• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Advice on which Spuhr mount for my setup

ltdmstr

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2013
ORD
I got a nice deal on a new SB 5-25x56 PMII that I'm going to mount on a Defiance Deviant action that's in an AI/AX chassis. I'm going to use a Spuhr ISMI mount, but am having a problem deciding which one. The problem is that the 34mm ring size models that are 3mil (10.3moa) or 6mil (20.6moa) are only available in 30mm or 38mm height. 30mm is too short and the 38mm will work but is really way more than what I need (and want). They do make a 34mm height, but it is 0 mil. So the question is, do I get the SP-4006 which is 34mm height and 0mil or the SP-4602 which is 38mm height and 6mil? The rifle currently has a .308 Bartlein barrel but I am swapping that out for a Proof 6.5 and will be using it to 1k or more.

It seems that if you're going to be shooting extended ranges and you need the cant, then you'll be stuck with the higher mount. I'd think all the adjustability in the AX stock would negate the scope being a little higher than necessary.

-Kirby

Your action has 20 MOA built in, right? If so, it’s plenty. get the 0 mil cant mount.

The Deviant should have a 20MOA rail built in. I have two and they both do. You don't need any more cant, especially with a 6.5. The 4006 0-MOA mount using the SB 5-25, on a built in 20MOA rail will get you to the limits of a 6.5 with room to spare, and will get you to 2000 with a .338. I'm running the 4006 on my Deviant 6.5, and bought another to use on my .338 Norma. The Norma currently has just straight, 0-cant rings, but will get to 2000 with the 20MOA rail of the Deviant and the amount of travel the SB has available.

I have a 3 MIL (10.3 MOA) SP-4302 on my B-25. This sits on my Surgeon (20 MOA base). The 30.3 MOA tilt has small shadowing with a 100 yd zero, but when I dial 2.8 mil for a 500 yd target, there is no shadow. The shadow disappears at 0.5 mil on my B-25. I can dial 30.0 mil before I max out my turret (mileage will vary with other scopes). With your .308, you should only need about 11.0 mil of drop to get you to 1000 yds.

Ok, if there's 20 MOA in the Deviant rail, then the zero MOA SP-4006 is perfect and exactly the height I need. Gotta admit I feel pretty dumb not realizing the action had 20 MOA in it, but the rifle was built a while ago and I haven't looked at the specs since then. You guys are great for pointing that out. Much appreciated!

If you decide to get one through OpticsPlanet, end an email to their sales team and ask for a discount on whatever mount you want.
I paid $360.55 for mine (free shipping). It was originally for sale for $410, but after asking for a discount, they cut the price.
[email protected]
or you can use their live chat button on the top left of the screen. Depending on the hour/day, the live chat button may not be there.

That's a good price. Unfortunately, I'm about 5 min. away from OP so they have to charge me 9.5% sales tax and that pretty much kills the discount. I have a dealer account with Eurooptic, so I ordered one from them.