• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AT .308 or M40A5 clone which one to buy??

TheChad-->

Veteran Shooter
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2012
Texas
I am torn between rifles here! I know the reputation of both manufacturers is well respected, and both are quality rifles! I would have the M40A5 built by Mark at SAC if I went that route and he makes tack driver rifles! But the AI platform has proven itself accurate and rugged as well. The AT is a new model that hasnt been put through its paces yet but I'm sure AI hasnt cut any corners on this project. I like the pistol grip chassis and the quick-lock barrels, as I'd probably purchase a few S/A calibers to go with the rifle. But....The M40 is proven! Damn.... Plz help me out, preferably guys who might have used both and know first hand some advantages I might be overlooking.

If you want a rifle that will shoot multiple calibers go with the AI, if not go with the m40a5. Accuracy and quality will be outstanding with either rifle. No corners were cut on the AT.

With EO's Military discount on the AT they are gonna pretty much be the same price, so thats not really an issue. Im going to put a USO ER-25 H59 ret with a spuhr 1.18" unimount on whichever one I decide on.

Correct, the AT isnt really an entirely new rifle, just an AW with a QC barrel and a pistol grip chassis. I'm sure its just as reliable as the AW. Maybe my question should be American design or English design??

Go with which one you moves your pants, both are quality rifles. It sounds like you are leaning toward the AI...can't go wrong there....

Had an m40a1 that was outstanding. Wanted versatillity and got the AT ,now I get a stiffy every time I touch it,,,,,,,the rifle I mean.

I personally probably won't ever own another custom rifle unless it's a lightweight build. Which the AI surely isn't...neither is a A5 so I would personally go the AI route.

If you go the A5 route, I think you'd be doing it a disservice by putting anything other than an S&B 3-12 on it. I vote for the AT, it's a great platform.

Roddd you are right! If I get a service rifle clone built, I should put the glass on it to make it as legit as possible without being used in combat! But I just love the USO glass and the H59 ret is outstandingly quick for hold offs. Well... Thanks for the input guys! I'll be getting an AT once I get back stateside I do believe! now the question is which additional barrels will I get??! probably go for a .243

A custom rem has nothing on the AI as far and reliability and features. The are no corners cut on the AT either, AI didn't dream it up overnight and introduce it at SHOT show the next day. It was in T&E for quite a while just like any new products from reputable companies.

Go with the AI, no contest.

Having had both (actually a GAP M40A5 spec build) IMO it would not even be a question, AI wins every time. I could explain my answer but IMO the AW/AT is better in every way except not being American made...

I have an AIAE MKII and an AIAT, I no longer have any Remington 700 customs they just don't compare IMO (admittedly none of my 700 customs were M40 clones or built by GAP or SAC)

Neither are going to be a light rifle but you won't be disappointed with and Accuracy International. I'm not American though so being made in the USA isn't a factor for me

I say good choice going for the AI. Spec builds are for those wanting the original and are willing to be limited by those specs. I have two spec builds, an M40A1 and a MK12 Mod 1, along with an M40A5 that should be done around the beginning of next year. My primary purpose for having them is for old HOG linkups and we want to shoot our old rifles. They're not the best - there's faster calibers, lighter barrels, stronger and more accurate receivers, better stocks and much better scopes. Proven? Yes, but if you think they go through combat conditions without failure you are sadly mistaken. They break... A lot.

I also have a GAP Templar .260 in a Rock Solid chassis that's for comps and serious shooting. Lighter, stronger, faster than the M40A5. In air winger terms for you, F-4 Phantoms are bad ass and proven, but we both know the F/A-18 will wax its ass every time.

With the AT you are essentially getting an AW with barrel change capability. I started stocking AI rifles a few months ago. These rifles are incredibly built. Everything is on them for a purpose and you can telly by looking them over that the designers of these rifles are shooters. Between the rifles you are looking at I would to AI all the way. As of right now, I only own one last 700 and I think I will get rid of it shortly to make room for an AI.

Great Info here! I sure appreciate the input, it seems that an AI really is the way to go. I want to order one around December timeframe. Are they pretty much always in stock at Euro Optic and other stocking dealers?

Great Info here! I sure appreciate the input, it seems that an AI really is the way to go. I want to order one around December timeframe. Are they pretty much always in stock at Euro Optic and other stocking dealers?
I ordered both my AIs from Mile High shooting and they did a great job getting the caliber and length barrels I wanted as well as installing muzzle breaks and after market lower scope rail on the AI AT. They will also sell you the best one piece Spuhr scope mount to match whatever scope you plan to use it on. EuroOptics, RWM and Orkan all provide great customer service and important information and great reviews on the products they sell. We are fortunate to have such dedicated vendors!!!

I have found that my 2 AIs are the best build quality of any rifles. Their butter smooth actions and 2 stage triggers make shooting a pleasure. I have both the AI AXMC 308 and Mile High is putting together my AI AT now. You cannot beat the multicaliber design. Barrel changes in less than 2 minutes. One scope for multiple caliber=money saved! Heavy but very stable well balanced platform with all calibers easily 1/2 MOA! While custom rifles are nice, they are certainly not as versatile and sell for more than the new AI offerings. Resale not an issue with AI products, except for the used pre 2014 AWs that are priced higher than the the new AI ATs.

I guarrantee you will be very impressed once you get behind one of these 16 lb babies with scope!

I ordered my AT through RMW. I highly recommend him. Price and service were excellent. My rifle arrives Tuesday.

Im looking at getting the AT folder for $3930 with military discount. I'd like to put down a deposit and make a few payments within a few months. I wont be back stateside till Febr. So I dont want it sitting in a gun shop too terribly long. Is there any company willing to do that? also will purchase a Spuhr uni-mount and the lower action rail.

Call/email the guys at MHS. I'm sure they will work with you and I bet it will be a few months before the rifke actually arrives. I gave them the $1k deposit back in Feb, sent a few checks along the way and squared up the balance for the AT/PMII in August when it arrived.

The rifle is amazing and built like a tank. Throw in 2min caliber changes for around $800 and how can you go wrong.

As always, thank you for your service, as we all know Obama doesn't give a shit, unless he can wangle a photo op out of it between golf games and fund raisers!

I'm overseas most of the year myself. I've never dealt with a vendor on here that wasn't willing to hold onto a firearm a bit longer so it doesn't get finger banged in the LGS more than typical. Even GAP held on to my rifle for an additional month and a half, and when they post pics of their safe room it's packed to the brim.

I'm overseas most of the year myself. I've never dealt with a vendor on here that wasn't willing to hold onto a firearm a bit longer so it doesn't get finger banged in the LGS more than typical. Even GAP held on to my rifle for an additional month and a half, and when they post pics of their safe room it's packed to the brim.

Mile high is currently holding a couple rifles I bought until I get back in Dec/January. Great company to deal with.

I own both. I have a GAP M40A5 with the correct S&B 3-12x50, and I have an AIAW in 7.62 with another S&B 5-25x56. They are both very accurate, both heavy , and both very smooth. I don't understand the people in the thread saying stuff like one is clearly better. That is just their bias. Both of mine launch the same projectiles the same distance, and close to the same speed. Both are very accurate, and hit their targets the same. It really comes down to the fact that the AT is more versatile with caliber change. The A5 is just a badass IMO. It's one of my favorites. Jmo.

I will say the AIAW action is really really smooth, but again I am just not seeing how one is leaps and bounds better.