• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AI .223 magazine issue

Barrel Nut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2008
Oak Ridge, TN
I have a Savage in a B&C stock with CDI bottom metal. Occasionally when cycling the bolt the spent round ejects correctly but instead of chambering the next round, it ends up pointing down and pushed down into thd front of the magazine....I'm not even sure how that is possible. ..Anyone else experienced this? I have no idea how to begin to fix it

Is it a problem with just one magazine or is it consistant with all of your AI .223 mags? If you find out that those magazines won't work for you, I would be happy to take them off your hands. They seem to be non-existant at the moment.

We had the same issue, it would happen on the last round... Generally when running the bolt fast. We did 2 things: Added a piece of velcro to the front of the mag so it fit a bit tighter...front end did not drop down...Then we changed the angle of the inlet for the bottom metal. I never tried to pull a mag apart and see if the spring was soft or it the follower was worn....
I have seen it happen to chassis stocks and inlet stocks with BM. With the chassis we added the velcro..

Good Luck