• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Affordable and Quality 22 Revolver?

breachersup

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2011
New England
Hey All,

I've been in the market for a decent 22 revolver for quite some time now.

For a while now, I've been using this cheapo H&R revolver with a double action/single action trigger. that functions alright (as in I have to keep retightening the screw replacing a pin that fell out).

My primary use for this revolver is to shoot 22 CB subsonic shorts. This thing is about as loud as a cap gun with these rounds.

<span style="font-weight: bold">So is there a quality .22 revolver out there that a sane person would find affordable?</span> The one that really caught my eye in shopping was some sweet little aluminum framed Smith and Wesson—but the price tag of nearly 800 bucks makes me wanna laugh or vomit. At that point, I’d sooner go buy another bull barrel Ruger Mk3, thread the barrel, and put a silencer on it for shooting 22 quietly.

I’d prefer to go with a double action/ single action revolver here—not because I don’t like single action, but because the traditional one round at a time way to reload load takes me forever when the chipmunks are chirping and running for cover.

Thanks in advance all. I appreciate the knowledge and the assistance.

Re: Affordable and Quality 22 Revolver?

What's expensive to you isn't to someone else. Look around a bit on the used market and you should be able to find a S&W 617 fairly reasonably priced.

Taurus is coming out with a convertible double action revolver. There will be a button on the side and the whole cylinder and arm comes off. Either stainless or blued. 4" or 6" barrel. 22LR 22wmr convertible. It's on my list. Say what you want about Taurus, but I have never had a problem out of one, and if you do, they are guaranteed for life.

You could look for a used 617 or 17-3...
SW22s.jpg

...or a little further up the scale for a Colt Trooper or Diamondback....
Colt22s.jpg

Why not consider a quality pre-owned .22 revolver like the S&W Kit guns? You should still be able to find one in good shape for a few hundred bucks!

George P.

I'd opt for the older S&W 17's. If your'e hunting with it. You can get4,6,8 inch barrel lengths and actions can be smoothed up very nicely. I picked up another one at a gun show a few months ago for $350. Yes it was a little rough showing more neglect than use, but it shoots lights out.

I prefer the Colt Diamondback, but they have skyrocketed in price recently with even a rough example fetching as much as $600 and NIB as high as $1,400 locally.

You can still find deals on S&W .22 revolvers, I have a model 18 and 617 and had a 34 that were all under $400, but those deals are harder and harder to find. Ruger Single Sixes seem to be more readily available in the $250-300 range used. I had a Rossi .22 that was decent for a cheap $150 gun. As mentioned above the Ruger SP101 is coming back out in .22 in the next month or so, should be around $500 new. Some people seem to like the Charter Arms Pathfinder. Dan Wesson made a .22 that was supposed to be pretty good.

The double action trigger sucks but for the price my Taurus 94 has been a great little revolver. I took <span style="font-style: italic"> this </span> vid last week. 50 yards got kind of boring after a while so I moved to 100 and took a vid for my buddy
grin.gif