• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Age For First Gun?

Hey gang, I was wondering how old you all were when you received your first firearm? I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly so, but we'll see) that most of you got a BB/pellet gun prior to a rimfire/centerfire. I believe I was around 5-6 when I got my first BB gun, and 12 or 13 when I got my first .22 LR.

My wife thinks it'd be best to wait untill the boys are pretty old (14-15) to be introduced to something new (bb gun). But I have more of the mindset that it'd be best to raise them around guns, with the belief that they'll grow up with an understanding and respect for them. (Yes, I know, proper gun training and parenting can make either safe and enjoyable, but I think you all know what I mean.)

So my question(s) to you all is;

How old were you got your first BB/pellet gun? First real firearm?

And would you do the same (time of introduction) with your kids? If not, what would you do different?

Re: Age For First Gun?

My son was 5 when he began shooting BB guns and 7 when he received his first .22lr rifle.

He shoots in a youth league at the club I belong to during the winter months. All of the kids really enjoy it and they had really improved after the season.

You are the only one who knows whether or not your kids are/will be mature enough to handle a firearm safely under supervision.

The younger the better. Safety, comfort level, skill level... kinda like walking and talking. Its much easier to learn when your young.

I was 7 when I began my formal training, on daisy 853 target air rifles. My father gave me a .22 pistol the same year, but I was not allowed to use it until I was much older. the next year I saved up and bought my own Crosman 760 from wallyworld. I was allowed to shoot that by myself.

When I turned twelve, I ran a trapline by myself and carried a .22 rimfire that I was allowed to practice with as much as I could afford.

Remember, a lot depends on the individual kid's maturity and competence. There are a lot of kids that need to be carefully mentored until their mid-teens before you let them loose. I've worked in 4-H and a few other siimilar venues training kids as NRA Certified junior instructor since I was 14 (I think) and I'd say as long as you are willing to work closely with them, start them as soon as they possess the motor skills to make it come together. 4 or 5 is about right, imho.

-The Kid.

Got my first BB gun at 7. First 22 at around 10 I believe it was.

My 6yr old daughter has a 22 cricket now and loves to shoot it. Although her attention span is quite short. LOL

Charlie

got my first BB gun at 6 and 22 at 8, my daughter got to shoot when she was 4 ( I held the 22 and she pulled the trigger while sitting on my lap) got her own cricket at 6 and now that she is 8 she has a 22 pistol that she shoots very well. Her whole collection is in the safe with mine.

Yeah, I wouldn't let the kids hang onto their guns or anything, would always be in the safe with my stuff.

I remember always having my pellet gun with me though when I was a kid. I lived out in a rural area with a lot (hundreds of acres) of woods around me, and was out there pretty much every day, and I always had it. Was sorta like a sidearm in the old west, didn't always use it, but it was always there. I dont think I'd let my kids do that, the world has changed a lot, unfortuantely. But we'll see how they do.

Never had a BB gun. Got my first .22 at 12. Both my son's the same.

BB gun at 6. 22lr at 9(a bottom of the line Noble single shot). Have done the same with both of my boys. Nothing better than shooting with the kids. At 44 I still have and shoot that old Noble. I think she would Blue Book at about $30 but it's the one that got me started and she's priceless to me. I hope my kids feel the same about theirs someday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HathcockWannebe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remember, a lot depends on the individual kid's maturity and competence. There are a lot of kids that need to be carefully mentored until their mid-teens before you let them loose.</div></div>

AMEN TO THIS!! Just like rifles and scopes...no two different kids are created equal. Use your best judgment about what age seems appropriate under the circumstances based on a number of factors including but not limited to the child's size, mental and emotional maturity, whether they seem interested or want to get involved in learning how to shoot, etc. I have watched more kids get turned OFF to shooting sports because of an overzealous parent or instructor pushing them to do something that they clearly either weren't ready for or didn't want any part in at the time.

For me, I actually got a rimfire (Marlin .22LR) before I got an air rifle. I received the Marlin for Christmas when I was 7yo (and I still have it and shoot it at least a couple times every year...it will belong to my kids when they are ready). I had an incredible Dad who grew up in a house where responsible firearms ownership, safety and training were prized, so I got a great teacher. I spent a LOT of time in the basement with it learning how to properly care for the rifle, learning trigger control, general firearms safety...the basics...before I ever got to shoot a live round through it. By the following Fall (I had turned 8 by then), I was plugging squirrels and rabbits with it right beisde my Dad who started teaching me to hunt.

I was starting on shotguns and centerfire rifles when I was around 10 and didn't shoot my first pistols (a .22lr Ruger Single Six) until I was probably 12yo or so.

My sons have always been able to look at or use our firearms whenever they wanted, but I controlled the access. Safety has been drilled into them since they started shooting at about age 5, and, at 13 now, they have good habits. During their first deer hunt last fall both exhibited very good behavior and skills (one deer taken at over 300 yards after climbing a steep hill), so they each received a deer rifle for Christmas.

As others have said, it depends on the child. I do think they need to demonstrate their skill and responsibility before they own a firearm, but they only way they will do that is through training and experience.

One of them is starting to show an interest in reloading now, too. That could be handy!

There is no reason to start small. I remember the first time I shot my dad's .357. I was seven years old. I'd start them out with .22s at around 4-5 and centrefire around 7-8. Handguns whenever.

I never got a BB gun, to this day I still don't have one.
frown.gif

I do have quite a collection of guns though thanks to my father.
grin.gif

I started off when I was bout 5 or 6, and I shot.22's rifles and pistols. I learned at an early age to respect the gun, and how to shoot safe, as well as, handle a firearm.

When you introduce a young child to a gun, it takes away some of the mystic that a gun can have..

I took my daughter(6 at the time) last year shooting for the first time, and she loved it.. I bought her a ruger .22 rifle. We shot balloons, and soda cans all day..

I say introuduce the kids to the guns early, this way it builds a realtionship with you,them, and the guns. It also could deter them from doing drugs, or getting into some mischief, if they are out shooting with you..

IMG00229-20110504-1624.jpg

IMG00230-20110504-1639.jpg

Pink one is hers, she fully loads, aims, shoots, cleans and puts in the safe on her own, and the AR is on loan from Dad. She is 5.

My old man started me shooting a BB gun at 3 or 4 year old and a 22LR at 5. The younger the better. We shot often and I never had the slightest urge to shoot when he wasn't around or mess with the guns when my parents weren't around when I was growing up. Let them shoot at a young age and take all the curiousity out of it that could get them in trouble. Introducing them at a younger age allows more time to foster the respect that they should have for safe gun handling.

I never owned a BB/Pelet gun. I grew up on the cheap 'orange cap' popper guns that children play with at around age 4-8. When I outgrew those I had already been taught proper firearm safety blah blah blah. My first real gun was a 20ga. shotgun at age 12. Cristmas in fact. Still have it, never be without it. Two years following my dad bought a 17 caliber pellet gun for pest controll purposes that I played with alot in the back yard killing "pests" when I wasn't supposed to... Then bought my second gun with my own hard saved money for the upcoming deer season at age 14/15 through my dad. Sold it last year, bought my MkII (which im going to sell soon too) and in another year on my birthday I'll finally legally own my own firearms.

Jon - what kind of .22 is that pink rifle?

To all the others - I absolutely agree on the per-individual basis on where they are in terms of responcibility, maturity, etc. But was just looking for a general idea of where the bulk of you had obtained your first BB gun, rifle, etc. And I thank all of you for your responces. The bulk of you seem to of started around 5-8, like myself. I was thinking around 6-8 for the boy's so whenever they're ready around then, I think it'll be the time.

Age 5-6 little Daisy BB gun.

Around the age of 8 my dad let me take the BB gun out unatended.

Then when he saw I was safe with it and not stupid (ie shooting the cats or windows or just unsafe handling) he got me a .22 at im guessing around 9. Made me shoot irons.

.410 shotgun around 10

Scope for my .22 around 11 after i proved myself with irons.

Then it all just varied from there.

I belive its pretty dangerous to introduce them to firearms to late, when the house is full of guns....
Their natural interest and will make them wanna handle your guns, and if you like your wife says should wait until they are 14-15 years old, they will likely themself find a solution earlyer to play with guns.

So I belive the earlyer you start them the better it is.
But I would definitely limit their acess to the guns.

In my home I have old sabres, muzzleloaders, microscopes, cameras och various instruments everywhere in the acess for the children.
They never really cared about it or paid much attention to it as it always have been there.
While their friends sometimes makes very big eyes for my toy collection.

Håkan

Aer454, that’s a Cricket, I have a Marlin Papoose from the first two kids and it is a better built rifle but a little heavier. She wanted a pink one, so all Santa could find was the Cricket. It's ok for what it does but now she wants to drive my AR with the stock in the fully collapsed mode.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It's ok for what it does </div></div>

To be honest, thats all I'm really looking for. The super lightweight is another plus I'd think, for the small arms to hold up. Get the boys started with something like the Crickett, and as they prove to be safe shooting it, and some of my rifles, they'll gain some experience on what they want for a next rifle, and we could go from there. But it sounds like the Crickett is just right for the job.

Don't remember when I got my first pellet rifle. I have a photo of me (looks like I was about 4 or 5) pumping it up by laying it on the ground and working the pumparm with both hands. Had a .22 when I was 6 or 7, single shot 20 ga when I was 10.

Things were different 30+ years ago.I don't think there's anything wrong with young kids using firearms, but there sure seems to be A LOT more idiots who would completely freak out if they saw a 6 year old (or even a 12 year old for that matter) with a .22. I was also running around in the woods all by myself when I was 6 and there are plenty of people who would call child protective services about that these days as well. Really sad how everything's gotten so pussified...

Each of mine received there 1st rifle when they turned 5. I skipped the BB gun and went right to the Cricket. I think that I'm more strict than most because from day one I took the approach that they are not allowed to point any gun (even a toy gun) at anyone. Each child was required to tell me what each part of the gun was, what it does and how to remove the bolt etc. They also needed to be able to say and demonstrate what to do in specific situations (hang fire / RO cease fire,etc.) and go through many hours and hours of dry firing before they went to live rounds.

Here are a couple of pics: my oldest son is 6 in these and daughter is 5. That's Nomag (from the Hide) in the background)

DSC_0613.jpg

DSC_0614.jpg

DSC_0404.jpg

I was around 5 I believe when I got my first Red Rider, but 8-9 when I got my first Powerline 880.
Dad was taking me out to hunt the entire time on deer and pheasant hunts.

My niece will be 6 this winter and I think she's getting a BB gun. She's had a Nerf rifle that I've been trying to train her on for the last 2 years so hopefully she's ready. She already likes to come out and shoot with me, but I want her to be able to DO, instead of just WATCH.

IMO, waiting until they are 14-15 to learn to shoot or learn the respect needed is WAY TO LONG. That would be like not letting your kids learn to drive until they are 22.

Got my first Daisy at 9, hunters safety at 12 and my Speedmaster 22 at 12.

I introduced my daughters (twins) at 9, hunters safety at 10, I got them a Marlin 915YS and an old school Mossberg bolt action 410. They harvested their first squirrels at 10yo. This year they are 12 and they will be going for PD with a Savage in 222, and then Antelope with a 250 Savage. Also for plinking, both of them can handle a chinese sks, the LOP is just right for them at 12.5" and it only weighs 7.5 lbs.

Like most, I have many firearms in my household and I taught my children to respect them, never play with them and how to properly load, unload, clean etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: canman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never had a BB gun. Got my first .22 at 12. Both my son's the same. </div></div>

same here

my daughter is 8 days old and i just bought her a mark3 and a cz 452. i think it will be awhile before she uses them but they are here waiting.

No BB gun.

Dad bought me a Winchester Model 670A in 243Win when I completed the hunter safety class at age 12.

I bought myself a 22 a couple years later with my summer work money.

Dad wasn't really into recreational shooting, just getting meat.

I was 8 or 9 when I got my first BB/pellet gun, and the rule was don't shoot your eye out boy, or the barn cats, or the mail box, or the windows, or your sisters, etc. I think age 12 was when I got my first .22 for Christmas. Age wasn't a factor that I recall being part of the equation, it was a matter of having the money to get me one. Dad had a few firearms and I remember shooting his 39A for a LONG time before I finally got my own. I suppose his insistance that he had to be WITH me to shoot it was age related, but I always considered that to be prudent parenting.

Once I got my own I was old enough in his eyes to hunt small game by myself and he allowed me to carry three .22 shells on my squirrel/rabbit excursions around the farm. The condition was if I fired any of those rounds I'd better be toting the same number of dead edible legal critters back with me. We ate a lot of squirrels, rabbits, and grouse once I was turned loose with my little glenfield 22 bolt rifle...the one with the squirrel stamped into the stock.

Per my own kids, we've a nice big fox squirrel mounted here on the wall that my oldest, now 16, killed when he was 5 with a .22 chipmunk rifle that I bought for him. That rifle was passed down to my younger boy when the oldest got his Henry lever rifle. My little girl got her pink crickett for her 5th birthday along with a pink fishing pole, both of which she still uses today. There's a few BB guns around here too.....

The rule my dad had still stands, they need to be with me to shoot, but I allow the oldest to go shoot on his own out here behind the house. He has all the safety rules firmly engrained in his soul and has proved himself more than enough as GTG. The two younger ones are fine with waiting for me to go along.

I take them all hunting and here in VA they can hunt at any young age as long as there is adult supervision. My oldest has countless squirrels and groundhogs under his belt, and I can't fathom a guess as to how many whitetails between the three of 'em. The oldest now has a .243 and .308, and the two younger ones use my rifles. Sorta nice now that with them all able to hunt I can just sit back and watch them fill the freezer.

We live in a very rural area where guns and hunting are simply part of the culture here, accepted, normal, encouraged. This Life choice is a continuation of my upbringing, on purpose, and I'm pretty sure my kids wouldn't have it any other way.

Got my first pellet gun at 5, then first 22 at 7, then a .410 at 12.

I wasn't raised around guns until I found dads 30-30 in the attic and asked him about it. I guess my mom made him put it away when they started having kids. With my son I really tried to take the curiosity out of guns, since I live in the country and they are pretty much in every other house around us. He is 7 now a has a 22lr and bb gun. He can take his bb gun out now if he is by himself and he can ask to see his 22 whenever he wants. He also know that he isn't allowed to go into my reloading room where my safe is, or there will be hell to pay, unless I am in there.

What sucks ass now is that he can hit pop cans more often then I can with his red rider. That thing is awesome watching the bb curve left and right, I didn't realize how bad it was until a few days ago when we had a competition. I guess a new pellet gun is on the menu.

^ I had a sick Gamo pellet gun that I got rid of about 2 years ago. I wish now that I kept it. I was surprised at just how accurate it was as far as pellet guns go. No problem at all pegging pop cans at 100. I believe it actually ran me more than my MKII. I got tired of cocking it for every shot. Especially since I have no right collar bone.
crazy.gif

021.jpg

Here is our little girl (like you could not tell from the clothes and gun). She is 3 in this pic and started "pulling the trigger at 16mo." She is never unsupervised and shot her first squirel the other morning at 41 mos. Before the bashing, it is single shot 22lr with integral supp. She loads and aims on her own but we are never much further than an arms length away.

Got my first BB gun at 6 or 7 I think. Then bought my first rifle, an old Rem 700 300 win mag, after I got my first job at 16....

I got a BB gun when I turned 4. My first .22LR (Model 60) was when I was 7. I then got a .410 when I turned 10 I believe. I wish my Dad would have been more of a shooter. I am really the only shooter in my immediate family and everything is self taught (and using y'all.) When I have kids, not anytime soon because I am 20 and in college, they will probably start younger. At least, those are my thoughts, but I'm sure having a wife could cause problems with that thought!

I got my first bb gun at 5 or 6. Then when I was old enough to hold a full sized rifle I got a pump up pellet rifle. I could shoot it by myself and also started to learn the functions of all the firearms in the house. Not allowed to touch them but did know how to load unload and clean them. Got my fisrt 22lr at round 9 or 10 but it had the tube mag lost so it only worked as a single shot.

I think it depends on the child and how well they listen. My son started shooting an AR by the age of seven. So many years ago now. My daughter prefers to shoot handguns and is pretty good at that.
whistle.gif

My son is turning 2 this December, he already has a Heritage 22 revolver.

My daughter was just born 2 weeks ago, but she (with the help of big bro) will be opening a pink cricket .22 plinker and he will be getting a matching black one.

As for shooting, all kids are different. As I mentioned my son will be 2 this December and he is already talking, running around, and starting to potty train a little, and I am expecting by the time he is 3½ or 4, he will be ready to shoot.

Just wait until the kids are comfortable and can handle the equipment.

For my girl, I did a 22 chipmonk with red dot at age 5, then a 243 at age 8. Make sure the gun fits, and I always had them shoot steel instead of paper.
abbyfirstdeer.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NorthEastWinter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sold a 22 at work to a guy for his unborn son last week... too early? </div></div>

I have three kids, I bought all three of them a Marlin 39a, a Ruger 3-Screw Single Six and a Marlin 336 before they were born. Each time my wife was pregnant I started hitting guns shows looking for guns, just what every guy needs, another reason to buy nice old guns. I have since bought each of them a Remington 788, a Savage 101, and a Daisy Red Ryder. My son shot his first deer last year with his 788 in 7mm-08. All of my kids started shooting .22's and going hunting with me when they were 3 years old.

One thing about having kids and wanting them to grow up with guns, is you never know what to expect from day to day. Its a big expense raising children and if you have a chance to pick them up a sweet .22 even before they are born, I suggest doing it. Its something that you will already have set up for that one special day in the future.

You never know if tomorrow you will be able to provide for them like you could today...

I got my first single shot 22 when I was 6, but then again I had to learn to shoot from a former USMC pistol coach (50s), one who'd had at least one cross range discharge put a hole in his field jacket while he was in it. (My father's Lejune pistol range stories make me totally forgiving of every asshole RO I've ever had to deal with) Firearms/range safety has been part of my life literally as long as I have memories.

My son was given a brand new 10/22 by my father before he was 2yrs old. He knows it is his and I have not even fired it myself and will not until he is ready.

I am kinda strict on him as well. The women in my family are not happy about firearms so I try extra hard to teach him safety first. I don't tolerate pointing and saying "pow" at people or pets. He has an old stock from a 10/22 build of mine and the hogue off of my 700 sps-aac. He has a cheapo bipod on it and he pretends he is behind it looking for deer. I often worry I have allowed him to be introduced too young, but I also hope he will not be as curious about them and respect them. The little dude makes me wipe "his" 10/22 down every time I return from hunting/shooting and wipe my own rifle down as I put them away. I like how proud he is of it.

Enjoyed reading the post in this thread. I can't wait for him to be ready and most of all wants to join me in doing the things I enjoy to do.

Waiting till they're teenagers is a mistake, you will have missed your chance to teach them. I started my son shooting pellet guns around 4, 22's at 5, and hunting with me @ 8 when he got his first turkey with my old browning 20 ga.
He's 12 now and shoots all our rifles and others, but still loves that browning. I let him guide a turkey hunt with a 9 year old this year. Glassing him from a distance, he made me very proud. You're going to have to let them go on their own sooner or later, so the younger you teach them, the better off they are.
DSC_1041-1.jpg

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ij9cb2O8HI"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ij9cb2O8HI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Good luck with yours!

My son has been handling his toy guns correctly for a year now, and he is 3 1/2. I expect I'll get him a 22 either next summer or for his 5th birthday in December depending on how he does. Right now every time I go shooting or hunting he gets upset if he can't come with. His grandma took him to the zoo last week and he was driving her crazy asking for his gun so he could hunt the animals.

It really comes down to their interest and maturity level. He has grown up with guns around the house and watches me clean them, work on them, load ammo etc. He knows not to touch any of "daddy's guns" unless I am there and give him permission. He even yelled at his mom for moving one of my rifles I had on the table because I wasn't there.