• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Aero M5 receiver owners, a small favor please?

Mn_Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2008
Minnesota
I was wondering if one of you M5 receiver set owners could do me a favor and measure from the face of the buffer to the face of the lower as seen in the pic?

WcuY8RI.jpg

I have reason to believe my m lower may be out of spec...
9W2rdYi.jpg

The original buffer retainer has had it's pin bent forward.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

ETA:

On second thought... That measurement won't make a difference it the retainer hole is out of spec... Will it?

Last edited:
Just run a JP silent captured spring where you actually remove that detent and spring, then it won't matter if it is out of spec.

Not the same issue but I had an M5 Aero lower out of spec. They replaced it after confirming it was out of spec. Mag wouldn't stay in the magwell. The didn't mill deep enough inside the magwell. So wouldn't be the first M5 lower I've seen out of spec.

I was considering an Aero lower for a future build. Are they known to have issues?

I didn't think so but now I'm beginning to wonder. I know for a fact their 308 BCG's have/had problems. Bolt issues. Key problems. Hack staking. Took 3 returns before I got that squared away.

I contacted Aero but have yet to hear back from them. I consider this kind of a minor set back but, none the less, it's still out of spec. I have a few fixes for this ranging from free to close to $200....

Gonna go cheap charlie and work up if necessary.

I was considering an Aero lower for a future build. Are they known to have issues?

I have been using Aero AR15 loweres for years without a single issue. The first M5 lower I got had the above noted issue. Customer service was a PITA to deal with. Took 3 months once they received my lower to get me a replacement. Told me the guy handling it was fired and his desk was a mess. Finally got upper mgmt and they got me a new lower. The replacement lower was great, never had a single issue with it. Fit and finish was great with the replacement lower and M5 upper. Gun was very accurate but fitment of barrel to upper was no where near as tight as my MEGA.

I know this is a few days past the OP, but measured two of mine when I remembered to. I got anywhere between .064" to .066", was not easy to measure for consistent reading for what I had to measure with.

I know this is a few days past the OP, but measured two of mine when I remembered to. I got anywhere between .064" to .066", was not easy to measure for consistent reading for what I had to measure with.

I appreciate your effort, sir! In comparison, after rotating the buffer a few time ans taking 9 measurements, mine averaged .039". A good 20+ thou difference. Here's my fix...

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/0ufE3Uf.jpg"}[/IMG2]

A stainless buffer retain with and offset pin. I does have a register of sorts that prevents any major twist or camming...

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/HYEvaCn.jpg"}[/IMG2]

^ With the standard mil-spec buffer retainer... ^

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/g8piZRC.jpg"}[/IMG2]

^ With the new retainer with the offset pin... ^

With the new buffer retainer installed, following the same measuring procedure as before, my new average increased to .098". Initial bench and backyard testing, the new set up came through with flying colors. Rifle functioned as it should and there wasn't a mark on the buffer or BCG! At this point, I'm optimistic this "bandaid" solved the issue.

As a side note... As of this writing, Aero Precision yet to respond to my customer service request that was sent DIRECTLY to a "manager". I had his email due to another issue that was BCG related. My guess is that their phone will start ringing on Wednesday.

Last edited:
As a follow up...

Areo Precision FINALLY got back to me and offered to take a look at the lower. They were apologetic and seems genuinely interested in solving this issue. Not wanting to tear down the rifle and with the new offset pin retainer I'm getting full function, I declined to send it in. I sent them my serial number and they were going to check to see if any other lowers in that "run" had problems. I have not heard back. If I have any other issues, I'll go that route. However, currently I'm optimistic I'm have no more problems. Fingers crossed.

Just finished putting a M5 build together and I have had no issues with it at all. I have heard of BCG issues but from the research I did they seem to have gotten it squared away. Hopefully they get you fixed up.