• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Affordable 54" hardcase?

dodgefreak8

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2009
colorado
I have been looking for a hard case for shipping an upcoming build back to me but the only ones I can find are in the $300 range. Are there any that are available for considerably less $$? I don't plan on needing the case much after the rifle is in my possession

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

I found a lightweight and inexpensive ($25) hard case at a local gun-store to use for shipping build components and completed build. Cabelas has similar ones. Zip tie the latches, get a used rifle shipping box from your local gun-store/club and you're good to go.

You might be forced into spending close $300 for a long case like that . Plano I think makes a hard case for shotguns with long barrels 28" ,30" but they are cheap $30.00 cases.

If you pack it right it should be okay.

Or ask the smith to separate the barreled action and stock for shipping, then use a shorter case.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Check out sportsmans warehouse. They have Boyt cases for $299.steel latches and plane capable

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

The large boyt is 51" inside. The starlight is 54 inside so if the rifle is 54 there will be no padding on the ends. In some looking for long cases I came across hard keyboard cases. For some reason this site (I've ordered small things like sd cards from them before, they're good to go) has this SKB case for cheaper than anybody else. Grab some foam, worst case a mattress topper to cut up and you could have a nice discreet case
SKB R6020W 88 Note Keyboard Case 1SKB-R6020W B&H Photo Video
"When taking into account the foam padding, the approximate space remaining for your keyboard is 57.75 x 19.5 x 5.5"
It doesn't seem to lock though if that's important

Or there's this site Level 1 LiteFlite Keyboard Cases by Brand they offer a $99 basic case any size you need, not sure on shipping. The nicer $199 case has free shipping. Again not cheap but could be a nice discreet case.
If you're handy just build a crate though. You'll still probably have some cash tied up in it

There are lots of ways to ship stuff that works for single events. These can be cheap or expensive. Assuming you can separate the barrel from the stock, the cheapest method would be to take 2 of he cases new guns are sold in pack the barrel in one and the stock in the other, use plenty of zip ties and packing tape on the cases then over wrap them in cardboard. This can be used repeatedly but it is a PITA.

Traveling cases are a different subject. The equipment we build is shipped in cases that have a long life. They are Rotomolded. They are expensive even in large quantities. They will accept abuse like no case I have seen.

The next cases are aluminum (they dent and crack), wood (subject to breaking), and injection molded cases.

I wouldn't travel with anything less than a Pelican injection molded case. Understand, overload that case and drop it from 8-10 feet on a corner and it will crack too. I also would only travel with custom cut foam inside the case. Handles and latches are also subject to breakage given high enough usage.

I saw a Pelican 1750 branded as Red Head at the Bass Pro Shop for $259.00. The tag even says Pelican 1750 and it has all the foam inserts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk