• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aero Precision Solus Bravo vs Tikka

I’ve bedded a few actions and had to bring the dremel out as well so I’m not too concerned about that. Thank you. What about trigger pins? I have several R700 pins. Would those work?

Reactions: FuhQ
I recently bought a Zermatt Origin for a 22 Grinch build. If the Solus had been available with the Grendel/7.62x39 bolt head, I might've gone that route, if for no other reason than to get more experience with the Solus & different boltheads. The price advantage isn't as much of a factor because of the Origin's reasonable price to begin with, and I'm very pleased with the Origin in this chambering; this was only the 2nd build I've done with the Origin, but have built five of my own rifles done on Bighorn TL2-SA, TL2-LA, and TL3-SA actions, as well as several other Bighorn rifles for customers. The Solus isn't quite as slick as the Bighorn & Origin actions, but then I probably don't have 100rds through the Solus 6XC yet.

I’ve bedded a few actions and had to bring the dremel out as well so I’m not too concerned about that. Thank you. What about trigger pins? I have several R700 pins. Would those work?
The pins are unique for their hanger setup. Regular 700 pins are way too long. You’ll see what I’m talking about once you get your action in. 👍🏼 And, install requires a simple Torx wrench. No hammer, no punches. It will change your life. 😂

Reactions: Oldloser
The pins are unique for their hanger setup. Regular 700 pins are way too long. You’ll see what I’m talking about once you get your action in. 👍🏼 And, install requires a simple Torx wrench. No hammer, no punches. It will change your life. 😂
I put it together yesterday. Very simple to do.

I shot a Solus rifle 6.5 CM this week. Factory ammo and Mark V scope. It was a .7 moa gun at zero board and i hit the 1 moa plate at 400 yards 8 out of ten. . I am shooting my custom competition rifle at .2 moa right now and have not missed the 400 yard moa target in several weeks with it. So the Solus factory rifle is not perfect out of the box.. but with a bedding and a great barrel, it might be. When they have barreled 223 available I will get one.

I got mine out to the range Friday. I’ll post a longer review in one of the other Solus threads, hopefully one thread can become the Solus thread…

As to Solus vs Tikka… I’ve owned a few T3x. The Solus is very much like a Tikka in terms of feel. The bolt isn’t quite a smooth on the Solus if you side load it. If you want a Tikka, but are concerned about it not being in the r700 ecosystem and might want to swap parts around, get the Solus. It’s amazing for the custom curious or those that might want to dabble in PRS (could use a heavier barrel for that though). With the 17” comp chassis, the 22” 6.5C weighs just over 11 lbs with no optic. Accuracy was acceptable with all 5-shot groups being 1/2 to 1 MOA. My 10 shot 400 yard group was 1.5 moa. I’m optimistic is can do better with better ammo (was using 147 ELDM with SD 29 and ES 86).

It’s no where near as smooth or easy to operate as my Impacts, but it can’t be (due to 60deg bolt), nor should it be for half the price. But it is a far better entry to the custom world that anything else near its price point. We’re finally getting a mass produced and widely available gun we can customize easily.

IMG_3708.jpeg Ballistic-X-Export-2023-10-27 15:08:36.795964.jpg

There was talk earlier in the thread about quality of Ballistic Advantage barrels.

I personally have had issues with three different brand new AR15 BA Hansen barrels. One chambered a "no-go" gauge with a brand new Aero Precision BCG.

The next had the dimples for the gas block screws drilled significantly canted...like to the point that I was concerned the gas port was getting covered up.

The third came with a gas port drilled so small that the gun was short stroking.

Three strikes, I'm good on them and anything that uses their barrels at this point. They always sent a new barrel as an exchange but then it was just a new issue. Hope y'all have better luck.

I had one. It shot 4 moa. That was enough for me. Meanwhile the ARP barrel I bought for $190 shoots sub moa.

I had similar luck with Faxon. All my BAs have done well for me though, especially stainless. My 18in Grendel from BA is not far behind my Lilja at 1/3 the cost when I bought it at least.

I do wonder when they'll have prefits of their own available. They need to be $300 or less IMO. $400 I'd just spend a bit more and get a Proof

Yeah, AR’s and bolt action systems and requirements for precision are so different, I’m not even going to attempt to draw correlations between the two.

The factory BA barrels on the Solus seem to shoot well. Better ammo dropped my 400 yard groups into sub moa, even with some gnarly supressor mirage and rushing to get out of the way of a match setup crew.

Velocities are stabilizing, and the bolt is really smoothing out. I’d put it on par with my Tikkas now.

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-11-10 18:22:44.610423.jpg

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-11-10 18:42:54.642171.jpg

If I had a Bartlein, K&P, or Proof that barely shot submoa I would not be happy.