• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice needed first F/tr match

DoubleBarrel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2009
South, OK. USA
Planning on going to my first F/TR match this saturday. Have never been. Any suggestions and explanations or rules, gear, tips etc. are greatly appreciated. thanks

Re: Advice needed first F/tr match

Where to start...

Actually, the way to start is to simply go and see. Folks here have a tendency to prepare too much to prepare. Just understand that folks very rarely win their first match, and use the experience as an opportunity to observe and learn. As for getting it right the first time, expect not to. If perfection was easy, everyone would be perfect all the time.

Try to save your concenrtation for the folks who show more signs of enjoyment. Odds are they have the better game plan.

In the past, I've often simply 'audited' my first match as a non-participating observer. There is a real advantage to this, where you can forego trying to 'keep up and make do' and get a broader, more detailed picture of the things which are more common to the more successful participants.

I once played the observer's role at a major BR assembly. What I learned there actually guided me into another direction, saving me what might have amounted to a large expenditure and a larger frustration.

It's not the only way, but it's a good one. It pays to begin long journeys with small steps, eys and ears wide open.

Greg

Look at the wind after each shot even if you hit a few tens and x's back to back. A lot can change in the time it takes for your target to get pulled,scored,and sent back up.

I assume you are going to the OKC Gun Club up in Arcadia?

They are a good bunch of guys and will help you all they can. Be prepared for a concrete firing line with a metal roof. A good mat to lay on and good hearing protection is a must. As to rules it would be a good ideal for you to familarize yourself with the Fclass rules from the NRA website. The high points are no suppressors or muzzlebrakes must be standard 308 or 223 fired from a bipod rear sandbag no monopods and must be under 18lbs bipod and all.

Go have fun

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 280man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I assume you are going to the OKC Gun Club up in Arcadia?

They are a good bunch of guys and will help you all they can. Be prepared for a concrete firing line with a metal roof. A good mat to lay on and good hearing protection is a must. As to rules it would be a good ideal for you to familarize yourself with the Fclass rules from the NRA website. The high points are no suppressors or muzzlebrakes must be standard 308 or 223 fired from a bipod rear sandbag no monopods and must be under 18lbs bipod and all.

Go have fun </div></div>
you are correct. gotta start sometime, so might as well go ahead and jump in. AS to concrete firing line,being a newbie and all i'll go ahead and ask, is it ok to lay a piece of carpet down and then shooting mat on top? thanks for the tips from all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 280man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well how did it go Sat? </div></div>
564/600 so you tell me. I was happy with it, especially for my first match. thanks for asking. maybe better next time. but i must say- those palma shooters......

palma shooters....... ? are good I hope? or cranky?

I think that a 564 is a great score. I would have been thrilled to get that my first time out. I will hopefully be at there May match if not before. Glad you had a good time

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 280man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">palma shooters....... ? are good I hope? or cranky?

I think that a 564 is a great score. I would have been thrilled to get that my first time out. I will hopefully be at there May match if not before. Glad you had a good time </div></div>
thanks for the kind words. There were two palma shooters there the other day. Nothing quite as humbling as a guy with irons outshout your $X,XXX scoped rig. they were awesome. Got to talk to one, who was on the us team. great shooter and nice guy.

Yes Johnie is a great person and shooter. He's a member of my club up here in Tulsa. I run the prone matches at Red Castle near Sand Springs. Email me if you want to shoot any of our matches this year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where to start...

Actually, the way to start is to simply go and see. Folks here have a tendency to prepare too much to prepare. Just understand that folks very rarely win their first match, and use the experience as an opportunity to observe and learn. As for getting it right the first time, expect not to. If perfection was easy, everyone would be perfect all the time.

Try to save your concenrtation for the folks who show more signs of enjoyment. Odds are they have the better game plan.

In the past, I've often simply 'audited' my first match as a non-participating observer. There is a real advantage to this, where you can forego trying to 'keep up and make do' and get a broader, more detailed picture of the things which are more common to the more successful participants.

I once played the observer's role at a major BR assembly. What I learned there actually guided me into another direction, saving me what might have amounted to a large expenditure and a larger frustration.

It's not the only way, but it's a good one. It pays to begin long journeys with small steps, eys and ears wide open.

Greg </div></div>

I was going to write something similar to that but you saved me the trouble. I only want to add one thing: don't forget to have fun.