• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Advice On OCW workup

davisj3537

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Shooting at the intersection of the bold lines (all the top groups are 1/4MOA high and left.) It seems like my OCW is 2.5grains wide. I don't understand.

Not sure it matters, but 300WM, 212 ELDX, IMR 4350

Attachments

• photo67479.jpg
    photo67479.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 12
4350 is pretty fast for 300wm with heavy bullets. Looks to me like 44-44.6 then you might be getting close to the high node on the other end. I would look at RL26, H1000, 7977, or 4831 as the fastest I would use. It is in fact what I use. I have 7977 once I get everything back together I plan on making the switch.

Looks fairly consistent across the range of loads you shot. However, and I realize this may seem like voodoo more than anything else, but I think there may be a node in the vicinity of 64.3 and another one around 66.2. You may want to try probing around these areas at a 0.2 grain resolution.

Per chance, did you record velocities for these shots? A flattening or plateau in the charge/muzzle velocity graph may also indicate location of a possible node.

Good luck!

I think you're both right. The two worst groups are two graduations from the nodes you listed.

im gonna load up 64.3 and do some seating depth adjustments.

Before I do that I was hoping for an education on why 4350 isn't great. What is the disadvantage of too fast of a powder. I have a ton of 4350. Am I just losing a little velocity or is it bigger than that?

Premature pressure and you don't get push the entire length of the barrel, it burns up hot and quick and you're left with less end velocity. 4350 is a relatively slow powder in the grand scheme but it's not magnum rifle slow. I'm not a magnum buff but H1000 would be my first powder choice.

Id say that's a pretty varied ocw, they start out high and work their way down towards the horizontal line and then work back up towards the final with some right to left back right again motion as well. Looks like you could work a couple tenths either side of 64.7 or take the 66.1 and do a seating depth test.

Thanks for the advice gents. I just figured it was in the book so I'd be good to go. Given how popular H1000 is that'd have been my first choice had I not already had all this 4350. Sounds like I'll just use the 4350 for the 260 and get me some h1000.

Kind of makes me think it would likely be slightly over 3000fps with H1000 given how fast it was going with near minimum IMR4350. Hell I load a quarter inch over SAAMI too so I likely can bump the powder up over book max if I wanted.

Every 300 win mag i have built will shoot 208-215gr bullets with 77gr of H1000. Tweak a little up or down but 77gr of h1000 is the ticket.