• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AE Issues

FUBAR

Private
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2005
Gainesville, Florida
Guys, my team is having issues with two of our AI AE rifles. Appearantly we have two of the first one hundred produced. Anyways, both rifles have consistant cold bore issues; shooting low and to the left. After the cold bore, the rifle is fine. Any ideas? We've tried everything, including cleaning it differently with negative results. Anyone heard of this or have the same issues with these rifles? This is driving us crazy.

Re: AI AE Issues

First,
i would try shooting them in a mechanical rest to eliminate any shooter error. Or shoot another rifle a few times and then switch to the AE to possibly eliminate cold shooter.
If, problems persist...

Second, call Accuracy Int'l North America

So:

1.) How many rounds through the barrels?
2.) Has anyone done any work on the barrels?
3.) Have the barrels ever been removed by anyone?

^^Actually really good advice, my custom ALWAYS has a couple stray shots on a clean, cold bore, but it always shoots great on a fouled, cold bore.

Check that the action screws are tightened to the correct torque & that the recoil lug is located fully rearward in the chassis recoil pocket.
How many rounds have the barrels fired?

If you are talking about a cold/clean bore, then that is your problem. I always recommend putting the rifle up after a couple fouler/zero confirmation shots. That way when you deploy on scene you have no doubt the rifle is dead on.

If you are talking about a cold/fouled bore deviation, then first confirm it's not a shooter issue. This can be ruled out by having that shooter "warm up" on another rifle. Then shoot the suspected rifle and see where the cold and followup shots impact.

If you are having a real deviation, I suggest contacting AINA. I will almost guarantee they will ask you to send the rifle back to them with a sample of your duty ammo.

Dont know about the AE series, but I have 4 AIAWs (well 3 AW + an AX), but they are all dead on whether cold bore, hot bore, clean or foul bores. Like other have mentioned, I would try to eliminate the shooter factor out of the equation (no offense intended), but if it persisted, I would send them to AI and have them look at it. God luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont know about the AE series, but I have 4 AIAWs (well 3 AW + an AX), but they are all dead on whether cold bore, hot bore, clean or foul bores</div></div>

In this case it makes a world of difference. Your AW and AX are bonded to the chassis. The AE is not.

Call AINA and send them the guns back my AI AE MKII had the same problem and they replaced the barrel. Thats one of the benefit of buying an AI is the factory support

How many rounds are on the barrels?

How far off are the first round or two from the rest?

Does it do it with a cold barrel that has been fouled/not cleaned?

Also as mentioned before that with a clean barrel your first round or two might not print with the rest.

One reason is with a clean barrel the first round down it is usually slower than the rest that come after it. At short range say 100-200 yards you might not see a big difference in the grouping etc...but at long range and your first round is say 30-50fps. slower than the rest the it could mean a difference between the 9 ring and the x ring on the target.

As an example my 6x47 Laupa I don't really see it showing on a 100 yard target but at a 1000 yards my windage is right down the middle but the first round will be at the bottom edge of the 10 ring to the top edge of the 9 ring at the 6 o'clock position. Then the rest of the rounds will print right in the x ring if I do my part. My first round on the chronograph with a clean barrel is about 30fps slower than the rest. This is kinda normal in my opinion.

You should talk to AI. If there is something really wrong with it they'll stand behind it.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

First, if you are cleaning them, stop. A clean bore will take a few rounds to settle down.

Second, I am not a big believer in cold bore deviation. 9 times out of 10 it is the shooter, not the gun...but, my AE MKII does it. Some rifles do and there are a fair amount of AEs that do. It has been theorized that it has something to do with the design of the action screw interface in the recoil lug. It has also done this with four different barrels in various calibers. All of them had a slightly different deviation, but all had it. None over 3/4 MOA.

The solution? Know your rifle. There is a deviation in my cold bore shot, but it is extremely precise and predictable. Learn it and know it.

Good luck with it.