• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice Needed On Primer Pocket

svencool

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2011
Everett WA
www.photostrated.com
Well I'm just getting into reloading and went shooting the other day with a buddy! He had an AR-15 and this is one of the rounds from it. I put it in the tumbler for about an hour and we were deprimeing them and I was going to clean the primer pocket with my Sinclair 223 pocket clearer but it doesn't want to fit.

When am I missing something here? He had some Winchester rounds that the Sinclair tool went right in and cleaned just perfect but these type of rounds it's not working??? Need some advise/direction thanks Mike
Brass.jpg

Re: Advice Needed On Primer Pocket

It's a crimped primer pocket. You'll need to get rid of the crimp to proceed. There are a variety of tools available for this purpose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oodin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a crimped primer pocket. You'll need to get rid of the crimp to proceed. There are a variety of tools available for this purpose. </div></div>

You can swage or cut the crimp out. Dillon and RCBS (that I know of) make swage tools and there are many makers of tools to cut out the crimp.

The RCBS swaging die works pretty well and it won't break the bank. The Dillon tool is almost $100 these days.

Removing the crimp on the PP is a real PITA!

I have both the RCBS and Dillon swage removers. If you have a large number of cases to work on, or are time limited, I would recommend the Dillon. Once you get it adjusted, it's FAST. The RCBS works ok, but takes a lot longer in my opinion.

While you're waiting for the Dillon to arrive, (great choice btw), search on YouTube for the "automatic Dillon Super Swage" video....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: traderpats</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While you're waiting for the Dillon to arrive, (great choice btw), search on YouTube for the "automatic Dillon Super Swage" video....

</div></div>

All the time I've spent with the Dillon and never thought of that. I'll be trying that next time!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: traderpats</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While you're waiting for the Dillon to arrive, (great choice btw), search on YouTube for the "automatic Dillon Super Swage" video....

</div></div>

Just checked that out pretty darn cool
smile.gif
Thx for the tip!!! Never got much into youtube but looks like I'm going to have to start checking it out...

Mike