• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AT or wait for AT-X

1A1DF92D-8614-4D0B-9039-949C59C9767D.jpeg
Took my new AT-X to the range today and thought I might weigh in. Spent the last few years doing PRS with the AT in 6mm Creedmore and .308. I was very happy with the AT-X doing positional work. Thought not having a folder would be a problem but it wasn’t. Thought not having thumbs screws for the cheek test would be a problem, it wasn’t. The AT-X is a capable PRS rifle despite some of the alleged problems. I went through the AT straight stock/convert to a folder hassle and in hindsight it’s became more of a cleaning convenience than a necessity. Added a AI Comp trigger 2 years ago and found it to be a great addition.
For me the AT-X is a great improvement even though I still love shooting my AT.
As an FYI, I ordered my AT-X from Mile High back in August 2021 in FDE. Found out they had blue ones in stock 2 weeks ago when calling to check status on my order so I switched colors. I got the rifle a week ago. Had them pull the 6.5 CM barrel for a $500 credit and got 3 internal weights and 4 external. Put on a 28” Hawk Hill MTU barrel I had cut a few months ago along with an APA Fat Bastard Gen 2 brake. They didn’t have the top rail or bag rider at Mike High but I found the top rail at EuroOptic along with a flat trigger shoe. No complaints with the AT-X today at all. Also, I idn’t sell my AT, but instead pulled the .308 barrel and put a Hawk Hill 6mm Creedmore barrel so I have a great backup gun! Ultimately the best choice is what you want to do with the rifle. Hope this helps and good luck!
376ACE15-D2A7-4E5E-9DC5-6C711673974C.jpeg

Attachments

• 9C3F0D32-D764-4FC8-8022-AEF8CF7DDE11.jpeg
    9C3F0D32-D764-4FC8-8022-AEF8CF7DDE11.jpeg
    693.8 KB · Views: 45
How difficult is the installation?

Debonding and bonding sound a bit harder than gluing together a model plane.
Debonded mine today. Simple enough. Since the bonding process doesn’t involve heating and scraping (although minimal), I think it’ll be easy enough. More time than effort.

This:
D57ED6E9-04C3-4520-862A-6338337A7430.jpeg

To this in a couple hours:
CE97FB14-BFE4-4049-80E5-4599AD0CAD04.jpeg

Last edited:
How difficult is the installation?

Debonding and bonding sound a bit harder than gluing together a model plane.
Just follow samb300s instruction on the youtubes. Only advice I'll give you is get some extra bonding material from gsprifles in case you run out of time. The bonding material is supposed to be good for an hour but @ 45 mins or so it is pretty tough to work with.

Reactions: Beardsli
I just watched his videos. Not as easy as other platforms' chassis, but seems doable.

Reactions: Familydude
Just follow samb300s instruction on the youtubes. Only advice I'll give you is get some extra bonding material from gsprifles in case you run out of time. The bonding material is supposed to be good for an hour but @ 45 mins or so it is pretty tough to work with.
Why do you do this by yourdelf.Get a good gunsmith and protect your 2k investment .There is lot more to it that watching youtube

Why do you do this by yourdelf.Get a good gunsmith and protect your 2k investment .There is lot more to it that watching youtube
I can help anyone if they have questions, it's definitely doable by most with an afternoon of free time and a couple of beers. I think with my original batch there were 2 or 3 guys that had Redbeard in TX do the bonding, the rest did it themselves.

Rick at GCP will certainly help anyone out with the install if needed.

I took my factory LH AX and de-bonded it myself just to get the project started a few years ago. It can be a little intimidating, but at the end of the day it's just some epoxy between the action and chassis.

Doing it yourself is half the fun, and there is no investment to protect. You are not going to damage anything if you screw up. Worst case scenario is you have to debond/bond again.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
This^^^^. I love tinkering. Working with my hands, using tools. Doing it yourself gets you a fully-assembled AIAO rifle in a few hours, taking your time to do it right and, the personal satisfaction that goes with it. Nothing against gunsmiths, but it could be much longer depending on their workload.