• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aerosol Paints for Stock Cam

Remoah

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2010
Victoria, Australia
Hey guys.
Well i went to the local hardware store and alas they had no Krylon.
My question is that its pretty much unavailable in Aust apparantly. Is there another brand people have used with success?

Re: Aerosol Paints for Stock Cam

I'm sure someone will chime in shortly but I've read here and on other forums of a brand called Aervoe that is supposed to work very well that is available in Europe. Might be available there.

Charlie

John.
Its a bastard to get anything good down here isnt it. I heard of somewhere in Sydney selling it but for the life of me i cant find it and it probably doesnt exist anymore.
if you hear anything from those guys before me shoot us a PM, i might be in for a group buy or something.

Charlie.
Cheers mate, due to restrictions on rifle types as well as age old trade links and a heap of other stuff, alot of stuff available in the UK is available here in Oz, aside from shotguns stuff allowed in the UK is allowed in oz to a much greater limit (aside from Airsoft bans and Paintball restrictions).
So if this European bloke is well linked he migt have an aussie importer.
Cheers for the link mate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: john_1182</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im wondering the same, im in vic aust too and havent seen anything ;(

**EDIT**

Google is my friend

http://carreroart.com.au/shop/search.php?search_query=krylon&page=3
</div></div>

Wow! $10 for 1 can of krylon?!

This paint company is based in Australia, so you might be able to find some around your way. I've bought some here in the U.S. for about $4 a can. A lot of the colors are pretty bright, but there is some earthtones in there too.
http://www.ironlak.com/

I've tried the H-S brand of camo spray paint intended for waterfowl blinds/boats, and it is not nearly as durable as the Krylon. Flatter, but not as tough. I don't recommend it.

Tan Man. $10 AUD which is about $8-9 USD depending on what time of month it is. Which is still expensive i guess but anything shooting related over here gets the price jacked up rediculously.

You guys complain about factory ammo prices and calibre availability, here its just shocking!

Sierra. Im not *too* worried about durability but i certainly would like it. Krylon seems the way to go and id pay for the cans if they got imported.

Last time I painted my rifle they were out of the Krylon here. Being a bit impatient I used the Rustoleum flat colors. It doesn't go on as nice or dry as quick, but has held up OK.

Do you get Rustoleum Down Under?

John

p.s If one of you will pay my round trip, I'll smuggle in a case of Krylon.
grin.gif
I've heard the beer down there is particularly good.
wink.gif

haha jrob no i've never heard of rusto but i'll ask around.

and you're more than welcome. but i cant afford the round trip but if you do come i'll shout you a slab of carlton's finest :p

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remoah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you do come i'll shout you a slab of carlton's finest :p </div></div>

It's a date!

My wife and I were supposed to visit AUS and NZ for my sabbatical/vacation in 1992. Until we found out we were pregnant with twins. Still recovering from that.
grin.gif

I'll get their at some point.

John

done and done.
just whatever you do dont touch fosters, XXXX gold or Thooeys New. Those arent 'australian' beers. Most of us try to forget their existance, except for queenslanders...

If you do decide to come down shoot us a PM, the twins would be pushing 18 so it's a great excuse to bring them down here since they'd be fully legal adults down under.

Dont fuckin listen to the Mexicans , xxxx is good stuff. Joking You guys shuold be able to buy guncoat directly from Brownells and bake it on in your oven it is easy to apply.Ceracote is the best , Duracoat does not require baking and is good stuff also
Cheers Geordie

I actually work for a paint company and I'm sure I've seen the Krylon brand in store somewhere here. My suggestion would be email Krylon in the US and find out if there's a local distributor then contact the distributor and find out who the local retailers are. I wouldn't be surprised if Bunnings are supposed to carry it and just don't (it's hard to get shelf space in Bunnings as unfortunately they pretty much have a monopoly so they can do and demand what they want) but that means they could order it in for you.

+1 on Aussies getting ripped on prices and good shit!

+1 on Carlton Draught

tn_1521_Carlton_Draught_worth_it.jpg

Im looking for someone local that does cerakote.

Outback. I looked into Cerakote theres a guy here who does it apparantly, but i would rather spend the money getting a new stock for the rifle. Plus krylon would mean i could re-paint the stock whenever i felt like it because to be honest it's purely cosmetic...
And dont even joke, XXXX is a piss-stain on the ass end of this country.

Apsilon. I googled krylon a while ago and apprarantly there was a place in syd that did it but not thier firearms/camouflage range and for the life of me i cant find the link. But i will fire them off an email and see what i get. Cheers.

VMan, its rediculous isnt it. I know import might at say 10% to price or maybe a bit more but things practically double here sometimes, unless you want a mainstream hunting rig anything outside the ordinary is as rare as hens teeth and has a price to match.
Carlton is the beer of legends. Their marketing campaigns are a thing of beauty.

And there is a think in the latest Sporting Shooter i believe with an advert for Cerakote. wouldnt know whos doing it but if i find the advert i'll let you know.
chances are it'll be pricey though.

Cheers Remoah, il go and check it out
smile.gif

Speaking of rediculous... im after a Sako Quad... something about them, i just want one. $3.5 for a rimfire... i mean come on wtf is that shit.

TRG42's sell for like $7k... AI's sometimes over 10k... this country blows sometimes

the original Quad single barrel or the switch barrel. i'd like one too but they're rediculously expensive. Anything over here gets 20% jacked onto the price on top of the taxes and shipping costs which we all know for a big mob like Nioa is piss all nothing when it comes to shipping and taxing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remoah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anything over here gets 20% jacked onto the price on top of the taxes and shipping costs </div></div>

I'd say 20% is just the starting point. I just bought an item this week from OS that was 50% more here even taking into account shipping.

i could understand taxes though, but its not 50% of the price extra. but then again its australia. look at the school building project and you'll see that everyone here is willing to gouge out as much money as they can...

Ok fellas hows this... I know how much Beretta pays for Sakos and Tikkas.

Havnt checked the price list in ages but from memory this is what they are paying.

Sako TRG42 in .300 Winmag $1,600EU @ Todays rate = $2,269 AU = Shops here sell them for $7,000. So somewhere between the doors from that sako factory, to my front door is an extra $4,731 worth of bullshit added on top.

Im not 100% on this but i think Tikka T3 Lites were about $350EU @ $500 AU. So the shops here are slapping an extra $500-600 on top of that.

We may as well bend over when we hand in our permission to purchase certificates whilst we swipe away on our credit cards!

thats a joke, it really is. but its such a niche rifle that even if it was $5000 they'd still only get as many sales as they do. So they jack it up to $7000 and walk away laughing.

Was pleased to see the Stevens 200 retailing for $400 or so with a 3-9 POS scope on it. Probably because savage suggests the MSRP so nobody can get away with flogging them at double cost price.

The T3 lites are worth the 1k you pay for them though. I can see doubling the price, given that they'd loose 15-20% in taxes getting here, plus another $100 or so in shipping, then the importers markup price, and then the dealers final price.

Just wondering if anyone found out anything about Krylon being available here? For that matter what about Duracoat or similar? Thinking of doing some painting over Xmas.

Mate try this stuff, http://www.camopaint.com.au/ it works a treat, goes on like krylon, but can be removd without harming the parent weapon using the remover solvent.

I did a test and reveiw here a while back, which is why the guy borrowed my pics for his website, but Im not affilated with them, they just have a good product, and are Australian made and operated.

cheers

JJ