• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AE Mk III Questions (Skins, Chasis & Barrel)

tinycrumb

Will work for cheetos
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2014
Utah
tinycrumb.com
Hello everyone, have some questions that I'm hoping y'all can help me with.

I just picked up a new, old stock AI AE Mk III in 308. Pretty excited to find one in unfired condition. It came with the factory FDE thumbhole skins and a 24" unthreaded barrel.

I sent the rifle off to Mile High yesterday to get the barrel chopped down to 20" and threaded so I can run my can on it. I have a bunch of factory match .308 sitting around so right now the plan is to shoot through all of that this winter and then possibly change the barrel out for a 6.5 or .260 for the summer. I'm a bit confused on some things though and hoping you guys have the answers:

1. I've seen 8541's video on changing the barrel on the Mk II using just a barrel vice and the Adam's action wrench. Looked simple enough. However, when I called Mile High, they informed me that because the AE is a rifle and not a Chasis, it's bonded and I can't do this myself. I thought I had done my research and only the AW was bonded and the AE was serviceable just like in John's video? Guess I'm really confused by this … is the Mk III bonded and the Mk II not?

2. I wanted to pick up a second set of full skins, possibly in Green to a) have a spare set and keep the originals nice and b) be able to change the color when I'm feeling like it (I can hear you laughing from here). But I am so confused on the skins and what version mine have. I understand that they're not made anymore so my only hope will be finding someone on here who is running aftermarket ones and willing to sell their originals, but I figured it's worth a shot. But I don't even know what to ask for in the ad. As far as I can tell, the Mk II has the full-body skins that roughly look like the old AICS stocks. The Mk II (my rifle) has the updated skins that look more like the AT. It's got the 2-piece setup where the front half is different than the rear half and you could buy the pistol grip or thumbhole version at one time. But I assume AT skins don't fit the AE Mk III? Mine also has the HK sling hooks instead of the flush cups like the AT. So… if I was to create a WTB ad for a set of full green thumbhole skins, front and back, what exactly do I ask for? Is there a model number? Common name that this stock goes by?

Thank you!

Regarding your first question, what they told you Is not true. As you saw in 8541’s video, it’s that simple. Whoever you spoke to must have misheard you. Even the ladies in the office know the answer to that question. Your gun will accept any small thread barrel as well (m27 thread, AW and early AX)

Regarding the skins, your gun will take any AE/AW versions. Fixed or folder is your only concern, And if you find fixed versions and yours in the folder, you can easily alter the fixed to fit the folder. So mile high didn’t have a AE skinsin stock?

And yeah, laughin about you playing musical skins to suit your mood. How about you take it out into the wilderness and make it dirt colored! LOL. Pink and covered in dirt will always be cooler than pristine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pippinm7
What you read is correct about changing barrels. Whoever you spoke with at Mile High either didn't know what they were talking about or they mislead you unless you didn't explain what you were wanting to do correctly.

With the AE series you should remove the barreled action from the chassis by removing the 2 action screws so that you can more easily mess with the recoil lug since it is just pinned to the action while the AW series is bonded and you don't do this since the recoil lug is also machined into the action.

I would be cautious about ordering from Adam's Custom Rifles though (I have one of his wrenches) as the last time I sent someone to him to purchase a wrench it was a nightmare for that guy and I felt horrible.

I would only by from OTM Tactical (http://shop.otmtactical.com/Accuracy-International-Bager-Action-Wrench_p_289.html) when they actually have them in stock.

The Brownell's bench vise is an excellent option and it is very, very stout (https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...ories/barrel-vises/barrel-vise-prod41623.aspx)

Yes you can change your barrel with an action wrench and barrel vice. Not sure who you talked with at MH but they are incorrect. As far as skins, your rifle will take any AICS skins and I believe AW skins as well. You may also want to look at the victor company Viper Skins. I personally do not like the thumbhole stock and prefer the victor company skins. (Looks like an AT)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bolt handle cutouts are different. Basically anything from his era would fit except the old AICS skins.

Haven’t fondled an AT for more than a few moments, so I have nothing to add there.

AW (2009
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com\/20171212\/0bc3fa539ccb940343504c7debe9662c.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Newer skins for the AW (pistol grip)
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com\/20171212\/dc66251a41f98d96a842f2d20dcb961c.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Old AICS
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com\/20171212\/a20dd2d01cbc9dda7c3438261fadaab9.jpg"}[/IMG2]

New AICS (GA tempest action)
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com\/20171212\/d473951b41e499ec7dcd91935ec371b9.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Mark 2. I took a barrel off and put a 260 Remington on in about 10 minutes. I used the Viper barrel vise and was extremely pleased. I also have the OTM wrench and would not look back. I love the fact that I can change out the barrel and not need to send it to a gun smith.

Hi yall
Sincere apologies for resurrecting a long dead thread but couldnt find an exact answer(with certainty) to my question.

Does anyone know what brand barrels were used on the AI AE series rifles?
And for that matter- the older AW series as well?

Ive read some say they were Border cut rifled SS barrels from UK. Others said they're German Lothar Walther CHF and/or Lothar Walther button rifled chrome moly barrels..?? Also heard speculation that they may have used Aussie Maddco button rifled blanks?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!
Thanks gentlemen and my apologies again for the necromancy!

Neither MK2 or MK3 is bonded to the chassis. I have changed barrels on both just like AW. Same barrel wrench/vise. No issue.

The several factory AE barrels I came through (308/6.5CM) were all British barrels. All were 0.5 MOA with little effort,

Last edited:
Reactions: Forgetful Coyote