• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Aftermarket Bottom Metal for FN SPR (Mod 70) in WSM

clark33

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2019
I received a custom built rifle many years ago as a graduation present. It is a FN SPR action and is chambered in 270WSM. I was reloading for it using the 140gr accubonds and it shot ok, not great. After expanding my knowledge I discovered that due to the bottom metal, hinge plate style, I can only load 2.830" COAL, and basically am forced to jump these bullets a mile. I can not load anywhere near the lands. This shorter mag length also prohibits me from using any of the new high bc bullets. I can't even load factory Precision Hunter ammo into the magazine as they are to long.

Short story long, is there any after market bottom metal for FN SPR actions that will accept WSM cartridges? Would it be difficult for a good gunsmith to find an alternate solution for this if not?

Thanks

Will take care of all of your needs.

Send them your rifle and they will modify the stock and receiver for DBM.

I use there DBM along with Accurate mag's in my Win M70 in 7WSM, runs like an open sore!

Good Luck.

If you have any questions give Jeff a call. He actually answers the phone and will gladly
discuss your goals and will provide you with solid information with great customer service.

Last edited:
Clark33 I think you have the wrong mag box. A win M70 WSM mag box is over 3” internal. I think mines around 3.050”.

I built my 6.5saum on a win m70 WSM action and the factory mag box and follower work perfect. The only thing I bought was PTG aluminum 1 piece bottom metal.

I believe its built on the action/receiver designed for the .308 length SA cartridges. Since its hinge plate mag it looks like the options are pretty limited and the receiver will have to be modified.

Ding, Ding, Ding we have a winner!

Now just give Jeff a call. Quick turnaround and top notch quality.

Sorry--I have to disagree--I have both a 300wsm and 308 FN SPR actions sitting in front of me . The 308 mag box has a spacer at the rear which shortens the available cartridge allowable length. Danny1788 findings match mine. My hinged floorplate WSM mag box is stamped 1340 on the rh side--the 308 box is stamped ASL . Both actions are FNH USA SPR Fredericksburg Va

Reactions: Geno C.
I guess my statement was not clear. I apologize.

When you convert to the CDI DBM system all of the stuff you are seeing goes BYE BYE.

Then you can use the industry standard AICS mags for .308 style cartridges, or Accurate Mag
if you are running a WSM.

I know as all 3 of my Win M70 have been modified. And it is hands down the best mod I have
had done to these rifles.

Respectfully submitted,

Chet

Reactions: clark33
I'm tracking what you are saying Chet. I'll give him a call. Any issues with them actually cutting/modifying the receiver?

No issues at all.

The amount of material and the area from which it is removed has no effect on strength and unless you know
were to look it is not visible.

The factory box magazine and follower for the WSM action currently allow for a 3.050" internal length. Just change out those items if it's a control round feed action (might need the ejector too) and you're good. If it's a push feed, you might need some machining on the action. I don't know if the AI type mags give you 3.050"... I just saw you have the SPR action... New ejector or rework the existing one, WSM box and follower and you're done.