• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AT & AX Owners Barrel Replacement Question?

Steel+Killer

Killing one steel plate at a time!
Minuteman
  • May 27, 2014
    32.75259713494653, -79.87485679548313
    So I just picked up from the PX a slightly used AI AX Short action 308, and I want to order a 6.5CM barrel for it. I looked on Euro Optics website and they have basically three different choices AT/AX, AT/AX 2018 profile, and AT/AX BARTLEIN barrels. Are they all compatible? Is there any special tools I need to switch the barrels out? Please point me in the right direction.
    Thanks!

Without links best answer I can give is yes...

AT/AX I would assume pre 2018 contour (slimmer).

AT/AX 2018 slightly thicker

AT/AX BARTLEIN made barrels for AT/AX

Just make sure you're not ordering barrels designed for the axmc. Like I said without links I can't answer with hundred percent certainty, call Jason @ EO.

Without links best answer I can give is yes...

AT/AX I would assume pre 2018 contour (slimmer).

AT/AX 2018 slightly thicker

AT/AX BARTLEIN made barrels for AT/AX

Just make sure you're not ordering barrels designed for the axmc. Like I said without links I can't answer with hundred percent certainty, call Jason @ EO.

Exactly right. As long as they’re not for the AXMC you’re fine. Also, make sure the muzzle is not metric threads unless that’s what you’re looking for. I came real close to making that mistake

Thanks for the quick responses. Also provided the link to EOs website. I figured as long as they were not for the MC I would be good to go. My game plan is to shoot mostly prone out to 800 yards occasionally 1000 and beyond. I’m thinking 26 inch barrel with the 2018 thicker profile. , But if I ever enter a PRS match I should probably get the shorter barrel with the lighter profile....Thoughts?

The 26” heavier profile might balance better.

I really like the new 2018 profiles, I have a 26” 6BR w/ it and I prefer it over my 24” 6.5CM old profile

After checking the added link my answer stays the same. You will notice only 3 listed under "BARTLEIN" (after selecting short action), all 308.

I Don't compete in PRS, but they like them long and heavy.

Pretty sure all Win Tac barrels, Mile High and EuroOptic, are Bartlein. Not sure why the separate out the random three .308 bbls

Can someone describe the difference between pre-2018 and 2018 barrel profile?

OP - you don't need anything special for tools. A 4mm hex wrench. To do it better, a torque driver with a 4mm hex tip.

Does anyone happen to know what the OD of a 26" 2018 AT/AX Profile barrel is at the muzzle?

So I just picked up from the PX a slightly used AI AX Short action 308, and I want to order a 6.5CM barrel for it. I looked on Euro Optics website and they have basically three different choices AT/AX, AT/AX 2018 profile, and AT/AX BARTLEIN barrels. Are they all compatible? Is there any special tools I need to switch the barrels out? Please point me in the right direction.

What year is your AX? If the first 2 numbers of the serial # aren't 14 or higher, or it doesn't have a socket-head cap screw about 3/4" back from the front of the receiver, below the receiver-to-chassis line, it doesn't have the Quickloc interchangeable barrel. If that is the case, you will need a barrel vise and the AI action wrench.

What year is your AX? If the first 2 numbers of the serial # aren't 14 or higher, or it doesn't have a socket-head cap screw about 3/4" back from the front of the receiver, below the receiver-to-chassis line, it doesn't have the Quickloc interchangeable barrel. If that is the case, you will need a barrel vise and the AI action wrench.
    Thanks for the response it is the newer one with the quickloc I have already changed the barrel to 6.5CM and this rifle is everything I though it would be. I never thought I would put that kind of coin into a rifle, but it was a itch I just had to scratch I don't regret it.

Thanks for the response it is the newer one with the quickloc I have already changed the barrel to 6.5CM and this rifle is everything I though it would be. I never thought I would put that kind of coin into a rifle, but it was a itch I just had to scratch I don't regret it.
    Congratulations on the stick! Usually can’t stop at 1!

Reactions: Steel+Killer