• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2008
Returned to Australia from SA last week and have already made plans to head back in December! I've been many times before but this was my favorite trip to date.

The trip was made all the better due to my younger brothers making the trip as well as my father and some mates from Australia. I'm no scribe so I'll allow the pictures to speak for themselves.

Warthog on Day 2, managed to walk in on him (and pass a white Rhino @ 15m on the way) at a watering hole, approx 70m shot, the 130 Barnes TTSX high shoulder shot worked brilliantly, warthog made it no further than 30m.
P7160035-1.jpg

My Brothers Impala, great stalk and shot on his part, he was not under gunned with the Tikka 9.3x62!
IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

My youngest brother and his impala, did really well to get up close unguided for a headshot.
010.jpg

My Zebra and most definitely a highlight of my trip, over a 1km slow stalk just before dark on a large herd. In the african bush unguided for a couple of hours, it does not get better in my book and an experience I'll never forget.
P7190086-1.jpg

Woodleigh 286gr did very well.
IMG_0177.jpg

A friends Gemsbok taken @ 160m (yes we did point the curious blemish between his eyes!)
P7190080-1.jpg

My mates Kudu after a good stalk, 250 Barnes X did the job and then some: [
ThaboTholo20102047-1.jpg

Awesome!
P7160069.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

All up an unforgettable week had by all!

Rath

Re: Africa

Great pictures! Looks like you all had a great time. Thanks for posting.

Thanks,

It's an amazing trip, I can't recommend it enough.

December I'm chasing a Kudu and a Wildebeest if things go as planned. We also did a cull/ration hunt under the spotlight on this trip but it's rather tame after the spot and stalk experience.

Some more pics:

P7170075.jpg

ThaboTholo20102088.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

P7160052.jpg

P7150023.jpg

LionPhotos010.jpg

LionPhotos089.jpg

LionPhotos081.jpg

Yes, draining him, unfortunately he didn't make it.

They are attempting to repair the Rhino, unfortunately he died as a result of his wounds sustained by an Elephant. We also saw the results of Rhino wounded by other Rhino, the power of these animals is amazing. The Lioness are being treated by the vets, cleaned and vaccinated if I recall correctly.

Rath

Beautiful animals! Congrats on a very fine hunt, and Yes as you pointed out having family/friends with you really make an already awesome hunt EVEN BETTER
smile.gif
Love the pics.

Goodluck when you go back in December oh and BTW my Zebra was very similar to how you described your long stalk etc I can totally relate and its also my most prized african animal ive taken.

Awesome Sable as well!!!

Nice! Really like the buffalo picture...looks like he is thinking of testing you a little.

Great pics and congrats on a awesome hunt. I was fortunate to make it to South Africa this spring. Now I think I have to go back every year! Hunting Africa is very addicting.

It's not something I could afford to do, and maybe not something I would if I could; but it certainly appears to hae been done well. Kudos, and may the Kudu Horns be blown in your honor.

Greg

Just curious, what happens to the meat. Do the locals harvest the meat or are they left to nature for the scavengers to feed on. Wouldn't want to try warthog on the barbie but the gemsbok and some of the antelope look like they might be tasty.

In SA we ate Gemsbok, Springbok, Eland and Kudu. The Eland tenderloins were the best. The others were very good also. The remainder of the meat was sold or given to the local indigeneous folk. Zebra is mixed/ground with other types of meat and sold. The locals love the smaller Warthog too.

We ate some of the meat, the rest was either sold or given to the locals, not much is wasted in Africa. Young Warthog properly cooked remains the best meal I've ever had.

Rath

Yes I agree with you LegioX the Eland tenderloins was the very best that ive tasted barnone. Our tracker went absolutely nuts over a warthog we shot as it was very fat. although they get some of the meat its usually shared between some of the families. If they want the whole animal they needed to pay for it. So I bought it for him as he was an excellent tracker and I felt that was a small price to pay for his outstanding abilities.

Hope you dont mind me posting a pic but after what you said about your Zebra I couldnt help but think of my spot and stalk Zebra adventure and here he is
smile.gif

18937Africa_04_006.jpg

Great Zeb,

What rifle is that (Blaser?) and what caliber/load?

Cheers
Rath

Nice Hartmans 808. They were a lot of fun to hunt, and was the first animal I took in Namibia. My most prized is my Gemsbok. I turned down animals for 4 days before I pulled the trigger on him. 40.5 inches with 8.5" bases. Shot him from just down from the top of that hill behind him 375 yards.

100_1263.jpg