• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Aftermarket Remington 700 actions

bronco9588

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2011
Charleston, SC
I love the articles on 6mmbr.com. It is a great source of information, but they don't seem to publish new things anymore. This is one of my favorite articles:

Custom Actions

The article is great, but lawton is out of business??? and I wonder if there are other good names on the market to consider?

I am looking for a long action and it must be a drop in replacement for a Remington 700. Looking a $1000 for a long action, 20 moa matching base, "repeater", and very square. I am leaning towards pierce.

What are your thoughts?

In all seriousness though, some of the best out there are Surgeon, Defiance and Stiller. There are others as well, but this is a sampling. Surgeon may extend the budget, but you can work with the others. Of course, no one can snuff at a WELL-TRUED Remington receiver. In my (limited) experience, it can be incredibly smooth and very capable of accuracy

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

There are so many good options I shant waste my breath. But seriously, try google search for remmington custom clone or something to that effect and you can waste your own time picking between many different and yet almost equal options.

You should try looking at the internet sometime.

I know how to use the internet... I am not an idiot. Heck, Al Gore is my uncle. He taught me everything I know ;)

Seriously though... I already did the google thing for about two hours. I just hit a little analysis paralysis and couldn't move on. There really isn't a great place to see consumer reviews or read an article with the exception of the 6mmbr.com article that I have found. Sure I'll hit other forums, but nothing like a good review or conglomeration of good information.

In all seriousness though, some of the best out there are Surgeon, Defiance and Stiller. There are others as well, but this is a sampling. Surgeon may extend the budget, but you can work with the others. Of course, no one can snuff at a WELL-TRUED Remington receiver. In my (limited) experience, it can be incredibly smooth and very capable of accuracy

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same. My Stock remintons still shoot very well. I think accuracy lies more so in the barrel than the action. I'm still having them trued eventually. Does trueing actually increase smoothness of the action? I guess that's a bit of a dumb question but hell I've never used a worked over Remington.

Looking at people running Templars, alpha 11s, surgeons, and so on makes me want a custom though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Custom repeater, Stiller TAC, Borden SSR, Bat VRPIC and others. its hard choose the best

I was thinking the same. My Stock remintons still shoot very well. I think accuracy lies more so in the barrel than the action. I'm still having them trued eventually. Does trueing actually increase smoothness of the action? I guess that's a bit of a dumb question but hell I've never used a worked over Remington.

Looking at people running Templars, alpha 11s, surgeons, and so on makes me want a custom though.

Truing essentially makes your barrel line up more accurately to your action.

Remington's acceptable tolerances are much "looser" than your gunsmith's.

Does that mean stock actions are bad? No, not at all, it just means that you could potentially get one that's quite a bit off.

If you have an action that's off, not even the best barrel is going to save that rifle.

Truing an action costs @ $300-$500...+ The action itself @ $500 ...Or you can just buy a Stiller for $1,000.00 that's guaranteed to be trued...The same goes for Defiance, etc etc etc.

I've had 3 stock Remington Actions...2 shot like shit until trued the 3rd was 100% dead on...

So is it better to buy a custom action? That's your call...

Aftermarket Remington 700 actions

Truing essentially makes your barrel line up more accurately to your action.

Remington's acceptable tolerances are much "looser" than your gunsmith's.

Does that mean stock actions are bad? No, not at all, it just means that you could potentially get one that's quite a bit off.

If you have an action that's off, not even the best barrel is going to save that rifle.

Truing an action costs @ $300-$500...+ The action itself @ $500 ...Or you can just buy a Stiller for $1,000.00 that's guaranteed to be trued...The same goes for Defiance, etc etc etc.

I've had 3 stock Remington Actions...2 shot like shit until trued the 3rd was 100% dead on...

So is it better to buy a custom action? That's your call...

Yeah I had read up on trueing I was just curious as to weather it made bolt travel smoother or not?

My statement regarding accuracy is assuming you have a functioning action. That's bad luck masked sorry you had two that were duds. Out of the four I own none are trued all shoot. Hence the statement regarding accuracy. I just bought a 700 action new was hoping to catch it on sale for 390$. Didn't make it. Got it at 450$

It definitely cost about the same when all said and done if you beef up a stock Remington to a custom. I've gone with Remington's mainly cause I can shoot as I go rather than saving up for the action. Sure there will be some down time due to gunsmithing but there will be a large chunk where I can't shoot either. So it works out. All said and done it might end up more than just buying a custom rifle from the get go. So far I think my 5R given what's on it has topped out at 2500$ there is still a ways to go. That said it shoots very well for a factory action/barrel.

As already listed, surgeon, defiance and stiller are probably the most popular clones for tactical shooting. You will have a tough time getting a surgeon action these days.
The stiller is a bit less money and well liked, you really cant go wrong with most customs. Actions tend be kind of a ford vs chevy debate. As you've already seen you'll
need thick if you want questions answered here but there a huge amount of info available.

Thanks blackops! I don't think I would have found short actions custom's alpha 11 action on google alone. It seems to meet all my needs and more:

1) Double pinned .312 recoil lug
2) 20 MOA base that is pinned and screwed
3) Threaded bolt handle
4) Fluted one piece bolt
5) Cerakote and other gun smith services

Looking at 1200 for the action plus the extra services.

Look at Big Horn actions. Don't know the wait time but it fits your bill.
Integral lug, 20 moa rail.as good as it gets.