• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes AI AE MkIII w/ S&B question...

abogue77

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2013
Tyler, Texas
For the guys running AE's with S&B's, I'm about to order my AE Mk III w/ a Schmidt & Bender. My question is, for a .308 shooting under 1000m, are most of y'all running 3-12x's, 4-16x's or 3-20x's?

Do you like the height of the stock AI optics mount or other?

And... With all the rumors of fake S&B's around, who are the most reputable dealers?

I've been searching and reading the forums for a while and all I see is "this gun vs that gun" so I'd like to narrow this thread down to the guys actually using these. Looking for your opinion about what you like or don't like about this set up.

Thanks.

Ifcusing aw dovetail or ax i use ai mounts exclusivly. If its a legacy style rifle with a pic rail ill just use badger 1.0 rings. I would choose a 5-25 S&B. What are these fake scopes?

There are numerous Internet warnings about people selling fake scopes. I don't know the details, even if its true, or how close of a copy they are, just everyone saying only buy from a dealer that gets them straight from S&B(or their American importer). Just trying to be carefull, imagine dropping 3-4k on a fake.

I have an AIAE MKIII, I put a S&B 5-25X56 on it and I really like it. The AI mounts are really nice and built very well but I chose a SPUHR mount instead. Keep in mind if you do that you will likely want to replace the pic rail with one that is continuous.

What about CW or CCW turrets, is it purely just a personal preference? Do y'all like the MTC feature or the locking turret?

Has anyone ever had warranty or repair work on your S&B, what was your experience?

I'm a buy once, cry once kind of person. I want to get this right the first time. The only thing I'm certain on is the gun it's going to sit on, and the MSR reticle (which I guess narrows the power range down to 3-20 or 5-25).

Last edited:
I had work done on an S&B...it was the S&B that did ride my AI AE MK III for a while---5-25x56. Turn around for warranty was fast and excellent. Jerry R is great! The scope now lives on my AX.

I'm not running an AI AE MkIII but I am running a Surgeon action built by GAP on an AICS, which for all intents and purposes is the same as your AI AE and I run an S&B 5-25.

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably go 3-20. I rarely find myself using more than 15-20x and am usually around 10-15x.

Some folks don't like MTC, but I love it!

As for the locking turrets, own them, never used them, but don't mind having them.

I got a CW scope because it was the 5-25 that I wanted and honestly I kinda wish it was CCW but I'd not have wanted to wait for it. Now I'm so used to CW that whenever I get something it needs to be CW so I'm pretty much limited to S&B. I'd get a Vortex but they don't give any sort of option to do CW turrets (I called and asked) so now I'm locked in with S&B. Always makes for good glass but its hard on the pocket at times. ;) No sense in trying to change or learn anything new now.

~Brett

Thanks for all your input guys, It's bad enough when you narrow down the brand and then there is a million more options to pick from.

I love the AE, I have a MK I and a MK II and they both exceed my expectations. One has a Zeiss Victory Diavari and the other has a S&B both in AI 18 moa mounts. I would recommend the 5-25 S&B without MTC and without locking turrets.

I run an AW with a 4-16 S&B. at least on my AW there is no need to raise the check pice. As far as CCW vs CW. I would buy the CCW because it will sell easier if you ever decide to sell. I have a CW because it was an AI marked S&B and I run a henny on my my other AW 338. I am use to using the CW

I purchased my Schmidt and Bender PMII 5-25x56 from EURO OPTIC. The guys there were amazing. I had a problem with the locking turrets, in that the locking turrets are so new, the instruction manual from S&B did not address correctly. I spoke with the sales people when my rifle was finally built and they stepped me through the process. I would highly recommend them.

As for CW vs. CCW, it is preference. I went with CCW since it is intuitive like a screw. If I want the screw head to go UP (shift bullet impact up) I screw OUT and if I want bullet impact to go DOWN, I screw IN.

I love the turrets on the S&B. The locking turrets are good and the more tactile clicks is a nice feature. I have not used the scope enough to form a solid opinion. Only until I have competed with the scope a little will I get something firm.

I LOVE THE MSR RETICLE!!! It is so easy to use.

Here is a picture of my setup:

IMG_3214.jpg

hi guys, how would you know if the turrets are in cw or ccw?
By the way the numbers progress on the turret.

Rich
doro223 -

As SSG3K said, you can determine whether a scope is "CW" or "CCW" by looking at the numbers on the turret. If the numbers increase as you turn the turrets CW, the scope has CW turrets. If the numbers increase as you turn the turrets CCW, the scope has CCW turrets. In the United States the default for turret rotation direction is CCW. In Europe, the default is CW. That said, if you want a Schmidt Bender try to buy the scope in the configuration you want, as reticle and turret conversions are expensive (reticle prices can vary, but Turret Conversion has been $550.00 (for both Elevation and Windage) for a couple of years now.

For visual examples below are photos of "standard" (window-type) CCW DT and CCW DT MTC Elevation Turrets on PMII 5-25X[56] scopes. Note how the numbers progress as the turrets are rotated CCW.

CCW "standard" (window-type) DT Elevation Turret on a PMII 5-25X[56]:

CCW DT MTC Elevation Turret on a PMII 5-25X[56]:

Keith