• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on action for budget build

Greene

Team Copper Creek
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2010
Albany, Kentucky
I know this is probably question that gets run in the ground. I have been searching the forum and trying to research as best I can but still have some questions.

I am wanting to build a new rifle and need help with the specs. Believe I'll go with a 260 rem. Wanting to build a kind of do all tactical rifle. Target shoot and varmint hunt. Think this caliber will work well. Then add a lower to accept DBM like AI mags, and a possibly a 26"fluted barrel.

Originally wanted to build off a Surgeon 591 action but my finances wont allow that so got to back up and punt.

Have been thinking about a factory 700 platform and having it trued up and wanted to know if all the 700 platforms are the same or are there some that are better that others etc. Like one that could be picked up off a complete rifle and stripped down. Would possibly consider a 700 custom foot print action if any one knows of a good one that would fit a reasonable budget build.

Plan on making this a winter build and going to sell my Ak-47 to get it started thanx.

My plans are to have complete rifle the way I want it in the 1500-2000 dollar range. So I guess would be a medium budget build.

Re: Advice on action for budget build

A factory rem 700 is a good choice theres really no diffrence between the factory actions. Keblys inc just came out with a rem 700 drop in style action called the Atlas starting at about $700 ive held it and looked at it at there shop and its a really nice action if its in your budget
http://www.kelbly.com/actions.html twords the bottom of the page

Buy a stevens action, put the barrel and stock on yourself, and spend the money you save on a nicer barrel or nicer glass.

The kelby action could work. Like I said have to sale the AK. But right know I am thinkin around 700-800 on the top side for a custom 700 action, reason is I will be selling off some of my odd and end rifles to fund this project. Also as things advance I'll watch the sale side of this site for good used stuff like stocks, dbm system etc

Hey a Surgeon RSR action is 786.00 dollars. Buy the time you find a Remington 700 and pay to have it trued your in the same amount. You can't beat this action for the price. Plus it already comes with a oversized bolt knob, fluted bolt, double pin recoil lug, #8x36 scope mount screws with 2 1/8th dow pin holes and there is a 20moa base for 150bucks made for it availible. OMG!! I got to get my order in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dogmessiah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy a stevens action, put the barrel and stock on yourself, and spend the money you save on a nicer barrel or nicer glass. </div></div>

I agree totally. You can even just buy it from factory and shoot it till you have funds gathered to begin replacing parts. As you go along and do the work yourself, or with some help from a gunsmith or experienced friend, you will learn alot along the way.

Yes, there are alot of actions out there that are good or great, but not many that are user/builder friendly without buying hundreds of dollars for special tools. Plus, the knowledge you gain will stay with you, even if you sell the project end result.

Accurate out of the box, user/builder friendly, cheap to get started... = SAVAGE/STEVENS.

DK

Thanks guys for all the help. Reason I was planning for a remmy style is wanted to use a bottom metal for AI mags and seems there is a lot more accesories available to build up a remmy with. Also if I found a good used action I have a Friend that used to work at Remmy Arms and he said he would help me smooth and true the action. He doesn't have all the tools any more to do rebarrels so that will have to go out of house.

Also I do have a Savage 10fp with a 28" McGowen barrel chambered in 6.5x47 lapua with B&C varmint/tactical stock. I like the savages but harder to find the parts to build the tactical rifle like I want.

Fair enough... I wish you the best of luck with your build!!

DK

Savage sells complete standard standard boltface varmint short actions with Accue-Trigger, recoil lug, bottom metal, and DM for $520 list. i believe they are configured for .308, and work fine with .260 cases. Quality aftermarket barrels and stocks, etc. abound.

Academy Sports sells short action rifles for $220-240, add a Rifle Basix trigger, a good stock and a Krieger or other quality barrel and you will be surprised how little you spent on a surprisingly accurate rig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Academy Sports sells short action rifles for $220-240, add a Rifle Basix trigger, a good stock and a Krieger or other quality barrel and you will be surprised how little you spent on a surprisingly accurate rig.</div></div>

Are these just the barreled actions because I'm not seeing it on their website? Does anyone know where you can pick up a barreled action from a reputable place?

I have a savage right now for my 6.5x47 and I like everything about it except it was a blind mag and has to be modified to take dpm.

I just wanted to get something on a remmy style because I have never had one before. I know that sounds stupid, plus from looking on here I see how some of the tactical rifles turn out on those platforms.

To give you guys an idea wanting to do something similar to dhutch's build.

SAC Build Completed! 6.5x47 Lapua

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRB45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Academy Sports sells short action rifles for $220-240, add a Rifle Basix trigger, a good stock and a Krieger or other quality barrel and you will be surprised how little you spent on a surprisingly accurate rig.</div></div>

Are these just the barreled actions because I'm not seeing it on their website? Does anyone know where you can pick up a barreled action from a reputable place? </div></div>

They are complete Stevens rifles, they are identical to my last Savage except the bolt is marked Stevens. They are made for an internal center feed magazine so they work with any of the DBM kits that use AI single stack magazines. Savage sells just the receiver for approx $520-550 but they sell the identical receiver in the Stevens package for $220 at Academy Sports. I put a used factory 20" heavy barrel on mine and it is more accurate than I am.

How much LR shooting have you done?

the 700 you can get them from Brownell's is hard to beat. Have it blueprinted and have a go.

Just starting to get into it actually. I have shot out to 300 to 350. Have tried 500 on my 6.5x47 but have a lot to learn.

Hoping to build a target out of some plate steel and set it up on my friends farm at about a 1000 to see what I can do.

I built my current precision rig on a Savage Model 12 action.
My next project will be built on a Remington.

Why?
I can buy a Remington ADL for about 345 dollars, I can ship that off to Hart and have them install one of their excellent barrels, true the action and lap the lugs for another 650. I can buy a B&C light tactical stock for 220 bucks, ship it off to CDI and have it inletted and fitted with their bottom metal all for just over 1500 bucks.

You have hit it pretty much on the head to why I was planning on a remington system. Thats just about the road I'm gonna try.

Thanks fdkay