• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Advice on picking a scope nf or razor

ubet

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2008
Commifornia no longer
I have a gen 1 pst and am wanting to upgrade. The three scopes in looming at are the 4.5-27 razor 2, atacr 5-25 or the 7-35. It's going on a 700 5r in 308. The 7-35 is pretty far out of what I WANT to spend, but if it requires saving or selling the wife, and is worth it, I might consider it. I handled the vortex and 5-25 the other day. The glass in the vortex actually appeared better, to me. What are your guys thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

the best advice you can get is to get the one YOU like best, and that includes rect, glass, turrets...mostly in that order.

It looks like you preferred the Gen2. Congrats its a heck of a scope.

Regards,
DT

I own many ATACR's in 5-25. Love them. The NF 5-25x56 would be my recommendation.
I was curious to view the new 7-35 when it was released. I have only looked through a friends 7-35 ATACR with a heavy mirage at distance. I found that extra power useless that day. I might had a different opinion if weather conditions had been different. 99% of my shooting is 6 creed. I don't feel the extra power beneficial to me. If I were a ELR shooter, I'd take another look at the 7-35.

You are going to find a lot of good scopes in that magnification. IMHO, 35x is a bit strong for a 7.62 round. I shoot a variety of guns and a variety of scopes. Since you are already looking at NF and Vortex Razor, you have two scopes that I also have. Not to throw you off, but I would also consider the S&B 5x25. Personally, I like the S&B and NF for more running around, in the brush, tactical and durability, and the Razor when you are not going to drop your scope or hit it on something. S&B and NF are built to take a hammer to them. I am not saying Vortex is fragile, but just in a different class. All three, plus others are very fine scopes, and like DT said, best to spend some time looking and handling, and see what you like in terms of reticles, eyebox, handling of the turrets, and, of course, how cool it looks on your weapon. :rolleyes:

I would also recommend the NF ATACR 5-25X56 or the NF 5.5-21X56 if SFP scopes meet your demands. If not than one of the ATACR F1 series FFP scopes.

I am not saying Vortex is fragile, but just in a different class:

Just curious as to what led you to this conclusion.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of those choices. I love my NF scopes and that would probably be my first choice but the Razors have proven to be tough and dependable also. Hard to beat the Gen2 Razor for the money.

I'm surprised to hear that there is a perception that the Vortex Razor is less than a brute. I would be interested in reading about what led longhot2000 to that conclusion as well...

The NF Atacr F1 4-16 would be great on a 308 too. Love mine! I also have another Gen 1 Razor HD 5-20 and they are also damn good scopes, and you can usually find them for close to half of what the Gen2 Razors are going for. Lots of great options out there, especially in the price range you're dabbling in.

I have two of the Gen II razors and they get used ALOT. Tough as nails IMO. Having said that, you couldn't go wrong with anything you listed. I would agree with Longshot however that the NF 7-35 is overkill for a 308.

I would mirror the advice of DT and LS. Spend some time using the models that you've identified and buy based on your criteria. I would only add one thought to their remarks. The extra mag on the 7-35 is NOT why to consider it. It does have noticeably improved abilities to discern fine details in darker or shadowy conditions. It is also easier to look through continuously than my 5-25 ATACR's-its glass is better, but you won't really see the details looking through one across the parking lot of the sporting goods store. That being said I rarely shoot on full magnification due to mirage issues. Try to spend some time using or looking through the models you like at the range or any matches. Good luck with whatever you decide.

While the 7-35 does have some advantages other than its extra magnification, I plan on picking up a NF 4-16 for my .308. Smaller, lighter, and 16x is more than enough for me to take the .308 to my limits. If you really feel the need to have 25+ on your mag ring, pick the reticle you prefer and go. You spend more time looking at the reticle than anything else.

I'm surprised to hear that there is a perception that the Vortex Razor is less than a brute. I would be interested in reading about what led longhot2000 to that conclusion as well...

My Razor appears to be the same. I should have prefaced my remarks. NF and S&B are proven in battle and have seen some very rough handling and still keep working. My experience is that most Razor buyers are precision shooters, and the need for battle-ready hardiness is not the same in PRS. And, price is as such. Military ready scopes put more abuse in their testing and specs that are not needed for PRS.