• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Advice on chassis for Remington 700sa .308

jacobgsh

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2012
Douglasville GA
I am new to these forums, viewed many but just now posting. I need some suggestions on a chassis system for a Remington 700 sa in 308. I have built several AR's and a few 1911's, but this is my first precision rifle build. I have already learned a ton from different discussions on this site. I have done great work on the platforms I mentioned, but as I am learning more and more, long range precision rifles are a completely different animal. This rifle is going to be based on a Remington 700 .308 with a 26" heavy barrel which is arriving Thursday. It will just be for punching paper and steel at 1000+ yards. I want a good chassis with a dbm and suggestions on some decent glass. Any suggestions or help will be much appreciated. Thanks

Re: Advice on chassis for Remington 700sa .308

I have checked out the aics 1.5 and the evolution chassis from xlr, any other suggestions? I have about 1500 dollars left in budget for chassis, glass, bipod etc. And any input on ammunition specs, something that suits my purposes and won't break the bank practicing, but still of a good quality.

10595.jpg

STRIKE 30 Series Chassis for your build.
www.DRAKEASSOCIATES.us

It sounds like your budget wouldn't allow for quality glass AND a chassis system. I would suggest quality glass before anything else as I see it as more important than things like DBM. My suggestion is, watch the classifieds for a used Night Force, US Optics or Schmidt and Binder and upgrade other parts later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jacobgsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have about 1500 dollars left in budget for chassis, glass, bipod etc. </div></div>

The XLR, Mcree and AICS alike are all going to chew up the majority of your remaining budget and will leave you with approx. $500 +/- a few bucks for glass, bipod, etc... If not in a hurry to get out on the firing line, pick the chassis that suites you and save a little longer for glass and the other misc items. Building a piece at a time isn't such a bad thing as it allows you to get what you want and not settle for something of lesser quality just to get out and shoot. Just my .02

Spend the dough on the optics and ammo. Get behind a few other people's rifles and see what fits you better. AI, XLR, McRee, KRG Whiskey 3 are all great off the shelf chassis systems. Get what fits your ergonomics, not what looks cool.

Check out stocky stocks with such a low budget I personal would get a fixed hs presicion stock and a vortex viper pst or bushnell elite that's about the best your gonna get for the money. You will still need rings a base bipod etc...

That chassis has "everything" I want and the reviews are outstanding in all aspects (ergonomics, ease of install, reliability, stability, etc.), but the 2000 plus price tag is outside of my budget on this build.

I have a Bushnell elite fixed 10. And I could increase the budget if used it, but not sure if it will get me out there over 1000 yards.

The aics felt solid, but also small. I'm a big guy, and it would work, but I also want something comfortable if i'm dropping that much. As far as magnification, what is recommended? And base rise and rings? I am probably selling a few older projects so I could add another 6-800 within next 2 Weeks.

Glass: I'd look at SWFA SS HD 5-20x. high quality glass for a nice price. This should be your first priority. around $1200 for non-illuminated reticle.

In terms of chassis system- It's obviously ideal if you can get behind all of the systems you're looking at. I dropped my SPS into a manners T2A with the MCS mini-chassis system all in for about $1k. If you didn't like the thumbhole feature of the AICS, i'd also look at the AX AICS. This chassis system has PG and is a folder as well for a little more cash though. That being said, a HS precision stock without DBM would do you no wrong.

I agree with the others, building it out over time isn't such a bad option as you learn what you like/dislike.

Base+Rings: I'd look at TPS base and rings if you're on a budget. People around here like seekins as well, though i've never used them. Or you could go all out and get Badger or Leupold. 15 or 20 MOA base should do you fine.

I appreciate the input gentlemen. I will take my time. Find good glass and go from there. No point having a sub par rig out of impatience. I'll be asking for more advice as I build.

True...it is a tall order for all those items. If I were in your shoes, I place priority on the optic 1st (the SS 5-20X is so great for the cost), then get yourself a nice Harris bipod.

After that, start looking at whichever chassis you like. Do not leave out any of the Manners stocks with their beefy chassis made by Badger. I have a T4A (albeit with a different DBM), and I think it is the bees knees

McRee Precision. Great chassis, great customer service, Made in USA, a real value. CKruse

I'd look into the Sightron SIII series for the glass and try all of the chassis systems out before picking one. I would also suggest trying the HS fixed stock as well. I was ready to go with the chassis system and was sorting out which one when I finally shot with the HS Precision stock and won't look back now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drake Associates</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
10595.jpg

STRIKE 30 Series Chassis for your build.
www.DRAKEASSOCIATES.us</div></div>

That is awesome! I want one.

I also second the mcree's chassis. If I remember correctly Scotts still running a package deal of the complete chassis(Folder) with 1 mag for 735 shipped.

I actually went from an XLR to the Mcree's and I prefer the Mcree's myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jacobgsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The aics felt solid, but also small. I'm a big guy, and it would work, but I also want something comfortable if i'm dropping that much. As far as magnification, what is recommended? And base rise and rings? I am probably selling a few older projects so I could add another 6-800 within next 2 Weeks. </div></div>
Check out the KRG Whiskey 3.

I'm not going to suggest what brand/model etc. or even which part to get first. I'm 53 and over the years I've done things all different ways. I'm just now figuring out what really works for me when I do projects. I hate settling for less than the best. I have a habit of being very enthusiastic up front, get the project done, then find I am more interested in the next project than wearing out what I just built. So now I do this. I plan out what my dream outcome is. Don't fret the budget, over time, we all manage to make out. Pay up front for 1 good part, and if you have to wait, do like I do and start the next project planning. It's amazing how we somehow seem to find a way to then secure part #2. Before you know it, you got your project done without compromise, and you will be way more happy. Yes patience. Be frugal, but be wise frugal. I figured that if I clean my garage on Friday night with a six-pack instead of going to the neighborhood water hole, I save enough to pay for a special tool or piece of equipment. I know, I ramble....but take it slow, life is short enough. I have more guns than I have time to shoot. But I like having them.

I appreciate the input gentlemen. I went ahead and ordered a Ziess Conquest, and the Evolution chassis. Got some time handling a few more and that suited me best out of what I got my hands on. Now i'm in for a long wait. Guess I'll start another build to occupy my time til everything comes in.