• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Affordable parts/accessories your 100% happy with?

Crapshot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2010
Texas
For example I'm just as happy or satisfied with my Caldwell brand bipod on my Ar15 as I am with a Harris or even my atlas? Although admittedly the atlas looks cooler ;). And to my surprise my cheapo UTG "pro" rifle length handguard is as nice as most hand guards twice the price in my opinion. Just curious if anyone else has anything they spent a little less on but are equally happy doing so?

For several years I was very happy with my $5.70 butt-stock for my AR15. It was a 1964/65 manuf. M16 stock I got a bunch for cheap. Having been issued an M4 for the last 3 years, though I finally broke down and bought a collapsible stock yesterday.

Cheap Center Point (Wal-Mart) scope I have on my Russian semi auto 22. Total cost of rifle and scope-$200.

Weaver tactical scope base, $30 well spent and made in the USA. I have Badgers, Mk4's, TPS, IOR, and a couple others, Weaver is very nice for a 1/3 of the price.

+1 on the Bushnell Tr25 red dot, put one on my daughters Magnum Research .22 and it's NICE for $100!

x2 on the Caldwell bi-pod.
I'm also completely happy with my Hawke 6.5x20 Sidewinder Tactical scope. At $500 it isn't what I'd call cheap...but it's a heck of a lot less expensive then the top end glass.
At the 200m I use it at (it's on a Savage .22WMR) it performs as well (IMO) as scopes that are 2-3x the price.

1. TRS 25 from Bushnell. I have it on my shorty FAL and it works awesome. Between 100-200y it works great. Made the gun fun to shoot again.

2. Caldwell Bipods. I even got the locking mechanism. For other than HD use, works as well or better than my Harris. In the same light, I got a Blackhawk brand bipod for the kids .22 and the locking mechanism and quality is better than the Caldwell for the same price.

3. Millett Optics. I have both a DMS-1 (1-4) and a TRS-1 and I cannot say enough about how tough and how good they work. The TRS has allowed to me reach out reliably to 750+ yards. The DMS-1 is the best short range quick scope I have found for the money. Warranty and CS are also good.

4. Ka-Bar. Small version. I have used mine for 10 years without fail. Sharpen every once in a while and go. Black paint is still on the blade and the handle has held up nicely.

5. Anything from SWFA. 30-40% less cost and ultra high quality. I have several mounts and sets of rings that work flawlessly.

I build just about all my slings from parts and webbing I get from REI. I get everything in bulk and have enough for spares / extra projects for a fraction of what a company built sling costs. Holsters are another project I enjoy doing myself. Kydex is cheap coming from knifekits.com and you can get it in about any variety and thickness you need. Working on an angled cheek piece for my KRG whiskey 3 chassis when I get back off orders.

Well, some have been mentioned already:
+ Harris PodLoc lever-thing ($12)
+ KRG Bolt Lift ($30)
+ Bushnell TRS-25 red-dot ($75)
+ PTG Bottom Metal (see the other thread - $75!)
+ My rifle - Rem700 Varmint .308 ($500)

Plus a soon-to-be-bought Millett or SWFA mil/mil scope; great values from what I've read.

I build just about all my slings from parts and webbing I get from REI. I get everything in bulk and have enough for spares / extra projects for a fraction of what a company built sling costs. Holsters are another project I enjoy doing myself. Kydex is cheap coming from knifekits.com and you can get it in about any variety and thickness you need. Working on an angled cheek piece for my KRG whiskey 3 chassis when I get back off orders.

I am a huge fan of DIY projects. Have you or could you do a write up on the holsters made from kydex? I've been eyeing that stuff for a number of different uses (including a holster for my tlr-2 laden xd) but have yet to further those pursuits due to the limited lack of info I've been able to find.

Well, some have been mentioned already:
+ Harris PodLoc lever-thing ($12)
+ KRG Bolt Lift ($30)
+ Bushnell TRS-25 red-dot ($75)
+ PTG Bottom Metal (see the other thread - $75!)
+ My rifle - Rem700 Varmint .308 ($500)

Plus a soon-to-be-bought Millett or SWFA mil/mil scope; great values from what I've read.

That ptg dbm has been on my mind since I saw that $75 price from the "Hide and seek" thread. How much inletting was necessary? Is it a for-sure-gunsmith kinda thing or can most folks with a dremel handle it.? (I'm kinda cheap but in my defense I've HD lousy luck with smiths)

I like the idea of this thread, good equipment that is a cheaper alternative by users that have used them and endorse them. Lets keep it going, sort of a shopping list to check before you spend big buck, for us budget types (meaning i'm poor).

another addition is sierra seconds bullets. I don't know how out of spec or what constitutes a second but ive used em for a while to great effect at a substantial cheaper price.

That ptg dbm has been on my mind since I saw that $75 price from the "Hide and seek" thread. How much inletting was necessary? Is it a for-sure-gunsmith kinda thing or can most folks with a dremel handle it.? (I'm kinda cheap but in my defense I've HD lousy luck with smiths)

It actually just arrived today, and my SPS stock would need a good bit of inletting. It's definitely DIY-able. But, my plan is to keep it on the shelf until I can grab a stock that has a factory PTG/M5 inlet. Although, I may get antsy and try fitting it to the factory Hogue.
That said, the deal was too good to pass on. Retail for the metal is at $130, which means the savings almost cover the cost of a 5-round mag. Buy two from Midway like I did, and its almost like you get the second for free (or $10).

TRG spacer system

I think duct tape would work, but I had plenty of these handy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 18