• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AT or wait for AT-X

TheBigCountry

Green Weenie
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2013
    Hello AI Snobs,

If I want an AI, should I go for an AT with the folder and 20” 308, or wait for the new Gen2, or is it 3, ATX to become available and hope I can get it in 308?

I am in your situation right now, and I have pre-ordered the AI AT-X.

I’d wait if I was you. You get more rifle with the ATX.
    Supposedly if you call MHS they will work with you and put a 308win barrel on your pre-order but I have not confirmed that. So it might be worth calling them and ask to pre-order the ATX with a 308win barrel instead of the 6.5cm barrel.

Could always pick up a used AT and resell when the AT-X shows up

Pending financial means of course

I love my AT but haven’t used the AT-X

I agree with the people telling you to pick up the AT and then resell towards the AT-X. (Mostly because I want to buy your used AT later down the road, but...
    1-man-curtain.gif
    )

I own two AW's and an AT. I'd consider adding an AT-X if I hadn't just bought a new truck.
    Plus, I'm old enough and have a short enough attention span That I just don't want to wait on a AT-X.

Reactions: Surly
    @Huskydriver thanks for the tag my guy, AO chassis or bust. The ATX is nice and cool but lacks so many standard features that the AT folder or AX (post 14) have that you’re better off buying a used AT or AX and doing this:

View attachment 7808071View attachment 7808072
    I revise my previous statement. This is probably a good route if you can get the base components at a reasonable price to come ahead of an AT-X with the $400 + upgrades you’d have to buy to make it a full featured chassis. Huge let down by AI.

Buy a folding AT used for 3600 bucks or less because at. Full AO chassis as pictured, color matched and installed at GCP for approx 1400. And 450 for a comp trigger. And you don't have to wait 6 years for an ATX or the other accessories that have yet to be released.

Had AT-X and sold it. It’s nice, but sure as shit not worth the wait, headache, or cost for accessories, etc.

If I were to go down that road again it would be an AT with the AO chassis and post 14 AX stock. I don’t think you’re going to beat that combination in terms of functionality.

Or just get an AT that does this.
    I know it's only five rounds and includes cold bore.
    Shot twenty rounds of a different load and came back to the first one. Maybe I "didn't do my part?"

Attachments

• 8FC606F8-F449-4C84-8DB8-247AD2AA68D4.jpeg
      8FC606F8-F449-4C84-8DB8-247AD2AA68D4.jpeg
      247.6 KB · Views: 108
    • 980E0BA9-A8D8-4D5D-BE36-5A850E8BC46D_1_201_a.jpeg
      980E0BA9-A8D8-4D5D-BE36-5A850E8BC46D_1_201_a.jpeg
      291.9 KB · Views: 109
    Last edited:
    Reactions: yej0001
    If a guy is gonna go AT with plans to swap out the AT butt stock to the AX stock then I’d definitely consider a fixed stock AT if the savings are there. You’d have to debond the hinge anyway on a folder for the swap so if you could get a fixed stock version for cheaper then why not.

Reactions: Snaz
    As someone who has been through an AT (2018), AX (2019) and AT-X (2022) I would recommend getting what you really want and not compromising, because eventually you will move into what you really want.

I have no experience with the AO, but as someone who considered upgrading their AX to an AO the price came out as a wash compared to purchasing and upgrading the AT-X with the necessary accessories. I will say the AT-X is less desirable at $5,250 since the rate increase.

The thumb screw / set screw drama with the AT-X is a moot point for me. I prefer the set screws. Over the years I had the LOP thumb wheels work themselves loose a couple times on my AX.

As someone who has been through an AT (2018), AX (2019) and AT-X (2022) I would recommend getting what you really want and not compromising, because eventually you will move into what you really want.

I have no experience with the AO, but as someone who considered upgrading their AX to an AO the price came out as a wash compared to purchasing and upgrading the AT-X with the necessary accessories. I will say the AT-X is less desirable at $5,250 since the rate increase.

The thumb screw / set screw drama with the AT-X is a moot point for me. I prefer the set screws. Over the years I had the LOP thumb wheels work themselves loose a couple times on my AX.
    It should be a moot point regardless if/when the folding hinge ever comes available. It’s always entertaining to see how many people get worked up about about “quick adjust knobs” when in reality they adjust their shit MAYBE 1-2 times a year.

Folders are all you need for cleaning and bore sighting. Outside of that, they could be torqued on with an impact gun for all I care.

Agree on all points here though re: AT v. AT-X v. AX.

It should be a moot point regardless if/when the folding hinge ever comes available. It’s always entertaining to see how many people get worked up about about “quick adjust knobs” when in reality they adjust their shit MAYBE 1-2 times a year.

Folders are all you need for cleaning and bore sighting. Outside of that, they could be torqued on with an impact gun for all I care.

Agree on all points here though re: AT v. AT-X v. AX.
    Yup, 100% agree. I am #3 in line for the Hinge at MHSA and apparently they have about 250 on order.

I only removed the cheek rest and attempted to clean during barrel break in and it was absolute havoc on my hands. In the future I would just remove the 5mm hex screws and pull the entire stock.

Last edited:
    If you're only going to go AI-AT or AT-X, I'd say (like others have mentioned) it really depends on your plans for shooting. The AT-X is geared towards competitions, and is a very nice setup for that. But if you're just belly shooting or off a bench, the AI-AT will do an equally good job.

(Yes, I have both.)

Reactions: shoot4fun
    Oh, isn’t the guy who does the Obsession on here? Can someone tag him or drop me his name?

Oh, isn’t the guy who does the Obsession on here? Can someone tag him or drop me his name?
    Feel free to shoot me a PM or post here with any questions.

Here's the original chassis thread https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/aftermarket-ai-obsession-chassis-group-buy.6984036/

Here's a link to the GCP website where they're currently sold https://gcprifleco.com/product/ao-vision-chassis-sa/?v=1d20b5ff1ee9

I appreciate all the kind words everyone, I've done my best kept out of the AO vs ATX discussions, I'll let people decide what they like as there's a lot to consider (performance, looks, availability, customer support, etc).

Cheers,

Sam

Had AT-X and sold it. It’s nice, but sure as shit not worth the wait, headache, or cost for accessories, etc.

If I were to go down that road again it would be an AT with the AO chassis and post 14 AX stock. I don’t think you’re going to beat that combination in terms of functionality.
    What do you shoot now? Just curious.

Get the AT now. If you don't like it there is AO. Or you can get the ATX chassis for AI that should be out by 2028. This way you won't be wasting any time not shooting an AI.

• Haha
    Reactions: TheOE800 and JB.IC
    He said by 2028 🤣 don’t be giving him false hope with that unrealistic date. 2030 is more conservative

• Haha
    Reactions: LA260 and TheOE800
    Just grabbed an AT folder for a great price in great shape from the PX. AO chassis from GCP should be here shortly and I’ll swap it out. Went with the NV rail and pistol grip panels. Not necessary but cool.

Depending on your color choice, the AX Buttstock may or may not be available from Mile High or Eurooptics. MH has Black and Pale Brown in stock. Eurooptics has black. Get on the notify list for Sage Green or buy one of the others and have it cerekoted to match.

Can’t go wrong with this option. My 2 cents.

Reactions: samb300
    Just be aware the AI pistol grip is controversial subject.

• Haha
    Reactions: 96C
    I'll meet you half way, say, Rawlings, Wy? 😡

I got locked out of my car in Rawlins at the McDonald's after they shut 80 down west bound.....longest night of my life sleeping in the play place waiting for a lock smith to come from Laramie.....I never stop in Rawlins any more lol

Reactions: MarinePMI
    The 3 individuals responsible for making the AO chassis a thing are good friends of mine now. Whether the chassis is better than another or not, they are absolutely lovely to deal with. They just so happen to have the best option for an AI shooter and not just that, to me it is amazing compared to R700 aftermarket chassis. Yall just wait and see whats coming out of AO/Vision in the near future. If u were to get an AI and went the AO/Vision route and you DIDNT like the rifle, then you just won't like an AI in any shape or form. You would just need a different rifle. I have spoken to, in some form or fashion, to a large portion of people that have their AIs in a AO chassis and NONE of them regret it or don't like it. 0.

Do what u want but if u are getting an AI in general, u could have a match ready rifle in a matter of a couple weeks as opposed to months. Even then, you would have to decide which do u like better? I feel safe saying that if u built and AO AI and for some odd reason didn't like it, u could get your money back quickly b/c a ready to "shoot matches" AI is super hard to pass up if you're wanting an AI in general.

Just
    Fuckin
    Send It.

The 3 individuals responsible for making the AO chassis a thing are good friends of mine now. Whether the chassis is better than another or not, they are absolutely lovely to deal with. They just so happen to have the best option for an AI shooter and not just that, to me it is amazing compared to R700 aftermarket chassis. Yall just wait and see whats coming out of AO/Vision in the near future. If u were to get an AI and went the AO/Vision route and you DIDNT like the rifle, then you just won't like an AI in any shape or form. You would just need a different rifle. I have spoken to, in some form or fashion, to a large portion of people that have their AIs in a AO chassis and NONE of them regret it or don't like it. 0.

Do what u want but if u are getting an AI in general, u could have a match ready rifle in a matter of a couple weeks as opposed to months. Even then, you would have to decide which do u like better? I feel safe saying that if u built and AO AI and for some odd reason didn't like it, u could get your money back quickly b/c a ready to "shoot matches" AI is super hard to pass up if you're wanting an AI in general.

Just
    Fuckin
    Send It.
    Honesty, I was about to go all in on an AXSR. Hit up a couple of you “dedicated connoisseurs” with some questions since it’s my first AI. Also hit up @samb300 with product questions. Aside from the awesome product, I was sold on the extremely helpful responses from everyone. Sealed it for me.

I got locked out of my car in Rawlins at the McDonald's after they shut 80 down west bound.....longest night of my life sleeping in the play place waiting for a lock smith to come from Laramie.....I never stop in Rawlins any more lol
    Serves you right for calling my barrel "pale brown" 🤮 we can do rock springs then 😂😂😂

• Haha
    Reactions: Huskydriver
    Best money I've spent on my AI. Other than buying the damn thing in the first place lol

How difficult is the installation?

Debonding and bonding sound a bit harder than gluing together a model plane.

• Haha
    Reactions: Huskydriver