• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

advice on 22 lr bolt guns please

cjmac1988

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2013
so im in the market for a 22 bolt gun, wanting something simple but accurate . any ideas? Im kinda new to the whole rimfire thing

I have the savage mark2 fsvr. love it. I think I payed just under 300 for it. added a boyds stock and I've been head shooting squirrels all season long.

Simple but accurate. Simple is the easy part, accurate is what get's expensive.
If you want accurate, be prepared to spend in excess of $1200. That's what it'll take
to get a decent trigger, decent stock, properly machined and assembled bolt and receiver
and a match grade barrel with a polished bore. You can start with a $500 rifle, but after
upgrading the stock, trigger and barrel...you'll have ended up at the magic $1200 mark.
If you are a hobbyist like me, where the tinkering is the fun, get a midrange rifle and build it up.
If you want accuracy out of the box, spend the money from the get go.

CZ452 / 455 varmint, soup it up as you get more funds

Last edited:
I like the Savage line. For me the Savage MKII FVT, MKII BTV, & MKII offer what I'm looking for at affordable prices, and they are accurate. Like all .22lr rimfire rifles, you have to find the ammo each one likes and performs the best with. Easier said then done in these times of rimfire ammo shortages. CZ's get a lot of good review, and I believe they are very accurate and reliable. I'd buy one myself if I ever decided I needed another bolt action rifle.

I like the Savage line. For me the Savage MKII FVT, MKII BTV, & MKII offer what I'm looking for at affordable prices, and they are accurate. Like all .22lr rimfire rifles, you have to find the ammo each one likes and performs the best with. Easier said then done in these times of rimfire ammo shortages. CZ's get a lot of good review, and I believe they are very accurate and reliable. I'd buy one myself if I ever decided I needed another bolt action rifle.
Kimbers are great, I have 2, but are now and probably forever sold out and prices are rising on the secondary market. CZ makes a great rifle, I have two a 452 and a Manners stocked 455PT, and can be made into a great shooter reasonably. Sako makes a great rifle but are hard to find and Savage is also a good rifle but has limited upgradability.
here is my CZ 452

CZ452V (4) by usmcchet92_96, on Flickr
my 455PT replaced my 452 ....it has a yodave trigger, around alb, manners stock and DIP magwell and release.

CZ455PT-10-12 (1) by usmcchet92_96, on Flickr
My original Kimber with new apertures

IMG_0163 by usmcchet92_96, on Flickr
and my slightly modified Kimber

IMG_0160 by usmcchet92_96, on Flickr

nice rifles , yeah i forgot about saying anything bout the price . savage might be something good for upgrades

As someone who went down the wrong path and finally sold my modified 77/22 and 504 to finally buy a Cooper JSR I fully agree with this thinking. Annies will also do the job. In either case quality comes at a price, but it's worth it.

Simple but accurate. Simple is the easy part, accurate is what get's expensive.
If you want accurate, be prepared to spend in excess of $1200. That's what it'll take
to get a decent trigger, decent stock, properly machined and assembled bolt and receiver
and a match grade barrel with a polished bore. You can start with a $500 rifle, but after
upgrading the stock, trigger and barrel...you'll have ended up at the magic $1200 mark.
If you are a hobbyist like me, where the tinkering is the fun, get a midrange rifle and build it up.
If you want accuracy out of the box, spend the money from the get go.

i have a couple rimfire stick 3 savages cause they are cheap a 455 and a sako quad varmint and belive it or not the cz is actually the best shooter i have

Best shooter I have is also a CZ452...excellent built quality and I think the only piece of plastic on the whole rifle is the magazine base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

+1 on the CZ452 American.
I have shot sub 1.5" groups @ 200 yds with Wolf MT ammo.
I also have a Kimber, Ruger, Win 69, Rem 541T.
The CZ is the most accurate rimfire I own.

Coach

+1 on the CZ452 American.
I have shot sub 1.5" groups @ 200 yds with Wolf MT ammo.
I also have a Kimber, Ruger, Win 69, Rem 541T.
The CZ is the most accurate rimfire I own.

Coach

I see that you have a rem 541 T listed...I have one also it just will not shoot no matter what I try. I've recrowned the barrel and bedded the actions with pillars and it still won't do much better then my ruger 10/22 take down! How is yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

The CMP Kimber 82g's appear to be all gone. They were good-excellent depending on your luck of the draw and came with nice diopter sights, though. they were single shot. I agree that the CZ's shoot well out of the box and offer great updatability with aftermarket everything from stocks to barrels. The same can be said of the Sako quads though they have a nicer fit and finish but perhaps not quite as robust a design. It is a big jump to an Annie 64MPR bin cost but they are predictably excellent out of the box often shooting as well as a CZ or Sako with an aftermarket barrel. I don't personally think the Savages are worth looking at.

Just bought an Anschutz 1416 for plinking and hunting. Took it out yesterday for the first time. Bought warne base and rings and slapped a Bushy Elite 3-9X42 I had laying around.

It shot every ammo I had well, and it shot good ammo lights out. At 50 yards (it was 5-10mph winds so 100 I was unsure how much drift I would get at 100) it stacked holes ontop of holes. 5 shot qtr inch groups. It impressed me. I am very happy with it. Bought it at a Big Box store for $950.

In my experience, great guns shoot more stuff better, this held true.

I have a Savage Mark II TR. I mounted a SWFA SS 10x on it, and it has proven to be an excellent shooter right out of the box with Wolf Match. I normally don't care much for Savage, but this rifle has been an absolute winner for me.

I'm certainly no rimfire expert, but I do own a CZ 455. My rimfire craze started only about 6 months ago, and have already experienced 9 different rifles. Some of which are considered some what higher end, and the CZ is still one of my favorites. I hate to use the word cheap in association with this rifle because it may be thought of as low quality. My CZ shoots great groups at 50 yards, and consistently hits a golf ball at 100 yards with Wolf Extra, and Eley Match ammo. I consider it inexpensive for what you get. The factory trigger sucks, but a Yo Dave trigger kit for about $20.00 fixes that. I don't like to judge things by their cost only, but by their performance as well. I also own an MPR 64, and love the feel of the actions smoothness, plus the stock feels more like a full size rifle. However the MPR is almost 3 times the price as the CZ. If you bought the CZ you could also buy different caliber barrels and change them out yourself. I personally like the stock a lot after adding a Tac Ops cheek pad. Best of luck.

so im in the market for a 22 bolt gun, wanting something simple but accurate . any ideas? Im kinda new to the whole rimfire thing
Welcome to the rimfire club Cjmac1988!!

If you search this thread, you will see your question has been discussed many times. First thing to address is the budget.
What are we talking about here? With/with out optics?
What does accurate mean to you? 1MOA? 2MOA? and at what distance?
Then , Are you skilled enough to see the difference in rifles?

For me, I have a Savage MKII, Boyds Tactical stock, Weaver rings, Weaver 3-10 milldot scope. About $650 total into it .
Is it the most accurate? No. But Im very happy with 1/2" groups at 50. and 1 1/2 at 100. I take mine to 225 and hit a 6inch plates more often than not.

I hope this helps you.
Good luck!

- all rifles off the same assembly line are not equal: some CZ's are fantastic, others not so much. Same thing with most of the ones that have been mentioned so far. I've had the Savage's (BTSV), CZ's (453V), and Sako Quad, all of which are essentially equal in price...or were when I bought them. While the CZ that some folks own will outshoot their Savage, and some Savage's will outshoot the Quad, you really don't know until you give them a try. My CZ was a disappointment, my Quad is a keeper.

I'm a huge CZ/BRNO fan. But for an economical alternative search for a Norinco JW15.

Didn't see it mentioned yet, but look for a used Remington 40x or Anshutz 54 Match (accuracy/competition), be prepared to pay $$, but they are shooters. If just plinking, I have a Savage bolt gun, trigger job got it to right around 1#-- it shoots pretty darn good for basically a stock rifle.

I'll jump on,... My CZ 452 is a laser! It seems to shoot everything pretty well, but put some Fiocchi SM 320 Super Match in it and LOOK OUT, it turns into an almost boringly accurate nail-driver - it'll drill a raged hole at 50-yards all day long. I put a Pride-Fowler 3-9x with a .22LR BDC on it - a TON of fun to take out plinking!

On a side note, I was asking a maker of some record-breaking, competitive .22LR barrels, about different .22LR rifles and actions as I was thinking of dropping some serious coin on an Anschutz and was asking about what rifle he thought would be best, and out of left-field he said CZ(!) For the money, ease of working with, and out of the box accuracy, his choice was a CZ. He did say, if money is no object, and you really want the best money can buy, go with the Anschutz,... but he'd buy a CZ.

Ry

Last edited:
Savage simple = Savage MKIIF lists at $220, or if you can do without the adjustable trigger, Stevens 300 $205. 10shot DM, open sights, tapped for scope mounts. As simple and basic as it gets. Decent subsonic target ammo renders a scoped, benched 1" at 50yd.

Savage good compromise = MKII-FV List $235, add a Tasco VAR624X42M Varmint/Target 6-24x42 scope with Mil-Dot reticle, focuses down to 15yd, has covered 1/4MOA Knobs, and a good quality reticle, lists for well under $100. I have used this scope for 22's, an M70 .30-'06 light tactical, 1000yd F Open .260, a .30BR FV-250 Open, and my Stag Model 6 Super Varminter. My four examples have never failed in any of these applications for going on ten years in service. It is a good, inexpensive general purpose scope for somewhat less than ultimate accuracy applications; my only downchecks would be for slightly less than ideal brightness and slightly less than ultimate clarity. My Weaver V-24 and T-24 have significantly sharper/brighter images, but the Tasco has served adequately for midday F Class-ish applications.

Greg

Last edited:
The CZ action feels very solid like an old school Mauser, and with a Yo-Dave trigger kit off eBay, you can get the trigger into the ounces with no creep. I have the Ultra Lux which has a 28" barrel and is as quiet as my 10/22 with a suppressor.

I'm surprised that I'd be the first to say Remington 40X. Budgetary and function priorities it depends a lot on what you want out of it / what you're gonna be settin it up for. I'm gonna have to save up for one and I believe they're damn well worth it :) They start out used at around $1200

My dream 22 has always been a 40X since I shot one and got 2nd place in a standing silhouette competition. I lost to an old timer with a 52C :)

I'm kinda loyal like that! Remington has been serving our troops and country for longer than most firearms companies around, besides Colt and S&W.

Find what cup of tea you like and run with it :)

Here's a pic from the net:

(the one on the right)

40X_zpscb28f388.jpg

I'm surprised that I'd be the first to say Remington 40X. Budgetary and function priorities it depends a lot on what you want out of it / what you're gonna be settin it up for. I'm gonna have to save up for one and I believe they're damn well worth it :) They start out used at around $1200

My dream 22 has always been a 40X since I shot one and got 2nd place in a standing silhouette competition. I lost to an old timer with a 52C :)

I'm kinda loyal like that! Remington has been serving our troops and country for longer than most firearms companies around, besides Colt and S&W.

Find what cup of tea you like and run with it :)

Here's a pic from the net:

(the one on the right)

40X_zpscb28f388.jpg

I wouldnt consider a Remington 40X an option just because its no longer in production and would be considered a C&R rifle with very limited and expensive availability. I wish Remington would make the 40X again and add a repeater as on option. I would get one in a heart beat if they would keep in within a reasonable price.

Simple but accurate is your quest. Crap shoot and learning curve it will be.
You missed 452's by about a year to buy new. Best 100yd target I have shot was with a Trr with a different [EGW] rail installed. They can be 'easy' but not of lasting quality [soft].
Today, I would buy a new Anshutz, a case of 10x and start your quest. Leupold rimfire scope is plenty.
51 years of rimfire and my trainer is now a 223.

I've had great luck with Savage MarkII FV-SR rifles. Heavy fluted threaded barrel, acu-trigger, great scope base, tactical bolt knob, etc. Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore sells them for $225.99/shipped with no CC fee. I just ordered another tonight. I've bought a few & set back for some young shooters but the ones I've scoped up & shot are tackdrivers. A lot of rifle for the money IMHO.

Last edited: