• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

aged ammo

1stforce

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2007
Mundelein, Ill
Gents,

Not sure where to post this, so I figure go to the experts on ammo.
Was given several cans of belted 7.62. Concern is the date stamp is 75. My intention was to run it through an AK I have. Any feed back?

Re: aged ammo

Hell, I just picked up 750 rounds of CMP 30.06 date 68. I won't even think twice about running it through my '43 Garand.

Mostly depends on how it was stored. Is it all corroded? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

The volume of powder in small arms cartridges is too small to spontaneously deflagrate under normal earth-surface temperatures if the stabilizers are all depleted.

Degraded powder loses power. The only ill effects I am aware of from old ammo are duds and stuck bullets if it gets too bad.

The QUALITY of USGI ammo is such that I would not worry a bit about anything less than 100 years old (with the exception of WWI production with cupro-nickel jackets that can cold-solder themselves to the case necks. = dangerous pressure spikes!).

If any such ammo had been stored in such hot conditions that the cases are almost black, I'd sample 100 from the lot and inspect the powder. Do NOT!!!! sniff it before looking at it, as the red-residue stuff is quite toxic!!!. IF the powder is not chalky or red, fire away.

Thank you for the info I willl check a few and start running them Saturday. Appreciate the help. Love this Site.