greg

Did the 2nd. container have the seal under the cap intact, or did it look as if it had already been opened? In these times of woe and want we need to be extra vigilant for what you already suspect.

As stated - try a hotter primer - Federal comes to mind. Although I've never had issues with a Win primer and 760.

Had the same problem myself. My problem was the wolf primers. Pulled them down and replaced the primer. No problems after that. If I remember right the primers had weird dusty film.

KJ