• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Afgan 13 Sep 1250m shots from M24s, 7,62mm

Sid13

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2011
320091_151380038284947_107257572697194_267710_1116774214_n.jpg

Re: Afgan 13 Sep 1250m shots from M24s, 7,62mm

Seems like target ID would be a little tough at that distance using a 10x fixed? Not that it can't or hasn't happened before, but I would think that the bad guys have learned over the years not to be in the open even at that range.

Is there any AAR associated w/ this picture?

I see nothing to indicate a 1250 meter shot. Shots have been made past that with the 7.62x51, cool pic none the less.

Any chance we could get more info about this? I'm assuming you guys are contractors? What was your load and was it ahem, affective at that range?

The .308 will get out that far, but it is well under supersonic with my loads at that range. I was shooting at an IPSC steel target at 1314 yds and it was like trying to bracket with a mortar. One in front, one behind, one in front.... now with the .338 it's a different story!

Cool pic, I would also like to hear more to the story!

Pure greatness - nice shooting. And to think some people dont think and 7.62 won't hit a target accurately at even 1000. BS.

Hats off to you man. Brings back some memories...

What kind of ammo did you use for that shot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RegularGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Smells like advertising with no actual substance in the post. Nice work </div></div>

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with you on this one. Lame to post a billboard pic like this without telling what was going on IMO. Also no way to know what was being shot at, or if hits were made. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt but...

I was irked by the other thread about this pic in the Photography thread. Someone actually said "thank you for your service."

Photoshop in my eyes! Besides Livestrong braclet would be the last thing I would pack into that place.

Kinda looks like a typical hill side in LA, CA......or is that the Mexican border fence under the muzzle of the rifle on the left. Maybe they are just evening the odds in Juarez, MX and titled it "Afghan" for the sake of being PC.

regardless, it does seem a tad suspect. If it's not, then atta boy.

looks photoshopped (and I use photoshop for a living), mostly around the barrel on the left, but also the other one (just not as much as the left). larger pic would help.

Picture is photo shopped. There is no camera lens in existence that is capable of having both the shooter's bracelet and the distant buildings both be in sharp focus at the same time. This is photography 101.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hogstooth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems like target ID would be a little tough at that distance using a 10x fixed? Not that it can't or hasn't happened before, but I would think that the bad guys have learned over the years not to be in the open even at that range. </div></div>

Depends on what that target is doing.

I had sights on a guy once at ~1250m. A car stopped and he jumped out and grabbed some large rectangular item out of it and dropped it of on the side of the road.

An M24, 1250m, approximately 15 degree downslope, 8-10 seconds of exposure. Needless to say I did not fire. But I did call it up as a likely IED (which it was). The patrol leader I was in comms with asked 'why didn't you shoot his ass'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWHII</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love how some people say the Remington M24 is only an 800 meter system..... </div></div>Those are people who don't shoot at 6000 feet of altitude. But even then you'd be dialing and holding elevation with an M3A.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hogstooth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems like target ID would be a little tough at that distance using a 10x fixed?</div></div>LOL! I love the way that BTDT always has its own flavor, even when it asks questions.
cool.gif

Contractors using 24s? The M24 has been a God send for the Army for a couple decades now but there are much better rifles out there now from many high rep smiths that will outshout any issue rifle! Regardless of more traditional fiberglass stocks or a chassis system, there's a hell of a lot of good custom guns these days!

The silence of the OP on questions posed here just goes to show that we shouldn't lend too much credit to his claims. Lots of stuff in the picture doesn't add up.

Everything in the photo looks super spotless clean. The rifles, the pack, their clothes, hell the Peltor's don't even had a rub mark on them, still shiny. Not the Sheep dipped Afghanistan I know and can still smell in my dreams/nightmares.

I am going to have to go with the rest of you all, plain as day with the LOgo in the lower right corner! When I first looked I ask my self what does any of that got to do with beyond 1000 yds with no info.
Nice Pic.
G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: richieraby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why are they just sticking out in the open?? </div></div>

They are what I like to call reactive target's .

While I do not know the OP... this might be credible. Building center mass of pic is a skyscraper under construction. It could very well be the one that insurgents attacked ISAF HQ and U.S. Embassy from. While I do not know how they were taken out, I do know we sent a transport gun ship which could not get a good shot off. Bringing in DMR's or Snipers to take them out seemed like the correct call. BUT... it would have been military, not contractors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PeterN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Picture is photo shopped. There is no camera lens in existence that is capable of having both the shooter's bracelet and the distant buildings both be in sharp focus at the same time. This is photography 101. </div></div>

Hey, Peter,

They set up the shot with an 8x10 view camera @ f128 and using Panatomic-X film with an exposrue time of 4:38. Had to give the guys some qualudes to keep them still long enough for the shot.

Picture is not photo shopped.

The load was 175 Gr M118

Can't tell much about the circumstances because of obvious opsec reasons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Picture is not photoshoped. If you help me I'll post the original color one. How to do this without using URL link?

The load was 173 Gr M118
Can't tell much about the circumstances because of obvious opsec reasons.</div></div>

173gr M118... Really?

Cartridge, Caliber 7.62mm, NATO, Ball, Special, M118 (United States): 173-grain 7.62×51mm NATO Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail round specifically designed for match purposes.
Cartridge, Caliber 7.62mm, NATO, Ball, Special, M118LR (United States): 175-grain 7.62×51mm NATO Hollow Point Boat Tail round specifically designed for long-range sniping.
Sometimes you get what you get the folks that order it most of the time don't know the difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The load was 173 Gr M118
Can't tell much about the circumstances because of obvious opsec reasons.</div></div>Well... Without more, I just don't buy it.

With 173gr M118 that would certainly be a feat, even at that elevation. And as for the so-called 'obvious opsec reasons', once you post a picture and a description of the event you have told over a thousand words, so what possible opsec could there be left to claim?

404751_130973277019602_100003207907362_139912_1177988072_n.jpg

What other information do you want? Ten digit grid? You are not going to get it...

Also a correction: it was 175gr M118LR not 173gr.
Sorry about that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
310640_102539143196349_100003207907362_14102_640217244_n.jpg
</div></div>

Sid13, I used your photo over in the Bolt Action Rifles forum, M24 build thread. If thats no go, just tell me. Thx.

To hell with all the BS, nice shot and cool pic. Give em hell!
Semper Fi. Oh try and snag some 118LR and I think you be a bit better off, but I would imagine you already have some
wink.gif

You guys were given 118SB? hmmmm...never mind the distance, what is SB doing in Astan? I'm in the other AO and its still all 118LR and were not using it. I'm not there, but if you're Army, and you're not in uniforms...why don't you have at least 118LR not to mention more "current" rifles? In a more adequate cartridge for that kind of distance? I'm all speculation, but there are things that don't add up here. Mainly the guys I know that don't have to wear uniforms aren't shooting SB in M24's.

C_K

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pre64WINmarksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Contractors using 24s? The M24 has been a God send for the Army for a couple decades now but there are much better rifles out there now from many high rep smiths that will outshout any issue rifle! Regardless of more traditional fiberglass stocks or a chassis system, there's a hell of a lot of good custom guns these days! </div></div>

Our DDMs are currently using M24s and MK11 Mod 0s. What you see is what you get!!

Doesn't Staff Sergeant Jim Gilliland hold the world record for longest 7.62x51 kill?

September 27, 2005
1,250 m (1,367 yd)
M24 rifle
7.62x51mm NATO
2nd Battalion, 69th Armored Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division Sniper Shadow Team
Iraq War – Ramadi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teufelhunden</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pre64WINmarksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Contractors using 24s? The M24 has been a God send for the Army for a couple decades now but there are much better rifles out there now from many high rep smiths that will outshout any issue rifle! Regardless of more traditional fiberglass stocks or a chassis system, there's a hell of a lot of good custom guns these days! </div></div>

Our DDMs are currently using M24s and MK11 Mod 0s. What you see is what you get!!
</div></div>

"Our" ???

Exactly who is our?

This ain't OpSec when it is posted on a public forum as a cool guy pic.

"our" is a reference to the corporation that I am personally employed OCONUS.
As stated above, our DMs use these rifles as well

Ok...so what are they shooting at?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lw8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok...so what are they shooting at?</div></div>

Dont know, good question.

One of the pics shows 3 DMs within 5ft of each other. Obviously something "target rich" has escalated and needed some attention! Hopefully it was worth having that many bodies exposed on the rooftop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SwampKat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doesn't Staff Sergeant Jim Gilliland hold the world record for longest 7.62x51 kill?</div></div>SSG G both dialed and held elevation for that one, from O.P. Hotel.

To be fair: These guys here claimed 1250m 'shots', not hits.

Could be true....maybe not. In any case, I have more important things to worry about. Nice work if it is true, if it isn't true, it is unfortunate that people would be in such desperate need of attention. But, I don't have a dog in this fight, so I'll go back to doing other things like putting the insulation in the walls of my soon to be armory room.

I'm with everyone else on this one, i've use a M24 SWS on two iraq tours. Never even seen M118SB, only ever seen M118LR for any and every other sniper or SDM including me.

Now, doesnt look like any part of afghan or Iraq. you'd be lucky to see a part like that.

In this pic my guys were actually in a fire fight in Kabul thanks Red clover Concepts for this awesome pic!

Great hero pic, but printing on a rooftop like that in a "fire fight" and stopping to take some pics present this as sketchy. Not that anyone should judge because really who gives a shit. If this is staged to promote STA tac, its working, positive or negative outcome who knows...but I browsed your sight. Good luck in 2012 with your business, and I bet that weather in Honolulu must be torturis.

I'm a consultant for State/USAID and I was there that day as well. Looking over Sid's pics, they look legit. I know generally where his shooting position was, as well as the equipment involved. All pass the sniff test to me.

Sid, I'll be back there in a few weeks if you want to grab a beer at the D&C.