• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on good Bore guides?

Bladestryke82

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2013
I'm looking for advice on a good bore guide for my LA Rem 700. Nothing that will break the bank but nothing poor quality. Also a good place to purchase one?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Also for a cleaning rod, I purchase a Tipton carbon fiber rod. I have a 7mm(.284) bore and the rod is the 27 to 45 caliber rod. Is this rod too big for my bore? Should I send it back for the 22 to 26 caliber rod or will this one work fine? I'm just worried about the tolerances being too tight.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Not that the others won't work but the Lucas is the way to go. Spend the extra $$$, you will be happy you did.

I'd go Sinclair at minimum.

I recently bought a LUCAS for my new 6.5 x 47 build and it's a very nice guide. Yeah it's somewhat overpriced and extravagant....but it IS a very nice guide. Probably as good as it gets too.

I have a few lucas bore guides. Very nice. I also have some of the Sinclair bore guides. If Lucas guides were still available for $40, I'd still be buying them. But now I just go with the $20 Sinclairs. Maybe not as nice as the Lucas guides, but plenty good for my needs.

Never tried a Lucas guide but they look nice. I have a Pro Shot bore guide that seems to work fine, though I have nothing to compare it to. J Dewey rods as mentioned above, I love mine and will buy them in other calibers as needed.

Not sure if anyone answered your question about rod size, but the rod you have is correct.

Lucas Bore Guides.... best in the business....

Go to Benchrite Professional Shooting Equipment and give them a call, they will take care of you! Great people, awesome bore guide!

I second Lucas bore guides and Benchrite. Steve at Benchrite is great shipping fast, just outstanding. Also got Dewey rods from them and couldn't be happier, he also can get you anything you might need even if you don't see the caliber.

Last edited:
Possum Hollow make a very good bore guide. I use them on my TRG 22 and AIAW and Dewey coated rods.

Last edited:
Anyone able to contact Possum Hollow, between my buddy and I several emails and two phone calls not answered/returned over the last month or so. Thought I remembered they were moving? Are they still in business? Thanks

T.K. Nollands,Barrel Saver, Rod Guide with a Dewey Coated or Parker Hale cleaning rod, Sinclair International makes a decent rod guide also.