• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aero Precision opinions and experiences wanted

Mwalex

Private
Minuteman
  • Jun 8, 2011
    All, I need another AR like I need another hole in my head or ex-wife but I am interested in buying a mid-cost receiver set and stashing for later. I like what I am seeing with the Aero Precision M4E1 set and it looks like it would be a good foundation for a build. What are the experiences and opinions of people that have used AP in builds or that have rifles based on AP receivers?

Thanks in advance.

I bought a AR set from them last year and put a Ballistic Advantage .223 wylde barrel and BCG in it. I was surprised at how well the thing shoots. Well built set with no issues at all. They are lightweight as well. I have only been shooting it with iron sights. I want to put a scope on it to see how far out I can really get with it. It is so light weight with a Dead Air Sandman S on the end it is very front end heavy. I am hoping a scope will balance it out a bit.

For lower priced receivers I believe Aero is the absolute best there is. I use them all the time for builds and I've never had anything out of spec. The fitment of the upper to lower is also great, I haven't had to use a wedge yet to remove play in any of the ones I've assembled.

That said, I don't like their E1 receivers. Not because quality is lacking or anything, I just don't like the ergonomics and you're stuck with their stuff with them. The tubes are way too fat for my liking, I prefer a slimmer round or hexagonal tube for general carbine stuff and something flat bottom like the Seekins SP3R for precision stuff.

I'd absolutely recommend buying their receivers for your build, but I'd get a standard upper and go elsewhere for the forend.

All, thanks so much for the input.

I have read the handguard compatibility issue on other sites but have never really seen details on the issue. I just called Aero and here is the answer:

The threaded upper receivers are milspec, use a "standard" barrel nut and should be compatible with almost all handguards.
    The enhanced uppers use a different barrel nut and are limited in hand guard selection. Seekins and and few other company do the same thing.

I've had great luck with their products. I built a 6.5 Creedmoor on the M5 upper lower set and was hugely impressed with the quality. So I bought an Aero lower to go with my Odin Works 6.5 Grendel upper, and it's been great.

Between the Aero's that I own my self, or that I have put together for friends, probably 25ish total. I have had ZERO issues. They are my go to forged receiver set.

I'm a big fan. I have bought a couple of complete ar15 complete uppers and some 308 stripped receiver sets. Pleased with them all. Schuyler Arms has great deals on their stuff, when they have it in stock. I got a stripped 308 upper and lower set in FDE for $205 shipped back in January.

I've built multiple Aero's X15 and M4E1's with various calibers, barrel lengths, configurations, etc. One M5 (AR10). They're great rifles - Aero thinks of ways to make the assembly easier. I do recommend finding a dealer with blemished parts. Sometimes they're not even noticeable - the logo is milled .1mm off - something silly like that. Some light scratching (honestly - If you use your gun often, you'll blemish it yourself).

Customers would ask for a "good one" - they're all good. We inspected and couldn't find the blemish.

I also like the DPMS stripped lowers - you can find these cheaply - especially BLEM ones.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Bigtrucknut
    For lower priced receivers I believe Aero is the absolute best there is. I use them all the time for builds and I've never had anything out of spec. The fitment of the upper to lower is also great, I haven't had to use a wedge yet to remove play in any of the ones I've assembled.

That said, I don't like their E1 receivers. Not because quality is lacking or anything, I just don't like the ergonomics and you're stuck with their stuff with them. The tubes are way too fat for my liking, I prefer a slimmer round or hexagonal tube for general carbine stuff and something flat bottom like the Seekins SP3R for precision stuff.

I'd absolutely recommend buying their receivers for your build, but I'd get a standard upper and go elsewhere for the forend.
    Their handgaurd is what made me move on. For a super low priced option, I have an AR stoner billet upper with a WOA barrel in that shoots pretty good. I just put a 6mm arc in another one, Midway had some blems with a 15" handgaurd for 99.

Their handgaurd is what made me move on. For a super low priced option, I have an AR stoner billet upper with a WOA barrel in that shoots pretty good. I just put a 6mm arc in another one, Midway had some blems with a 15" handgaurd for 99.
    We bought some quad rail HG from Aero. They sold fast and we restocked. Haven't sold one since - like 2 years. I don't even think I can sell them below $99 without taking a hit. So - good deal for the ones from midway.

We bought some quad rail HG from Aero. They sold fast and we restocked. Haven't sold one since - like 2 years. I don't even think I can sell them below $99 without taking a hit. So - good deal for the ones from midway.
    AR stoner part not Aero. I assume they are made by BCA looking at them or they both get their stuff from same place.

Reactions: WorthFirearms
    When buddies ask for good quality and inexpensive its always Aero. For my builds now I dont really focus on price as much as options and functionality. I love the ADM and Radian uppers and lowers, I still love the Vltor MUR upper, and I think my next toy will be PWS, San Tan, or Mega Arms. I love the ambi lowers

When buddies ask for good quality and inexpensive its always Aero. For my builds now I dont really focus on price as much as options and functionality. I love the ADM and Radian uppers and lowers, I still love the Vltor MUR upper, and I think my next toy will be PWS, San Tan, or Mega Arms. I love the ambi lowers
    We just started selling Radian ambi charging handles. Aero's ambi charging handle supply was bought up with the pending/new regulations in WA. I've only ever built Aero but will be dabbling with DPMS and SOLGW soon.

As far as uppers I don't have a ton of experience in different brands yet. It's fun to test new products though.

I really like their M4E1 lowers. I do have a few of their M4E1 slick side uppers but they are now back in their boxes in a cabinet. I just prefer other brands uppers for different features available is all. I never even considered the Aero uppers with the handguard mounts as I prefer either a Geissele mk14 or a Seekins SP3R handguard (depending on rifle configuration).

Areo has a ton of issues despite what people in here are saying. They are one of the largest manufactures of AR parts in the world but they have serious aq/qc issues. Odds are you will get something that runs/works but it's not surprising I
    If you don't. They pump out as much shit as fast as possible. They use customers as beta testers as well.

I just put together a full aero lower with aero lpk and larue trigger this afternoon. Function check is good, and their lower parts are much better than the critical upper parts.

If you want something that will just work without breaking the bank, buy a bcm. IF you can't afford that, PSA is a safer bet.

For a $40 lower aero is fine. Spending anymore is an overpay.

^Every single thing stated here is absolute shit post bullshit! PSA? Are you out of your fucking mind? That's the lowest quality shit you could build on!

Of the last hundreds of AERO P builds I've done, 0 have had QC issues. I'm even talking AR10 builds of various cartridges. I've not once in 100K worth of Aero P parts in 10yrs had a QC issue. That's pretty good damned track record.

What's hilarious is other actual commercial builders who post here have had the same issues. If you haven't had an issue with aero with that volume( any manufacture will have issues in that large of a sample size) you either need to go buy PowerBall tickets or you are full of shit.

100k in aero parts? You must build poor people guns.

• Haha
    Reactions: FredHammer
    What's hilarious is other actual commercial builders who post here have had the same issues. If you haven't had an issue with aero with that volume( any manufacture will have issues in that large of a sample size) you either need to go buy PowerBall tickets or you are full of shit.

100k in aero parts? You must build poor people guns.
    I build guns people can trust their lives to, shit poster!

Then it wouldn't be aero. As someone who spent a decade building ARs that contractors and mil personnel deployed down range, aero would be one of the last manufactures parts to use.
    I was mil and a contractor that deployed down range...blah diddy blah, blah blah. Stop talking until you know what you are talking about.

Lol. Aero was a huge oem of basic bitch ar shit until they realized they could get in when the getting was good. They are barely a step up from Anderson. I would say alot more but gona leave it at that. It's a small community and we all know and shoot with each other.

Colts not the same they once were but if you can get a factory non expanse or other cheap colt bullshit gun for 800[ 6920, 6720, 6721,ect) that's an easy choice.

Lol. Aero was a huge oem of basic bitch ar shit until they realized they could get in when the getting was good. They are barely a step up from Anderson. I would say alot more but gona leave it at that. It's a small community and we all know and shoot with each other.
    Fucking Yawn...

Colts not the same they once were but if you can get a factory non expanse or other cheap colt bullshit gun for 800[ 6920, 6720, 6721,ect) that's an easy choice.
    They’re LE models but have CR serial numbers

Unless they’ve quit meeting tdp requirements on the 6920’s, it doesn’t matter. I doubt CZ is cheapening the brand.

Last edited:
    AR snobbery is ridiculous and mostly plain dumb... once upon a time, paying more for a "name" was probably worth it, but now, like any other luxury item like a Rolex or a Land Rover, it's more about perceived exclusivity more so than anything else. I've had everything from KAC to PSA and if it's made out of aluminum and the holes are drilled straight and in the right places, a lower is a lower.

Nothing magical happens when they put something fancier like KAC, LMT, JP, or whatever on the side of the magwell that makes them better or superior in any other meaningful way. The main differences these days are possibly what you may lose in resale on the secondary market, or maybe whether or not you impress some incel content creators/operators at the range (or on some forum).

From what I've seen, Aero stuff is just fine. It's an AR, aka "Barbie for men"... so remember to avoid any of the proprietary stuff out there so you can continue playing Barbie with it down the road.

Aero is very good Quality. They are a Manufacturer and make receivers for some big names. Aero Barrels are made by Ballistic Advantage and are also very good.

Ballistic Advantage are very good?

Some of you probably think ground chuck is as good as a ribeye. Its understandable, if you never had the ribeye, you wouldn't know. If BA and Aero are your benchmarks for top tier, same deal.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
    Ballistic Advantage are very good?

Some of you probably think ground chuck is as good as a ribeye. Its understandable, if you never had the ribeye, you wouldn't know. If BA and Aero are your benchmarks for top tier, same deal.
    There are good replies and then there are tedious chest thumping people either bored with no life or posers. Not sure what to make of someone who can't just talk about the topic at hand without all the chest thumping crap.

I have two Aero uppers, a 14.5" with an S-One hanguard and a 18" M4E1 with the Enhanced hanguard. I have had no issues with either. But, while I do like my 14.5" for what it is, the proprietary lockup/wedge system on the S-One handguard is no more than "ok." The Enhanced handguard on my 18" M4E1 however feels far more secure with the mounting screws to the upper extension and has far less flex in it. It also has a much larger diameter and probably weighs twice as much, but when I built it I wanted something more robust, and it checks the box for me on that.

I really like their M4E1 lowers. I do have a few of their M4E1 slick side uppers but they are now back in their boxes in a cabinet. I just prefer other brands uppers for different features available is all. I never even considered the Aero uppers with the handguard mounts as I prefer either a Geissele mk14 or a Seekins SP3R handguard (depending on rifle configuration).
    @DHDeal Seekins and other BAR handguards fit directly on the Aero enhanced uppers. You don’t have to use Aero’s handguards. I have even built a couple with the Sgt of Arms handguards with built in Arca rails.

I used to build rifles as a side job, and used Aero parts for a majority of the ARs. Personally I’ve had really good luck with them.

@DHDeal Seekins and other BAR handguards fit directly on the Aero enhanced uppers. You don’t have to use Aero’s handguards. I have even built a couple with the Sgt of Arms handguards with built in Arca rails.

I used to build rifles as a side job, and used Aero parts for a majority of the ARs. Personally I’ve had really good luck with them.
    The Seekins SP10 handguards won't fit on an Aero M5E1 Enhanced. Different mounting screw locations.

Seekins:
    062917_-_11.png

Aero:
    apra308232c-15-inch-m5-enhanced-m-lok-handguard-black-1_2_1.jpg

The Seekins SP10 handguards won't fit on an Aero M5E1 Enhanced. Different mounting screw locations.

Seekins:
    062917_-_11.png

Aero:
    apra308232c-15-inch-m5-enhanced-m-lok-handguard-black-1_2_1.jpg
    You’re right. The OP asked about the M4E1, so I was referring to small frame rifles. I should have clarified that.

Reactions: msgriff
    All, I need another AR like I need another hole in my head or ex-wife but I am interested in buying a mid-cost receiver set and stashing for later. I like what I am seeing with the Aero Precision M4E1 set and it looks like it would be a good foundation for a build. What are the experiences and opinions of people that have used AP in builds or that have rifles based on AP receivers?

Thanks in advance.
    I have two ar15 and ar10 both from Aero Precision. Both are great. Keep an eye out they will run specials I got a buy one get one half off upper and lower set. I figured I would save them for a build later, but finished them both this weekend.🤣🤣🤣 Now I have to buy more for the storeroom

I have two Aero uppers, a 14.5" with an S-One hanguard and a 18" M4E1 with the Enhanced hanguard. I have had no issues with either. But, while I do like my 14.5" for what it is, the proprietary lockup/wedge system on the S-One handguard is no more than "ok." The Enhanced handguard on my 18" M4E1 however feels far more secure with the mounting screws to the upper extension and has far less flex in it. It also has a much larger diameter and probably weighs twice as much, but when I built it I wanted something more robust, and it checks the box for me on that.
    I wish I could get the S-one handguard with the enhanced handguard attachment. A thin handguard, in my experience, makes a rifle feel more maneuverable than its weight would suggest.