• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aero SOLUS Range Report

FredHammer

FAFOIST
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 23, 2006
    CONUS
    Got the SOLUS to the range today. It was a range trip full of firsts!

First time building a rig with these components:

SOLUS action
    CBI 26" .243 AI barrel
    Magpul 700 Pro stock
    TriggerTech 700 Special
    .243 Lapua brass
    88gr Hammer Hunters

SOLUS:

It operates smooth, 100% feeding from the AICS mag, ejectors send brass zinging at 3:30 about 5 feet! :D I started catching them so I wouldn't ding my newly fireformed AI brass! The little darling just impresses with feeding and ejecting so I'm hard pressed to find anything I don't like about it! Finish is nice, bolt throw short and it's got that nice chambering sound a bolt gun should have. Fits the Magpul Pro stock nicely. So, I guess I'll get onto the other things!

CBI Barrel:

Criterion barrel, Savage small shank prefit. It shot great right out the gate. First rounds out the tube. I cleaned it and used graphite to coat the bore prior to firing. I forgot to bring my cleaning gear, so I just shot it, 1 round per minute, 3 round groups with 5-7 min between groups. 24rnds total. Barrel stayed cool in the 35F. temp. I still need to borescope and see how everything looks in there! lol.

TriggerTech 700 Special:

WOW. I love the positive clicks you feel and hear when adjusting the trigger. I have it set at "telepathic". Crisp breaks, no creep or over travel.
    So easy to install on the SOLUS trigger hanger. Plug & play.

Magpul 700 Pro Stock:

I didn't think I was going to like it as much as I do. It is a solid feeling piece of kit! It has full adjustability of everything one would want. No flimsy parts here that's for sure. The grip is adjustable to your trigger finger length with solid hash reference marks. No problems getting that 90 degree to the trigger finger placement. The only gripe I have is the front end is heavier than I think it needs to be, but if you are bipod, shooting from a rest, no worries. This gun set up for varmints and yotes, shooting off a stable position. The folding stock is really handy and locks up tight in both positions.

Bullets:

I ran the 88gr Hammers through my cupboard of powders on hand. I had several 3401fps duplicates with a few powders tested. I began to question if my chrono was working right, but it was. I'll save my hand load results for the reloading section. Today was one of the most effortless, fun & exciting range trips I've ever had. Things just worked and no surprises! Here are some pics from today:

thumbnail_image1.jpg

thumbnail_image3 (1).jpg

thumbnail_image2 (1).jpg

Last edited:
    Good looking rifle ! Any reason you didn't use the supplied barrel nut ?
    Length of the nut. The NSS nut shown was just long enough to cover the visible threads on the CBI barrel. The Aero nut is longer and was needed to cover the threads of a Savage factory take off which has a longer threaded portion.

4 months in. I've shot the action in an MDT TIMBER, M700 Pro, and now Aero 17" Chassis. Currently sporting a 22" Bartlein CF Origin prefit from Southern Precision Rifles. 243AI and 308. ARC mags, and Magpul AICS been great, even with 243AI shoulders. I really can't find a con to the action. I do wish the stock folded. Current hunt rig config:
    IMG_9685.jpeg

Dropped an “Ankole-Watusi” longhorn in 308 mode. MDT TIMBR Chassis:
    IMG_9565.jpeg

What do you think of the Aero Precision chassis?
    Sleek. Is the first and best word that comes to mind. I like the push button snap adjustments for cheek and LOP adjustment. The butt pad assembly has some wobble that I plan to fix with some JB weld. I found a tension screw for that butt pad wobble under the bag rider. The grip, I would prefer a little more meat up top. Would like a folding stock version. First world problems! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
    The Aero Solus dropped right into the M700 Pro short action chassis without any mods or inletting around the trigger area or anywhere else? Just wondering because I have a M700 chassis on the way and I’d like to use the Aero Solus action for possibly my next build. Your setup looks great.

Last edited:
    Reactions: FredHammer
    The Aero Solus dropped right into the M700 Pro short action chassi without any mods or inletting around the trigger area or anywhere else? Just wondering because I have a M700 chassi on the way and I’d like to use the Aero Solus action for possibly my next build. Your setup looks great.
    Yassir, drops straight in, tighten two action screws and off poppin. Correction. It does not.

Last edited:
    Thanks for the info. I received the M700 Pro chassis and was wondering if I would have any clearance issues with dropping in a Solus with the 20” .308 M24 profile?

Thanks for the info. I received the M700 Pro chassis and was wondering if I would have any clearance issues with dropping in a Solus with the 20” .308 M24 profile?
    It would be perfect. You getting the SOLUS M24?
    @VAL62 Update:

Took a hard look at my SOLUS sitting in the M700 Pro. Though it was shooting lights out, the SOLUS trigger hanger does not properly fit the M700 Pro. Reference pic:
    IMG_0011.jpeg

Yellow area would need to be cut out to fit front of action. Rear red arrow area would be too drastic a cut to make.

Just wanted to correct my mistake and keep putting out valid info.

I would drop the SOLUS into a SOLUS chassis.

Last edited:
    Thinking on a .308 thumper build. I would like to cut it down to 18” or 16”.
    I think that would fit the daggum ticket! I got two of them thumpers. You know, two is one, one is none...:)

Got mine couple days ago, picked up an AW mag and the 419 break. Can’t wait to take her out in a couple weeks! Got the 6.5 Creed version. A Mark 5 Leupold will sit on top. Now waiting for Aero to drop the folding mechanism and she will be done.

Attachments

• IMG_1203.jpeg
      IMG_1203.jpeg
      574.5 KB · Views: 120
    • 9512C873-5A79-4CC2-8885-DE3E64BA7D34.jpeg
      9512C873-5A79-4CC2-8885-DE3E64BA7D34.jpeg
      329.4 KB · Views: 120
    Well that’s disappointing. All your above posts did not reflect your latest info. I was worried about trigger hanger not fitting but now even the action lug needs to be modified!? I was under the impression that the Aero Solus was a Remington patterned action or is it Magpul‘s M700 Pro chassi? 😵‍💫

Well that’s disappointing. All your above posts did not reflect your latest info.
    No shit. That is why I made the correction!
    I was worried about trigger hanger not fitting but now even the action lug needs to be modified!? I was under the impression that the Aero Solus was a Remington patterned action or is it Magpul‘s M700 Pro chassi? 😵‍💫
    A non-trigger hanger 700 footprint, like my ARC Nuke, fits the 700 Pro with no interference. (Yes, after the SOLUS discovery in the 700 Pro, I went digging at all my actions and chassis fitments. All good in the armory now. If you still want any advice from me, I would recommend the SOLUS chassis for the SOLUS.

BTW, ARC CDG has an even longer trigger hanger...

Last edited:
    Really like those ARC rings, ordering a second set today for my 6.5 CM.
    Among the other positive attributes, the fact they don't move the scope off level when torquing down is pure delight. Shaves a lot of time off leveling and completed setup!

Reactions: GAHunterJim
    I just got my Solus barreled action in. I put it in an HS precision stock I had. I had to hog out the trigger area in the bottom metal because the hangar seems to move the trigger down further than it would otherwise be. Not sure how else to describe it.