• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Afghan Interpeter UPDATED

Awesome bro, those that run the SIV gauntlet and make it through the other side are all very honored to have done so, but you're right in it's not easy. Thus far I've had five of my former terps make it to the States on the SIV program, with another seven pending final approvals including three of my current and former female employees. I tell them all "Come on over, I understand you won't make it here once we leave, but if you are willing to work hard you can easily make it in the USA." If no BSA goes through before 2015, this will be an ugly country for these folks for sure. I really worry about the females as they have had threats from officials of the current government as well as the Taliban, and are called "whores" on a regular basis by the rest of the locals because of their US job.

Location and education definitely make a difference, but University of Kabul degrees don't get them very far no matter where they land at. I tell them all to get as much US education as they can, even if it's repeating classes they have already taken over here. Northern Virginia is another black hole some fall into like Detroit area, and I discourage all of them going there if they can avoid it due to few jobs and high cost of living.

As they arrive as an immigrant with permanent status, they are eligible for US Military enlistment right away. I enlisted more than one "Green Card" holder as a recruiter last decade. I too though tell them it's a serious decision to not be taken lightly. So far none of them have joined, but one is looking hard at it as a shortcut to full citizenship and assimilation to his new country, as well as he has a feeling of debt to the USA he wishes to repay.

Well a little update, he will be here Friday, and a bunch of the guys are going to surprise him at the airport when he gets here. I'll take some pics for you guys to see.

I do have a concern and I figured others here might be able throw their thoughts in. With the birth of my little boy, I am a little concern about him being exposed to anything that he could be carrying. I had just about every shot in me when I was over there, just didn't know if this was something I should be concerned about. Going to contact the OU hospital and see if I can locate someone there to do a check up on him and maybe do some inoculations. Anyway, just something I was thinking about.

Cheers

Well a little update, he will be here Friday, and a bunch of the guys are going to surprise him at the airport when he gets here. I'll take some pics for you guys to see.

I do have a concern and I figured others here might be able throw their thoughts in. With the birth of my little boy, I am a little concern about him being exposed to anything that he could be carrying. I had just about every shot in me when I was over there, just didn't know if this was something I should be concerned about. Going to contact the OU hospital and see if I can locate someone there to do a check up on him and maybe do some inoculations. Anyway, just something I was thinking about.

Cheers

I think that is a valid concern, I would just emphasize since this is a newborn its imperative hands are washed prior to any contact and frequently during your stay. Word it so it seems your just being a paranoid father vice concerned of his medical/inoculation record. That's how I would handle it anyways; it gets the point across, takes the precaution, and won't alienate your buddy or make him uncomfortable.

Just tell it to him straight and then blame the wife. With my first born I felt like the Unclean the way my wife insisted on using hand sanitizers etc.

I imagine part of his processing in would have covered a physical? If not, see about getting him screened for TB (priority) and then chickenpox and mumps.

Look forward to the pics and congrats on the little one.

The process does include a medical exam and inoculations before their interview, although not necessary last week or even within the last six months in most cases. Medical Examination | Embassy of the United States Kabul, Afghanistan

My concern would be if he is showing physical signs of illness, but otherwise no worries as he would have had a fairly recent PPD done and a standard series of shots prior to travel. I would simply stress, like anyone should do when handling a newborn, to wash up first.

I've lived here for over seven years, have basic shots only and I think I'm out of date for my HEP series as it is or at least need a titer run on me. Healthy as a horse.

ETA: He should have had a battery of immunizations done as well prior to being your terp. I believe that is required for MEP employment, and I do know DoD requires medical examinations for HCN employees annually. Welcome to the worried father club bro, congrats.

Last edited:
I figured they had some sort of check up and shots, that's good to know my thinking was that off. I know it will make my better half feel more at ease with it.

Welcome to America Safi - thanks for your sacrifice.

Sorry I'm late to the party - donation made - BTT.

Well Safi made it to America! I can honestly say I have never had someone tell me thank you so many times. The tears in his eyes when he got off of the plane and saw us there to greet him has made everything worth it. Only six of the guys from the platoon could make it and a couple of wives. We went back to my house and spent the night talking. After 29 hours of traveling, you would think he would be tired, but he was full of energy just taking everything in. When I asked him what he thought of Oklahoma so far, he told me that it was paradise. So far the things that have blown his mind was the automatic flushing toilets at the airport in DC, my garage door opener, the roads and cars, my house, and the queen size bed I got for 150 dollars for him. It is the first time he has ever slept in a bed like that, it is all just so amazing to him. Here is a quick pic, more to follow.

m1Im4Hh.jpg

Culture shock for sure.... Enjoy that little one brother, they grow up fast.

He must feel as if he has landed on Mars... or maybe a little like Marco Polo, but reversed.

You know he can't swim, you better fix that.

How green the Eastern U.S. is will blow him away.

You saved that guy's life, no doubt.

I'm not real churchy, but I do believe in Kharma and that we tend to make our own luck.

1000 blessings on you, and your family, Victory.

Victory I am in Oklahoma, send me a pm or you can send me a note to [email protected] I would love to meet up with you guys and buy you around. I have a cousin (more like a Son, USMC) that has been to Afaganastin a few time maybe they might have met. Long shot though. Congrats on the little one God Bless you all.

Well this afternoon we mowed the lawn, and he learned how a lawn mower and weed eater worked, he really liked the lawn mower. lol

We also made a trip to Walmart to buy him a prayer rug so he can pray in his room. We didn't find one that exactly fit the bill, but it will work he said. Walmart was definitely an experience; I want to thank the group of college girls in short shorts and tank tops that made his day.

I never really understood how amazing we have it until I have to explain to him the things I have. The fact that I have a car and a truck, two computers and an IPAD, or that I spend money for toys that the dogs chew on.

So off to dinner, and then introducing him the the OKC Thunder, playoff time and OKC is about to gain a new fan.

Thanks for the well wishes and kind words, I'll update again soon.

Whenever I get the chance to see this country through the eyes of a new immigrant it reminds me of how much of a spoiled child I really am.

I gave what I could.

Another invite if you ever make it out to michigan....cabin in the woods on a lake and have every toy imaginable. Would be an honor.

Afghan Interpeter UPDATED

Victory, if Safi posts a list of things that he needs maybe some of us have some of it that we are not using and can ship it to him?

Last edited:
Victory, if Safi posts a list of things that he needs maybe some of us have some of it that we are not using and can ship it to him?

Great idea. Lord knows I have more than we need.

We need to get stories like this on the media. This is truly heartwarming. The taste of freedom will be greater with him than a thousand entitled Americans. Please more pictures! I love seeing stuff like this! Tell Safi he has some extended military family pulling for him! If there is anything specific he might need, like religious or whatnot, I'm in Pakistan and can get most things Islam/Muslim.

This is a great idea.

Spent 6 years in Afghanistan and got married there back in 07. Long story, but my wife from CA ran a non-profit and we coordinated for her assistant to come over to the US for a year on study program. Learnt a lot from that experience and as overwhelming as things will be for him in the first few weeks, be careful that he does not start to feel too isolated and lonely in a few months. We found through several young folks we have assisted that over time, as bad as Afghanistan sucks, they will start to miss their family and friends, the culture etc and the only familiar connection to that in the USA will be religion (not saying it's a bad thing at all). My terp in good family tradition married his cousin and moved to Australia. He was back in Afghanistan after a year. Missed his friends too much and realized he actually had to respect his wife in Australia, not so much in Kabul.

This is a pretty damn noble thing you are doing Victory, much respect to give this young man the opportunity to start fresh. Will be sending over a donation, but would certainly be in for sending over some "things" to get this fella started.

Welcome him to America, we are truely blessed in this country, don't get overwhemed by our lack of understand how well off we are. :)

Once again, thanks for all of the kind words guys. Spent time today getting him his SS# today. If you think Walmart is good for people watching, hit that place up near the first of the month. I ended up with a 1 year old on my lap the whole wait. His strung out mother was sleeping in her chair across from me and too busy doing that than taking care of her child. He was dirty, sick, and needed some love, so needless to say I picked him up and rocked him for a while. I don't think the black women around me were very happy about it. LOL

As for people asking if Safi needs anything, his basic needs are covered. He has clothes, a roof over his head, and food on his table. I can't really think of anything he is is need of right now, other than things like someone to teach him to drive and basically just people to donate their time to show him around and teach him stuff. Everything is a learning experience. Last night after dinner we had a class on the dishwasher, microwave, oven, and stove.Things that are hard to donate without being here in OK is what he really needs. I did create a site for people to donate money to help him purchase clothes and anything he needed when he first got here, and we raised about 800 dollars last time I checked. Some of that money has gone to a garage sale dresser, razors, and some shoes. I can't thank all those who have donated enough; I can't truly convey how thankful I am for all of the help. Safi defiantly can't comprehend the outpouring of support either; he has told me many times that even his own brothers wouldn't have done what we have for him. I know Safi would have done the same if the roles were reversed, so I have no problem giving what I can.

The first time Safi has ever been swimming. We bought him some trunks, and my nephew did his best to teach him how. He asked if I would take a picture so we can send it to his family in Afghanistan. He said they wouldn't believe him unless they saw the proof, so his next email will contain this pic. lol
7legHFH.jpg

Thanks again, and I will update again soon.

This whole thread is pure win.

Victory - I know I've mentioned the idea of a book already but what about Safi starting a blog on his experience/thoughts on both being here and his time over there? Speaking for myself, I would be fascinated to know how someone perceived and reacted to events as they unfolded, what made him want to support the Allies/US, go against the wishes of his family and probably many of his friends etc.

Unless I've missed it I don't believe we've really heard the perspective of people like Safi which would be a shame to lose. Just a thought.

Keep up the great work and please keep updating this thread when opportunity allows.

Last edited:
Awesome bro. I just yesterday had another employee from the last four years tell me he got his SIV and flies out tomorrow. That makes five for me, and I couldn't be happier. I don't have any way to put them up, don't think they want to live in my storage unit, but you have certainly gone above and beyond.

By the way, the rug shipped yesterday. Here's the picture so other folks can see what we're talking about as well:

14133288240_8cedce8e94.jpg

This is real immigration. This is what I think the nation thought about long ago when we called ourselves the Great Melting Pot. Now, it's give us your freeloaders and criminals. The melting pot has become The Great Cesspool. Welcome him home again for us, we all appreciate the service and sacrifice he made for the US and for you guys.

Once again, thanks for all of the kind words guys. Spent time today getting him his SS# today. If you think Walmart is good for people watching, hit that place up near the first of the month. I ended up with a 1 year old on my lap the whole wait. His strung out mother was sleeping in her chair across from me and too busy doing that than taking care of her child. He was dirty, sick, and needed some love, so needless to say I picked him up and rocked him for a while. I don't think the black women around me were very happy about it. LOL

As for people asking if Safi needs anything, his basic needs are covered. He has clothes, a roof over his head, and food on his table. I can't really think of anything he is is need of right now, other than things like someone to teach him to drive and basically just people to donate their time to show him around and teach him stuff. Everything is a learning experience. Last night after dinner we had a class on the dishwasher, microwave, oven, and stove.Things that are hard to donate without being here in OK is what he really needs. I did create a site for people to donate money to help him purchase clothes and anything he needed when he first got here, and we raised about 800 dollars last time I checked. Some of that money has gone to a garage sale dresser, razors, and some shoes. I can't thank all those who have donated enough; I can't truly convey how thankful I am for all of the help. Safi defiantly can't comprehend the outpouring of support either; he has told me many times that even his own brothers wouldn't have done what we have for him. I know Safi would have done the same if the roles were reversed, so I have no problem giving what I can.

The first time Safi has ever been swimming. We bought him some trunks, and my nephew did his best to teach him how. He asked if I would take a picture so we can send it to his family in Afghanistan. He said they wouldn't believe him unless they saw the proof, so his next email will contain this pic. lol
7legHFH.jpg

Vic, we had our disagreement in the past but congratulations on getting your friend here. Good luck to him in his new life. Great photo

7legHFH.jpg

I think you were able to make a group photo with Safi and the young girls in Walmart, his friends would be even more impressed than seeing him a swimming pool.

They would be impressed, or dissown him.

Update: Ive been out of town for some training for a bit so I haven't been able to update.

Safi got his prayer rug from that was sent from Redmanss, many thanks to him for taking his time and money to make that happen. I know that rug means a lot more to him coming from Astan than the Walmart version.

After a lot of work and studying, Safi passed his drivers permit test the first time with a 96%. On of my guys in my platoon had a father that was a Driver’s ED teacher, so he worked with him and got him squared away. His driving is horrible and scares the shit out of me, so we still have a lot of work to do there.

Right now the focus is getting him to pass the ASVAB. His math was a little rusty, and we need to expand his vocabulary a little. Hopefully it will happen soon, as he is getting a little bored and frustrated just chilling at my house while I’m off working and doing training.
He is kind of obsessed with watching religious services on TV, I’m guessing he is really curious, and eating tuna. The text he sent me after visiting a large mosque in TX with some of his interpreter friends that lived down there was, “This Mosque is huge, and beautiful. God bless America. “

Pictures and updates to come when I get a chance; pretty excited about the 4th of July BBQ and fireworks this weekend, I think he is going to love it.