• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors Advice on .22lr suppressor

KYpatriot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2009
wishing i was in KY
I would appreciate your advice on a good .22lr set up...here is what I am thinking:

Get a Ruger MarkII or Walther P22 and a thread on or the Ruger MarkII and go integral.

This would be for varmit dispatch around the house/farm and to help my younger daughters enjoy shooting more.

My questions:
1. Would a suppressor suitable for an Ar-15 be appropriate for a .22lr as well or would it be too heavy? Anybody try that? It would be nice to switch it from the pistol to my m4 clone without having to buy another for that.

2. Is an integral really that much more quiet?

3. Should I rule out suppressors that dont disassemble for the .22lr?

4. Anybody do the Walther setup? With the short barrel (around 3.4" i think) maybe I could use regular ammo and not have to find sub-sonic.

Thanks in advance for your replies...looking forward to setting up my first suppressed weapon.

Re: Advice on .22lr suppressor

1: I've known people to do that but to get the host (Sig mosquito) to cycle you had to hold the can up. I personally would go that route.

2: integrals are generally quieter because they are ported to make HV ammo subsonic. they also have more volume. some integrals are ported too much and bring some .22lr down to CB short velocity. your also stuck with 1 host with an integral.

3:YES. .22 is nasty make sure you get one that comes apart!!

4:most .22 will be subsonic from a walther P22

I used to have an integral 10/22. it clogged and got loud. I had it rebuilt to come apart. I've since traded it off.

I have a 22sparrow in transfer. when shopping for a .22 can I had narrowed it down to the AAC prodigy, Silencer Co 22 Sparrow, AAC element, and SWR Spectre. I found a 22 Sparrow in stock at a local dealer is why I chose that one.

HTH,
LM

I went with a Ruger 22/45.I bought a Tactical Solutions Pac-Lite upper for it . I use an SWR Warlock on it . It is very light and quiet . I also bought a Spectre , for the take-apart ability . I tend to use it on long-arms ...

I have an integral Ruger Mark 3 from SRT and a SWR Spectre thread on suppressor. The integral is quieter than my Buckmark/Spectre combo, but this may have more to do with the host than the suppressor. If i was only going to get one it would be a thread on. It gives you the option to use different hosts. With the Spectre I have the option of running 22 mag, 17HMR and FN's 5.7 round if I ever decided to get hosts in those calibers.

I would suggest the Silencerco sparrow. It is quiet, light, comes apart and priced right. We have shot it on multiple platforms without any trouble. Shot on a mosquito it seems to be as quiet as the amphibian S.

Thanks everyone. I'll be looking into those options.

LM - could you explain a little more about what problem you were having with the 5.56 can with the sig?

Did anyone see any accuracy problems with certain combos?

Thanks again for all the advice. This should be fun!

I have a MKII w/a Tactical Solutions upper and a Tactical Innovations Tac65. It will disassemble for cleaning. The combo is quiet enough with high velocity to hear the action and impact. With most subsonic ammo it will not cycle.

I chose to go with a removable can so I could switch it between different weapons and only have the one tax stamp.

For the first question. You will not want to use a 5.56 can on a 22LR. The 22lr is a very dirty round. There is a small amount of vaporized lead that comes out of the barrel with 22lr. This hits the baffles inside the can and hardens. The commercial cleaning products will not remove this lead build-up. At a point this lead will reduce the noise reduction qualities of the can. The other risk is that when you shoot 223 the blast forces can break a piece of this lead build-up loose. This can cause baffles strikes by the round and ruin the can.

A 5.56 can will be way to heavy to mount on a 22Lr pistol. It will not let a semi-auto cycle properly and you will wind up with non stop jams this way.

The best bet is to start with a dedicated 22lr can. get one that comes apart for cleaning because of the above mentioned issues. Don't do an integral because then the suppressor is married to that weapon. With a screw on can you can move the suppressor around to whatever 22lr gun you have that has threaded barrels.

Using a 22lr can for teaching your daughter is a great way for them to learn. I have 2 cans for 22lr and a third waiting on paperwork. I use them all the time for new shooters. It allows them to start with very minimal noise and virtually no recoil. It is a lot easier to have someone start shooting without a flinch, then fix a flinch once it is there.

I have the 22Sparrow. Picked it because of the ease of disassembly. I went with a removable so I could put it on a rifle and pistol.

Get a silencer that disassembles for cleaning. If you go with a 22Sparrow, get your barrels threaded to engage the 22Sparrow O-ring so you won't have to worry about the silencer getting loose while shooting.

The Ruger MK-series is my choice for a .22 pistol host. I had my barrel cut down to 4" to keep the cheap high velocity ammo subsonic.

Thanks everyone. I think I am going to go for the Ruger lower, a tac-sol threaded upper with the sparrow. Thanks for all the tips. Now to find the best dealer to go w/ in KY...

Keene's in Bardstown had a 22 sparrow in stock a couple weeks ago, but they wanted more than MSRP for it
frown.gif

You would not be disappointed with the Element, Prodigy, Spectre or sparrow when used with your tac sol upper and on a rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My questions:
1. Would a suppressor suitable for an Ar-15 be appropriate for a .22lr as well or would it be too heavy? Anybody try that? It would be nice to switch it from the pistol to my m4 clone without having to buy another for that.

2. Is an integral really that much more quiet?

3. Should I rule out suppressors that dont disassemble for the .22lr?

4. Anybody do the Walther setup? With the short barrel (around 3.4" i think) maybe I could use regular ammo and not have to find sub-sonic.

Thanks in advance for your replies...looking forward to setting up my first suppressed weapon.
</div></div>

1. A .223 suppressor is 7-8 times heavier than a .22 suppressor. Most .223 suppressors weigh more than many .22 host pistols.

2. I don't have first hand experience shooting an integral. But the muzzle mounted ones that I have used have been pretty quiet. For me the versitlity of a muzzle mounted suppressor far outweighs any sound benefit that may come from an integral.

3. .22 suppressors have been known to build up residue in their baffle systems. I personally would buy one that you can clean as they don't cost much more money than a sealed can. That being said, I have an SWR Warlock (sealed can) with well over 10K rounds through it and it still sounds great.

4. I have the Walther P22. Bulk ammo is subsonic, but my pistol is rather finicky on ammunition used. If you purchase one, do not use the slide release lever to release the slide. I have worn the slide out on my pistol, so now the slide release lever will not hold the slide open unless there is an empty mag holding the release in place. In my opinion, there are better .22 host pistols.

TAC 65 you can't go wrong. Quiet easy to maintain. Your local gunsmith should be able to thread a Rught MK2 barrel. I have all my 22's threaded now and use the TAC 65 on all of them. If you thread a 10-22 or 77-22 make sure the gunsmith only removes the front sight and as little of the band as possible, then the barrel can be threaded for the can. If too much is removed you will need a new barrel. I shoot CCI 22LR Subsonic for best results. Lots of feral cats where I live. Add a cheap NVD and you have the ultimate pest eraticator. JT Out