• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on a good shooting mat.

317millhand

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 8, 2011
Hazard, Ky
I noticed that Midway has their brand on sale for pretty cheap, but does anyone have any recommendations?

Re: Advice on a good shooting mat.

I used a blue foam mat for a bit..works but not recommended. I just got the Midway Shooting mat. Can't beat $25 for a throw around beat around mat. I like it. I'll be getting the TAB mat if/when I do any competitions. It's smaller and more pack able.

Dave

Thanks for the suggestions. I really like the Eagle and was looking at that one earlier. I thing that a mat/case combo would suit my needs well

I use a Blackhawk shooters mat/case. I've had mine for about ten years. Works great, nothin' fancy, just good kit.

I'm very happy with my Midway mat. It is the bigger one. It has excellent padding and I can really sprawl out on it. I like the fact that I can use it to load the bipod also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm very happy with my Midway mat. It is the bigger one. It has excellent padding and I can really sprawl out on it. I like the fact that I can use it to load the bipod also. </div></div>

Another +1 for the Midway mat. It's not as handy as something like the HSRC but it's definitely comfortable and loaded with nice features. On top of it all, it's a great value, especially when on sale for half price.

I have the midway mat and love it. The only downside to it is the black textured portions get really hot when left in the sun while you tack targets.

Ditto on the heat pads on the Midway mat. Felt those before here in Nevada.

I have the larger Midway mat, and honestly I might have been happier with the smaller one. The large one is big, you sure can sprawl out on it.

I should add, I would buy either Midway mat again. Great value when on sale.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eagle HSRC </div></div> + 1

I have a TAB Mat and a Eagle HSRC, get both!

317millhand tell the Duke boys I said hi.

I'm a big fan of my Midway mat that I picked it up last black Friday for 30$. Its fantastically comfortable to shoot off of but I sometimes wish that I had a HSRC so I didn't have another big peace of gear to lug.

I use a 36" wide puss pad (old school military sleeping roll) and love it. I also have a Eagle HSRC and it too is very nice. I have been thinking about the Eberlestock A2SM for the $ they look FKA!

If you shoot in muddy or dirty conditions a roll up mat will get nasty on BOTH sides when you stow it.

A fold up will always have a clean side to lay on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you shoot in muddy or dirty conditions a roll up mat will get nasty on BOTH sides when you stow it.

</div></div>

BINGO!

The Midway mat gets all nasty if you shoot in any type of muddy or dusty terrain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you shoot in muddy or dirty conditions a roll up mat will get nasty on BOTH sides when you stow it.

</div></div>

Good point. I hadn't considered that.
Thanks.

This just in, no... Wait yep, as it turns out, just because the mat may be designed to roll up, doesn't mean you can't fold it, or even, god forbid, wipe it off quick. We are men right?? If you don't have some shop rags in your truck, then use your sanitary wipes.
I use midways pro series mat, I think 90% of the guys in our fclass league shoot with midway mats as well. Doesn't make it right, or wrong.

I had been using the Blackhawk Stalker Drag Mat for a couple years. On a whim, I bought the MidwayUSA Pro Series Competition Shooting Mat when it came on sale. I cannot believe that I used the BH model for that long. The Midway model is now my go-to mat now.

I have a TAB. I like it. It is light and rolls up a little bigger than a one liter nalgene. It is very simple (I like simple)- Waterproof fabric and some light padding at the top for elbows. Despite the padding being quite thin, it has been comfortable when shooting on gravel, pavement, and rocky ground.

The mat serves double duty, as I use it for a ground sheet when I'm tarp camping.

I have a Midway padded mat, and it works well. I also have a TAB gear mat that I put on top or use alone when weight is an issue.

I have a tab mat that is great for throwing in my shooting pack and taking with me..folds up very compact and is lite. When the ground is nasty i roll out the midway mat. Get them both if you can!

I have the basic Midway competition shooting mat & their 56" drag bag...got them both on sale for $100.00! You can't go wrong for the price as they're outstanding quality. Here's a couple of pictures for reference.

Cheers
cool.gif

2z8vre0.jpg

2qn0bgy.jpg

I have the same setup above except in green.

+1 on the mat getting very hot in the sun. Those black slip resistant spots get stupid hot. I burn the crap outta myself.

I like the bag too. The zippers suck but you get what you pay for... Got 'em both on sale too.

These are very popular mats so make sure you figure out a way to get your name on yours.

Have the same Midway mat but mine doesn't have those strips in black - they're almost the same color as the mat itself.

</div></div>

If you roll up the TAB mat with the UP side folded inward it doesn't get nasty.
wink.gif

Tab is great bag. I use mine regularly. I just bought a Gallatti after seeing it at the range this week. I think it's a better setup being able to have everything in one pack. Also, I like that the edges do not flip up in the wind. I have to use an extra bag or ammo to hold the edges down on my Tab mat