• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AFTER WRECKING MY BRAIN: HORNADY CLASSIC PRESS

308Shooter1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
After wrecking my brain for weeks reasearching turret and progressive presses I finally decided to go old school. I'm gonna buy a Hornady Classic Single Stage Kit.

I have been loading my .308 ammo with a Lee Classic Loader(Poor Mans Loader). I'm finally tired of the tapping, although it allowed me to produce great ammo. I decided to go with the Hornady kit with powder measure etc. I'm going to use competition dies(Probably RCBS) to press my ammo while weighing each charge.

I looked at the Dillon 550, Honady AP, and Lyman T-Mag II. I think I'm making a smart choice for some who's on a budget(Need everything under 500$ for dies and all). Are there any other recommendations for some that will be loading 50rnds a week MAX?

Re: AFTER WRECKING MY BRAIN: HORNADY CLASSIC PRESS

Forster Co-Ax press and Forster dies. $350 plus shipping from Natchez. Best single stage press and some of the best dies.

I think you made a sound choice. I don't own one, but have used that press. Every brand and color has an advantage or drawback over the other. You will have the tools needed to produce quality ammo and that's really all that matters.

I have two of the Hornady Classic's and love them, best single stage IMO and I have used several different makes.

I bought the Hornady LNL, i was ultimately swayed by the free bullet offer. After receiving it, I decided that the lock n load bushings were a rather pointless feature. I couldn't rationalize laying out money for something to only complicate the whole setup. I ended up getting a Lyman Crusher Expert Kit, it comes with a nice digital scale, a case trimmer, and a way better manual. Comparing the two side by side, the Lyman is a much heavier unit. It also comes with an ambidextrous handle positioning feature. I didn't load anything with the LNL, just wanted to get it back ASAP to Natchez to get the last Lyman model....I'm sure it performs fine...just don't see the lock n load bushings adding anything but extra cost...YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jumper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forster Co-Ax press and Forster dies. $350 plus shipping from Natchez. Best single stage press and some of the best dies. </div></div>

Agreed

I need to take this down... After getting to the store I saw the Hornady LNL AP was just 80$ more. I decided to go on and bite the bullet, LOL

I hope you're going to be as happy with your AP as I am with mine. One note on the powder measure: clean and degrease the interior metal parts. Wipe down all of the interior with a fresh dryer sheet (fabric softener). The anti-static cling spray works well too. Just make damned sure any surface that might contact powder is completely clean. The Hornady One Shot cleaner/dry lube is nifty for the exterior press parts, but NOT for the measure. Don't ask me how I know this. BTW, the Dillon primer tube alarm works on the AP as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bronco_buster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought the Hornady LNL, i was ultimately swayed by the free bullet offer. After receiving it, I decided that the lock n load bushings were a rather pointless feature. I couldn't rationalize laying out money for something to only complicate the whole setup. I ended up getting a Lyman Crusher Expert Kit, it comes with a nice digital scale, a case trimmer, and a way better manual. Comparing the two side by side, the Lyman is a much heavier unit. It also comes with an ambidextrous handle positioning feature. I didn't load anything with the LNL, just wanted to get it back ASAP to Natchez to get the last Lyman model....I'm sure it performs fine...just don't see the lock n load bushings adding anything but extra cost...YMMV </div></div>

I really like the bushings. Lock the dies in your bushings and quickly switching calibers is very convenient. As far as added cost, they go for about three bucks. That amounts to 6 rounds of reloaded 308. Not really significant to me and I participate on the low budget end of the shooting sports. The press itself is aluminum so yes it is lighter weight, but I fully expect my three year old son will be building quality ammo with it after I am gone.

The AP press gets great reviews and is high on my wish list, I hope the OP has good luck with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After wrecking my brain for weeks...</div></div>Don't you mean <span style="text-decoration: underline">racking</span> your brain?!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Attention everyone. Watch your slang and subject/verb agreement. We have an English professor in the building. </div></div>There's no building: This is the <span style="font-style: italic">outside</span> world. And the issue here is not slang or verb tense: You used the wrong word. Going to school, like saying what you mean to say, helps others take you more seriously.
smile.gif

Yes, if his brain is wrecked, then wrecked is the right word. But HE chose the word. Which would indicate maybe his brain is not REALLY wrecked, just racked. In which case the indicated correction would be more appropriate.

I use the hornady press and really like it. The best feature are the bushings. I have one for every die I have. For example, I have my full length sizers in the bushing and they are set and locked down so it takes about 2 sec to change dies and I know they are set wherenthe.y need to be

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Attention everyone. Watch your slang and subject/verb agreement. We have an English professor in the building. </div></div>There's no building: This is the <span style="font-style: italic">outside</span> world. And the issue here is not slang or verb tense: You used the wrong word. Going to school, like saying what you mean to say, helps others take you more seriously.
smile.gif
</div></div>

well I like the fact that we are expected to try and write properly , I know that I am not good at it as some but I do try and get it right .
I have been to some other forum's and you see the way thy write and it is hard to take it seriously

and as for the press I am using a Lee classic cast at the moment I was looking at upgrading to a turret press but I talked to the guy's on here and well I think I will spend my money on other things first

.Dave

ok so where is it ????

Well I'm from Louisiana. So in sorry if I "Wrecked" my brain instead of "Racked". Down here we don't say "Go" we say "Geaux", we don't eat soup we eat gumbo, and we don't say "Who Art Thou?" we say "Who Dat?".
Anyways thanks for all the information and even the English lesson.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I'm from Louisiana. So in sorry if I "Wrecked" my brain instead of "Racked". Down here we don't say "Go" we say "Geaux", we don't eat soup we eat gumbo, and we don't say "Who Art Thou?" we say "Who Dat?". Anyways thanks for all the information and even the English lesson. </div></div>Ca ne fait rien.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I'm from Louisiana. So in sorry if I "Wrecked" my brain instead of "Racked". Down here we don't say "Go" we say "Geaux", we don't eat soup we eat gumbo, and we don't say "Who Art Thou?" we say "Who Dat?". Anyways thanks for all the information and even the English lesson. </div></div>Ca ne fait rien.
grin.gif
</div></div>

Bien sûr, il ne.