• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AE .308

Wardog 15

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2010
WI USA
I am new to this forum and looking for some insight or suggestions. I am looking at acquiring a AI AE 308 with a 24"barrel and a fixed stock.

As far as bipod selection what would be recommended Atlas, Harris, AI ?

I am looking to spend between 1K to 1500 on optics any recommendations?

Lastly scope mount I like the AI because it is one piece. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the input in advance

Re: AI AE .308

Looks like a good start, you might consider buying an AIAE and spending a little more on the glass instead.

Spending 5x more on the rifle than you do on glass might be questionable. (I've done it)

Then there is dies, brass,bullets, reloading equipment,rangefinder,shooting mat,training,more ammo, chronograph, more ammo...
Welcome to the Hide

Definitely the AI one piece mount with the required cant.

I run both the AI bipod on my AW and also, more recently the Atlas. Both are great - unless you go with the Friction Lock add-on to the AI (is that available in the US?), then the Atlas will give you more control over the rigidity of the bipod (if that is your preference)and is certainly lighter.

Don't under-spend on the glass, to me it is a false economy. Go fo rthe best scope you can afford that will do the rifle justice....I'd be looking first at S&B, Premier, USO, Nightforce.

Nightforce is my personal preference, but everyone has their particular favorite when it comes to quality glass. Your price range is very close to enough for a NF, and I'd strongly suggest looking at them. Buying cheap is something most people wind up regretting, but it all depends on your budget and your immediate goals.

Dropping $3,000 on an optic if you're going to be shooting nothing but steel-cased Wolf through your rifle is probably money mis-spent. Some might disagree, but I wouldn't consider a Nightforce to be under-spending.

We stock the Atlas, Harris, and AI bipods, and all of them work - again it just depends on your preference. For me the factory bipod just doesn't feel right, for a variety of reasons, but they <span style="font-style: italic">are</span> definitely built right. Harris is always the inexpensive option - and if you're only going to be shooting from the bench, you can save even more by going for a standard BRM fixed model. The Atlas is a good compromise between the two in price, and at the same time gives you even more features.

I went AE
with a Nightforce mil mil zero stop 5.5-22x56
Harris bipod.

Great intel guys Thanks. Doc1911 I have talked with Diane at Mile high she was a great resource. Just for the record I wouldn't shoot wolf rounds through this rifle.

Get a 3.5-15x NF. You can mount it on the Pic rail without an angled base and have enough elevation to get a .308 to 1000. Get a Harris, with a pod lock, and spend more money later if you think it's necessary.

A 20" will get you to 1K yds with 175's no problem. IMO shorter barrels balance better and are much easier to manuver.

Atlas bipod on an AI adapter end discussion.

I have used both AI unimount and rings on a Pic rail. I prefer the rings on a rail option as it allows more choice in ring size and ring brand. I replaced the factory 0 moa mount with a 20 moa mount from US Optics.

Go ahead and shoot wolf ammo...its an AI it will be ok (seriously).

They dont shoot for shit so know that ahead of time. This was a string I shot with about 300 rounds between cleaning.
DSC00261.jpg

Forgot to mention glass. For that budget I would say a Nightforce or a USO ST-10. Variable is nice but I would rather have outstanding glass vs more features. Not dogging Nightforce and I'm running an F1 now and I'm very pleased with it. However between a SFP NF and a 10X USO its a harder call to make and both should be considered.

Anchor,

I'm using a 20 inch AI barrel 45gr varget, 175 smk, cci br2 primers and I am getting 2710fps in 30 degree temps.

I just purchased an AE Mark I and do not reload ammo. What would be a good round to purchase for long distance shooting? I have read the various posts but I'm interested in knowing what fellow .308 AI owners are using as far as factory ammo. Is there someone who has a customized reload that I should look into using?

Thanks,

The gold standard for factory .308 ammo is Federal Gold Medal Match II, with a Sierra 175 SMK.

Also very good is Corbon 175 Match. They also make a load with a 155 Lapua Scenar in it, but I've not tried any of that.

Black Hills 175 Match is accurate, but slow.

i'm a big fan of my ior sniper hide edition scope and from scott it was 1529 however all the big dogs tend to use nightforce or s&b

Thanks for the ammo gouge. I'm really looking forward to using this rifle. I'm actually leaning toward using a Konus scope at first. I will be shooting up to 1000yds but that will be a rarity.

Well, it needn't be. That AE delivers.

Here's a group shot on steel at 900 yards without spotters using Corbon 175 Match. And, for that matter, without a defined aiming point, holding for the wind.

image001.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The gold standard for factory .308 ammo is Federal Gold Medal Match II, with a Sierra 175 SMK.

Also very good is Corbon 175 Match. They also make a load with a 155 Lapua Scenar in it, but I've not tried any of that.

Black Hills 175 Match is accurate, but slow.

</div></div>

Don't leave out Southwest 175 SMK. For me it is just as good as the above.