• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Advice - What would you do? Optics/Training?

DosMeadowlandos

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2009
Connecticut
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade my scope and have set a budget that would allow me to get some of the best scopes out there. The fixed 10 Super Sniper I currently have is definitely capable of supporting me going forward...however I'm starting to understand that I could be more accurate and have better chances of understanding what is going on down range with more magnification and better glass.

What would you do in this case? I mostly do target shooting between 200 & 400 yards (paper & steel). I would like to try F/TR sometime in the future along with a few precision rifle competitions once I've had a chance to try one out.

The top 3 pieces of glass in the running are (All .1 MIL):

Schmidt & Bender 3-20x50 PM II/LP/MTC/LT H2CMR
Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15x50 Gen II XR
Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 EBR-2B

What my dilemma really comes down to is I know they are all TOP NOTCH rifle scopes, however if I were to get the Premier or the Vortex I would be saving a considerable amount of money.

Would you forego that and get the 'best' right out of the gate? The trepidation comes from thinking that if I got the Premier or the Vortex I would have a considerable amount of money left over for bullets, brass, and primers...along with possibly funding a trip out to Rifles Only for some SOLID training.

Would you just get the S&B and then delay the training another year? I'm already working through the bulk of the Sniper's Hide Online training.

I appreciate any help and insight you may have.

Thanks!

Jake

Re: Advice - What would you do? Optics/Training?

I know it's not on your list, but I'd forgo the S&B and look at the NXS F1. It's a rock solid optic and from the sounds of your budget, it will still leave you the funding for a trip to RO. You're never going to replace good training with nice glass and get the same results. If I had to choose from the optics presented, I'd pick whichever will leave you enough cash to head out for some training. In the long run, you'll be miles ahead getting training sooner rather than later. Just my .02

Play the balancing act that will allow for your training. the training may allow for you to see new options, different reticles, different magnification ranges that you really like. This might help you steer to the best choice for you. Also, training is like having good books, the knowledge you can get is priceless and will help you greatly.

Trevor B.

If you're thinking about F-Class, particularly LR (past 600 yd), I think you will find the scopes you listed do not have sufficient mag. Without going all the way to 42X at the top end, another possibility would be the NF NXS 8-32x56. You could go with the NP-R1 or NP-2DD reticle and MOA turrets, which would allow for 0.25 MOA or even 0.125 MOA turrets for slightly finer adjustment. Alternatively, you could go with the MLR reticle and mil turrets, which although not necessarily ideal for F-Class, would give you more flexibility with other types of shooting. This is a SFP scope and would cost you in the neighborhood of $1900.00 to $2200.00, depending on the options you chose.

I have the Premier 3-15x50 light tactical. It is a great scope, and would be plenty power for the ranges you are shooting.

No question the S&B compares favorably and you can't go wrong with it.

The Premier Light tactical is limited with elevation, and I personally view it as too much of a compromise with what they cost versus what you're getting for lack of elevation. Also, Premier is sort of working through some kinks right now.

The S&B is a high quality scope that will last a lifetime. The tradeoff is that it's very expensive.

The Vortex is by far the best bang for the buck with the most value. The new ocular housing is supposed to be a huge improvement, and the new 10mil turrets are a big help. The scope is very bulky and heavy, so that's an added problem.

I think the best option is to look into a used Nightforce F1. There are two for sale right now for $1800 in the Optics for Sale section. Jump on that.
Otherwise, look for used optics as they come along.

Thank You very much, everyone!

I appreciate your replies and your insight into this. I'm starting to think that a used optic is the best way to go and also to not spend over $2,000.00 until I've funded myself two training classes and the associated ammo and travel.

- Jake