• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Advice needed on a bow.

tomcat mv

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2011
Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but...I have been thinking that a decent crossbow or compound bow would be a good thing to have as a fallback to my guns in a SHTF scenario. Also just fun to shoot. I haven't shot a bow since I was a kid and really know zilch about all the new, hi-tech stuff that's out there. Any bow guys have a recommendation for a novice, entry level bow? I'm thinking I would prefer a crossbow but what are the pros and cons? Any advice welcome, thanks guys!

Re: Advice needed on a bow.

Here is my take on your dilemma. I have been a using archery equipment for about 20 years now, and while a crossbow or compound bow are great hunting tools, they need maintenance just like firearms. If you are concerned about a SHTF/WROL situation, I would suggest a recurve or longbow for a few reasons:
1) They are faster to shoot.
2) They need much less maintenance.
3) You can easily make your own strings/arrows if need be.
4) Once you have the fundamentals down, you can go out in the
woods and make a new one.

Archery talk has a wealth of information on it as well with knowledgeable people much like the Hide. Good luck in your endeavor, and whatever you choose, be proficient with it.

+1 on the Recurve. Strings are relatively cheap to stock up on.

Thanks for the info. I will check out Archery Talk.

Agree with Tlong, I went recurve and never picked up my compound again, surprisingly accurate

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snipe10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agree with Tlong, I went recurve and never picked up my compound again, surprisingly accurate </div></div>

Same here except I went with a long bow.

For taking game with limited investment in skill a crossbow is king.As stated above anything with cams is tough to maintain.Go with an Excalibur crossbow or similar get a few strings and your good to go.

Get a decent crossbow, easier to hunt with and use. I have a parker cyclone that ive ran hard and put away wet for the last 5 yrs and its still killing pigs

A cross bow takes a good bit of movement reload, it takes longer to reload, and it's also much louder than a compound or recurve bow when shot. It is quite nice not having to pull it back when hunting, since its just a pull of the trigger.

Well if your main purpose if for a survival type weapon. than your only option is a longbow or a recurve. The crossbow would be great, same with the compound, if you have the knowledge, extra strings/cables, and <span style="font-weight: bold">bowpress</span> to maintain the weapons after shtf. I work in a bowshop and fix broken bows all day long. I personally would buy a takedown recurve and store (waxed up) 10 extra strings. And load up on arrows and broadheads, as these dont normally last after a missed shot from a modern compound or crossbow.

For a SHTF scenario, a good back up to your guns is more guns.

Unless you are killing vampires or werewolves, in which case I would go with a compound bow and stock up on silver-tipped arrows.

But everyone knows a zombie apocalypse is far more likely than a vampire apocalypse, so I would focus more on firearms for that type of scenario.