• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aero m5 308 Upper Accuracy

Beachhead192

Private
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2020
What kind of accuracy are you guys seeing from Aero 308 uppers (with their standard barrels, ballistic advantage, I believe)?

So far I've only shot about 80 rounds through mine. I'm getting about 1 moa 5 shot groups and I got a 1.9 inch 10 round group at 100 yards. All done off a bipod with a rear bag on a fairly windy day. It's on an Aero lower with a hyperfire trigger (about 2 lbs).

I'm hoping it will settle down a bit and be a little bit more accurate.

Moa is the worst I've hsd with the 3 I owned. I had one that was much better but, now don't laugh, that was riding a 16" bull ss bca barrel. You'll be fine, its an inexpensive platform to get comfortable with and you can easily swap out later for better barrel if you feel the need

Can I ask what ammo produced the 5rd and 10rd group ?

Is this your first Large Frame AR?

There is a chance it will settle in more.

IMHO, clean the barrel well, and record its progress... if it gets better, and you are content with the group sizes, you are GTG.

If it doesn't get better... up grade your barrel. Ammo is to expensive to waste on a non-performing barrel.

Mine even with Federal GM I'm getting groups in 2moa or worse. I only have a 6x scope but I doubt it would have helped much. Honestly I wasn't expecting much. I only plan on hunting with the rifle.

Can I ask what ammo produced the 5rd and 10rd group ?

Is this your first Large Frame AR?

There is a chance it will settle in more.

IMHO, clean the barrel well, and record its progress... if it gets better, and you are content with the group sizes, you are GTG.

If it doesn't get better... up grade your barrel. Ammo is to expensive to waste on a non-performing barrel.

The 10 round group was with ADI 168gr HPBT Match.

I did five round groups with FGMM 168gr, ADI 168gr and Browning Long Range Pro 168gr Tipped Sierra Match King. The FGMM and ADI were consistently under an MOA with the best group of the bunch being about 0.6 MOA.

The Browning ammo shot the worst, the best group with it was maybe 1.3MOA or so maybe closer to 1.5 for a 5 round group. The worst group was probably pushing close to 2MOA.

I didn't think the groups were bad, except the Browning, they just weren't as good as the guns I typically shoot for groups.

Aside from never shooting that Browning ammo through it, I don't think I'll worry about changing the barrel, but I just wanted to see if people were getting roughly the same types of groups that I am.

Yes, it's my first large frame AR.

The 10 round group was with ADI 168gr HPBT Match.

I did five round groups with FGMM 168gr, ADI 168gr and Browning Long Range Pro 168gr Tipped Sierra Match King. The FGMM and ADI were consistently under an MOA with the best group of the bunch being about 0.6 MOA.

The Browning ammo shot the worst, the best group with it was maybe 1.3MOA or so maybe closer to 1.5 for a 5 round group. The worst group was probably pushing close to 2MOA.

I didn't think the groups were bad, except the Browning, they just weren't as good as the guns I typically shoot for groups.

Aside from never shooting that Browning ammo through it, I don't think I'll worry about changing the barrel, but I just wanted to see if people were getting roughly the same types of groups that I am.

Yes, it's my first large frame AR.
I fully agree, the groups aren't bad at all. Those are groups I would expect / hope for from a BA barrel.

I asked about it being your first Large Frame , because they "require" a different bench technique than a AR15 or bolt gun.

This one example...

I fully agree, the groups aren't bad at all. Those are groups I would expect / hope for from a BA barrel.

I asked about it being your first Large Frame , because they "require" a different bench technique than a AR15 or bolt gun.

This one example...

It's worth trying. I'll checkout the video.