• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI 223 conversion?

higginsworksforme

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2009
Kentucky
What all is involved in converting an AI to 223? The threads I found mention bolt faces and barrels and in some cases modified mags.

What all is involved in converting an AI to 223? The threads I found mention bolt faces and barrels and in some cases modified mags.
Contact Greg Young at Bugholes. He is doing them. But be advised, they're not 100% worked out. Seems like 1 out of 5 conversions still have problems.

Yep bugholes is the source.

If you load, I would seriously consider the cost vs just shooting 6BR. A complete converted bolt is $1150 plus $95 per converted mag plus a barrel. At just the $1150 for the bolt it will pay the minimal cost difference in the components to load a lot of ammo. The realistic barrel life for a 223 also isn’t that much better than 6BR. BR is known to feel well in AI’s with HRD mag kits and usually works with no tweaking and at most you might have to work the feed lips some.

Reactions: kthomas
we are fitting barrels to actions and tuning extractors/mags etc for each rifle now. there were a few issues here and there when this was being offered as a pre-fit, but theres very little issues with the fitted/tuned versions that were doing now
you can reduce your cost by utilizing a bolt that you already have, but if youre getting a new bolt they are pricy (and hard to find)