• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Advice on 338 LM Upgrade

Bamafan

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2008
Charlotte, NC USA
I currently own a Remington 700 Police in 338 Lapua. It has had a trigger job and an FTE Brake installed. Scope is a fitted with Luepold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 LR/T with M1 Turrets and the TMR Reticle mounted in Luepold Rings on a Nightforce 40 MOA Base.

I am considering the following:

Install a AICS stock that handles the CIP rounds and upgrade the scope to a Nightforce with MIL Turrets and a MIL Reticle. Issue with the Luepold is the MOA Turrets and the MIL Reticle.

Or keep the scope, sell the rifle and replace it with Sako TRG-42.

Rational is that once I upgrade the 700 with the AICS, I still have a 700. With the Sako, I then have a rifle that is built specifically to handle the 338LM round. I would still have the issue with scope but would have a much better rifle.

Any suggestions. I am fairly new to long range shooting and need some guidance.

Thanks!

Re: Advice on 338 LM Upgrade

Restock it with a HS, Manners, B&C, etc, have the action tured, lap your rings if you haven't already, bed with Marine Tex, enjoy, it'll shoot as good or better than a Sako.

Bamafan sounds like you have something against being a 700 owner...

Theres nothing wrong with them.

Then again theres nothing wrong with a TRG either.

Do what your heart is set on as its your rifle at the end of the day.

Your new to long range shooting ey... Do you handload? If not, get into that before anything else. Shooting factory .338LM is painful if your paying for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nobearsyet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> it'll shoot as good or better than a Sako. </div></div>
Pretty bold statement when we don't know the rifle shoots now. I have seen more than my fair share of Rem dogs that would not run unless rebarreled + all other upgrades you mentioned. Never seen a dog TRG. Granted a lot more Remmy out there but until we know what he is going to be happy with can't offer much constructive advice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bamafan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...582#Post2406582

Come on, one thread wasn't enough?</div></div>

Reason is no comments were made after I started threw the Sako in to the mix. Simple enough. </div></div>

Well I agree with your rational "I still have a 700". I shoot a 42 and if it were me would not sink the $ into the Rem. After shooting TRG's for the past 3 years I can say without reservation I would dump the 700 and go Sako, shoot the Leupold until you have option for another optic and I would never look back.

Here is my thought process:

Here is my background. Started precision shooting about 15 months ago. First rifle was a Remington 700 5R, which was fitted with the Leupold that is now on the 338. I consistently shoot .75 to 1.00 MOA with it on a consistent basis. This is the driver not the rifle. It is currently fitted with a Ziess Conquest. The rifle is on loan to my brother, who consistently shoots 1/2 MOA or better with the rifle and has taken an Antelope at 800 yards with it. He has stretched its legs out to 1,000 yards many times and I take his word for it that it is a tack driver.

Wanted to get a Sako but put it off and off because I could not talk my wife into it. Last April, I got a super deal on the 700 338 and bought it. My range time with it has been limited due to time and range limits. There just isn't any place close by where you can really stretch a 338. I spend a week or two each year at my Brother-in-Law's out west where there is more than enough room to shoot it.

Okay, the concern that I have with the 700 is that from what I have been told is that the 700 action was not designed for the 338 Action while the Sako was designed around the cartridge. Is that a limiting factor and something I need to think about.

I am wondering if putting all the money into the 700 is really worth it.

Thanks for all the guidance. It is very much appreciated. And yes, I was a dummy not to get a Sako in the first place.

Bamafan,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">issue with the Luepold is the MOA Turrets and the MIL Reticle</div></div>

Leupold's new M5 Turrets are MIL with 0.1 mil adjustments.

+1 for Sako everyday of the week. You'd probably be getting a better investment buying the Sako too!

I thought you could buy a 42 chambered for a 300 win mag-was this an after thought, as it was built around the 338 LM? More and more guns are coming out in 338LM, you have a good one now, wait a little bit, competition for your money may pay off $$$$.