• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on Converting Bergara B14 HMR 6.5CM into a switch lug rifle to also handle 6.5 PRC

eugevita

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2020
Hide members, looking for an azimuth check from those who have experience with 6.5 PRC and the West Texas ordnance switch lug technology.

I currently have a Bergara B14HMR in 6.5CM with KRG Xray Chassis and SWFA 5-20 HD scope. Very happy with the setup overall especially now that she is in the KRG Xray. Out to 1260ish yards the rifle does very well; in fact 1000 yards is easy to shoot under reasonable wind conditions. I have tried taking her to a mile twice but have not been able to score hits at that distance for a number of reasons. I know it is certainly possible to shoot a mile with 6.5CM and that it is not even that rare.

That said, I got to thinking after talking with my local gunsmith/machinist who suggested he could install a West Texas Ordnance Switch lug and set the gun to run both the original 6.5CM and a new 6.5 PRC barrel. The 6.5 PRC idea is really intriguing to me as I am thinking it might just give me the edge that I need to more easily bang steel at a mile. I know that 6.5 PRC is probably not as good for shooting a mile as 300 PRC, 300 WIN MAG, etc but I would really like to do it without getting a new rifle/scope and this switch lug technology seems like it could get me there more easily. Am I correct on this? Please let me know your experiences and if you think my reasoning is sound.

I am particularly interested in hearing from those who have shot the 6.5 PRC out to a mile, those who have a WTO switch lug in their rifle, as well as curious as to what AICS mags I would need in order to get the 6.5PRC ammo to work with my KRG Xray chassis and B14HMR short action setup. I take it that 6.5 prc does not fit into standard 308 aics mags like 6.5cm.

Any suggestions on a 6.5 PRC barrel? Not looking to go super expensive.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, I appreciate it!

Attachments

• IMG-3147.jpg
    IMG-3147.jpg
    735.8 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: AllAheadFull
Before you go down this road, have you searched the possibility of being able to acquire an additional bolt with a .535” bolt face needed for the 6.5 PRC?

Before you go down this road, have you searched the possibility of being able to acquire an additional bolt with a .535” bolt face needed for the 6.5 PRC?

Thank you for this comment, as embarrassing as it is to admit I completely overlooked this part of the equation. If I go this route it sounds like it would be best to buy an additional 6.5PRC bolt to facilitate quick caliber changes. This definitely adds a wrinkle to my plan as a new bolt is at least $175 from Bergara.

Thank you for this comment, as embarrassing as it is to admit I completely overlooked this part of the equation. If I go this route it sounds like it would be best to buy an additional 6.5PRC bolt to facilitate quick caliber changes. This definitely adds a wrinkle to my plan as a new bolt is at least $175 from Bergara.

The additional bolt is a necessity if you plan on adding 6.5 PRC to the mix as your current bolt isn’t compatible.
Aside from the bolt, you’d be looking at the cost of the switch lug ($125), the cost to have the switch lug pinned to the action, an additional barrel blank ($300-$400 for stainless/ less if you order an inexpensive Xcaliber blank) cost to have the chamber cut and muzzle threads ($450 average), the cost to retrofit your current barrel, and the cost of magazines ( accurate wsm $70).

You may be better off in contacting Bergara to see if they will spin up a PRC barrel with an additional bolt for your action and eliminate the switchlug.

Reactions: eugevita
I've got nothing against Bergara....but it might be easier to get an Bighorn Origin and another bolt head.
Keystone Accuracy can spin you up a barrel for a good price...in basically any contour you want. I know that John has a 6.5PRC reamer.

Nucleus or origin with a prefit.
Keystone makes great pre fits.

You’d probably have to notch the feed ramp as well on the Bergara

The additional bolt is a necessity if you plan on adding 6.5 PRC to the mix as your current bolt isn’t compatible.
Aside from the bolt, you’d be looking at the cost of the switch lug ($125), the cost to have the switch lug pinned to the action, an additional barrel blank ($300-$400 for stainless/ less if you order an inexpensive Xcaliber blank) cost to have the chamber cut and muzzle threads ($450 average), the cost to retrofit your current barrel, and the cost of magazines ( accurate wsm $70).

You may be better off in contacting Bergara to see if they will spin up a PRC barrel with an additional bolt for your action and eliminate the switchlug.
When you say it that way it is certainly discouraging though I do think you are overall on the money. Speaking of money it sounds like it may be even cheaper to get brand new rifle in a different caliber. Thank you for the info!

Nucleus or origin with a prefit.
Keystone makes great pre fits.

You’d probably have to notch the feed ramp as well on the Bergara

Agreed, sell the Bergara and just get a Nucleus or Origin with shouldered barrels and an action wrench. Steel and I have mentioned this in other switch barrel threads, but in most situations, it also seems that the pain to switch barrels and bolt heads is usually enough to justify another rifle. The cost of having a smith put the switch barrel lug on isn't worth it, IMO, when the cost of getting a new action is so low. In fact, you should look at the Mack Bros Evo action for less than $600 bucks before you mess with the switch barrel thing at all.

When it comes to a 6.5 PRC in a short action, you are neutering that round a bit because of OAL and magazine limitations. Consider the 6.5 sherman short mag if you really want to maximize the 6.5 in a short action.

Just a couple thoughts, there. But, if you want a switch barrel, you can do it on the Bergara. It will take a new bolt, possibly notching the bottom of the action, and a smith to pin a lug and chamber the barrel. With an action wrench, swapping the barrel after the smith gets it tuned up is easy enough and you don't have to pull the barreled action or scope if you have an internal action wrench. The cost of the smith might make a budget custom a better deal for you in the end, definitely run the numbers and check out recent switch barrel threads in this sub forum. It comes up regularly...

Bergara was spinning up chambered and threaded barrels for their rifles for under $600 I believe, maybe with cerakote. With a good barrel vice and tools, the process does become less tedious and aggravating imo.

Agreed, sell the Bergara and just get a Nucleus or Origin with shouldered barrels and an action wrench. Steel and I have mentioned this in other switch barrel threads, but in most situations, it also seems that the pain to switch barrels and bolt heads is usually enough to justify another rifle. The cost of having a smith put the switch barrel lug on isn't worth it, IMO, when the cost of getting a new action is so low. In fact, you should look at the Mack Bros Evo action for less than $600 bucks before you mess with the switch barrel thing at all.

When it comes to a 6.5 PRC in a short action, you are neutering that round a bit because of OAL and magazine limitations. Consider the 6.5 sherman short mag if you really want to maximize the 6.5 in a short action.

Just a couple thoughts, there. But, if you want a switch barrel, you can do it on the Bergara. It will take a new bolt, possibly notching the bottom of the action, and a smith to pin a lug and chamber the barrel. With an action wrench, swapping the barrel after the smith gets it tuned up is easy enough and you don't have to pull the barreled action or scope if you have an internal action wrench. The cost of the smith might make a budget custom a better deal for you in the end, definitely run the numbers and check out recent switch barrel threads in this sub forum. It comes up regularly...

Thank you for the info, it really sounds like this project is cost prohibitive. I was thinking 6.5 PRC as I thought it would be easy to have a 6.5 prc barrel to interchange with my 6.5 CM barrel. If this is no longer the plan I am not sure 6.5 PRC is the best caliber for me.

I am going to talk to my shop and see what they say. That said, based on all the feedback I dont see how I could possibly do this for less than the cost of a new rifle. At which point it almost makes more sense to get a brand new 300 prc rifle as that would work well for shooting a mile; if only that new rifle did not require a scope which then again also costs a bunch.

At the end of the day I have some things to ponder. I do know that I will keep my HMR in 6.5, it is a shooter and I can maybe even get it to a mile with good luck and some ELDMs. Ammo cost is also only going up lately which is no bueno.

Reactions: tuscan
At the end of the day I have some things to ponder. I do know that I will keep my HMR in 6.5, it is a shooter and I can maybe even get it to a mile with good luck and some ELDMs. Ammo cost is also only going up lately which is no bueno.
You’d be surprised at how well the 6.5CM can do at a mile with any decent 130-140 bullet.
I’ve personally witnessed half a dozen 6.5’s get hits at a mile or more including a few from Snipers hide.

You’d be surprised at how well the 6.5CM can do at a mile with any decent 130-140 bullet.
I’ve personally witnessed half a dozen 6.5’s get hits at a mile or more including a few from Snipers hide.

Yea I certainly know it can be done. Thus far I have tried twice. First time the range was about to close and I only had a few mins; cranked off a couple shots and my spotter saw the impacts on berm, elevation was on but windage was off and we just did not have time to figure things out. Second time I tried a couple of shots, hotter than hell out, end of day and for whatever reason my spotter was not able to see neither impacts nor trace so no idea how that went. I was shooting Hornady American Gunner 140BTHP which I regularly shoot out to 1260 yards with pretty good results. I wonder if i try hornady 140GR ELDM which is more expensive if that will get me to a mile a bit more easily.

I think picking up a second rifle makes a lot of sense. If it is a dedicated long range shooter, the 12 power fixed SWFA for less than 250 bucks used is enough to get it done.

Or, get a good mount for your scope and learn how to swap it out. That's no harder than swapping barrels once set up.

The 140ELDM is a better bullet than the 140BTHP.
Oh I am well aware, just a lot more pricey. Currently I cant even find am gunner 140 BTHP for under 1 buck per round ) :

Hopefully this passes soon!

I think picking up a second rifle makes a lot of sense. If it is a dedicated long range shooter, the 12 power fixed SWFA for less than 250 bucks used is enough to get it done.

Or, get a good mount for your scope and learn how to swap it out. That's no harder than swapping barrels once set up.
What mount are you suggesting?

I have never had good luck with swapping scopes on pic rails when the mounts always claimed they would return to zero...somehow it was never really the case.

I am also a big SWFA fan! My 5-20 which is on my HMR is awesome!

What mount are you suggesting?

I have never had good luck with swapping scopes on pic rails when the mounts always claimed they would return to zero...somehow it was never really the case.

I am also a big SWFA fan! My 5-20 which is on my HMR is awesome!

A good one piece mount. I like my MPA one piece, its a Zero Delta model. Get a torque wrench and don't get a QD model.

You will have roughly the same problems with zero shift moving a scope as swapping barrels. There is no free lunch... but rezeroing isn't as bad if you have good stuff and figure out how to control it. It should always be close. A one piece mount can help.

A good one piece mount. I like my MPA one piece, its a Zero Delta model. Get a torque wrench and don't get a QD model.

You will have roughly the same problems with zero shift moving a scope as swapping barrels. There is no free lunch... but rezeroing isn't as bad if you have good stuff and figure out how to control it. It should always be close. A one piece mount can help.

thank you for the tip, I will look into it!

Or even quality rings.
I’ve pulled my scope in ARC rings a few times and if your careful at putting it back on tight to recoil side of the lugs you’re zero will barely change if at all.

Or even quality rings.
I’ve pulled my scope in ARC rings a few times and if your careful at putting it back on tight to recoil side of the lugs you’re zero will barely change if at all.

I take it this is the mount you reccomend?

I didn't realize Zero Delta only made a cantilever. Here is the MPA version that is better for a bolt action.

I run the M 10 pair of rings, and have pulled my scope and put it back on with essentially no zero shift a couple times. I have never used the one piece, but it would be solid too. You have more choice on scope height with individual rings.

I didn't realize Zero Delta only made a cantilever. Here is the MPA version that is better for a bolt action.

I run the M 10 pair of rings, and have pulled my scope and put it back on with essentially no zero shift a couple times. I have never used the one piece, but it would be solid too. You have more choice on scope height with individual rings.

The gold standard of rings in my opinion.
In fact I need to order another pair to get a bit more height for the Charlie tarac I just got.

appreciate the info gentlemen, i have some thinking to do! I do think I need to try the ELDMs next time a shoot a mile with my 6.5 CM.

I saw my shot today and mentioned the bolt face issue to my smith, he apologized and admitted he totally did not think of that when he suggested switch lug.

For now I will stick with my trusty 6.5CM B14, at some point perhaps I will get a 300 PRC for the real ELR stuff!

If you wanted to keep the dream alive....

Cut a 6.5 x 284 barrel and single feed it. Same bolt face...

Thank you for the info, it really sounds like this project is cost prohibitive. I was thinking 6.5 PRC as I thought it would be easy to have a 6.5 prc barrel to interchange with my 6.5 CM barrel. If this is no longer the plan I am not sure 6.5 PRC is the best caliber for me.

I am going to talk to my shop and see what they say. That said, based on all the feedback I dont see how I could possibly do this for less than the cost of a new rifle. At which point it almost makes more sense to get a brand new 300 prc rifle as that would work well for shooting a mile; if only that new rifle did not require a scope which then again also costs a bunch.

never sell a rifle that shoots well - save up and buy a new rifle. In the meantime, you can figure out how to shoot a mile with your 6.5