• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing AGI tapes?

MtnManCO

Private
Minuteman
Just curious if anyone is familiar with the series from AGI on gunsmithing? I am interested in learning to smith, mostly for my own projects, but live a couple hours from the trade school and any other gunsmiths.

I was wondering if anyone has any idea what you can really learn from the tapes? I know its not ideal and I'm sure you would still have to learn a ton of things the hard way. So is it a waste of time or not?

Thanks in advance.

Re: AGI tapes?

The AGI tapes I've watched were very informative. Each video goes over the firearm history, function/design, disassembly/reassembly, cleaning/lubrication, and addresses many of the problem areas and how to correct issues like timing, lockup, etc. In a month I learned how to tear down and reassemble every popular handgun on the market with the AGI tapes. I haven't seen any of the videos on milling machines though. For rifle work you pretty much need to apprentice yourself to an experienced smith, I just don't see a video teaching you how to run any given lathe or milling machine..

You'll be very disapointed with them. Each video is trying to sell you the next video. For example I got the Super tuning the factory rifle video but along the way they touched on subjects like glass bedding which is very relevant to video subject matter but you had to buy the glass bedding video to see any of this and on the chambering part of the video, you had to buy the barrel fitting video to see how they remove the barrel from the action etc. The whole video series is apparently like this. Keep your money and stick to asking question on the Hide.

You'll learn more by doing. If you have access to a lathe and a mill, and have someone give you the basics as to safety and operation, reading books, watching videos and practice what you read and watch, you can teach yourself whatever you want. Not saying that you learn how to turn on a lathe in the morning and precision chamber a barrel after lunch, but practice, make a few tools, and it will be amazing how fast you pick things up.

If you don't have regular access to machining equipment, a trade school would be your best bet.

Take a machine shop course at a community college. I worked at a machine shop for about a year. Havent worked there for about 5 years. I bought a lathe back in October while home on leave and just finished my first rifle build yesterday. Chambered and contured a barrel myself and it shoots great. It can happen if you play your cards right. I have no gunsmithing training at all. Most was learned here on the hide.