• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AW or Sako TRG

Barn Side

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2012
Accuracy International AW 300 win mag or Sako TRG 42 300 win mag.

Disregarding price what in your opinion is the better rifle?

Re: AI AW or Sako TRG

I personally find the AI chassis to be very comfortable. So in that regard I would go with the AIAW. I imagine that they both will shoot quite well from the factory. It really ALL comes down to ergonomics.

I hear many say they prefer the bipod setup of the Sako 42 over the AI AW; the bipod connects to the stock much closer to the bore axis.

AIAW is the better rifle

Sako doesn't make a TRG in 300wm anymore so you would have to get one used, I ordered a AIAW300wm from mile high should be here next month can't wait for that phone call. Both are great rifles I like the AI better but it's also twice the price, both 60 deg bolt throws, both have great triggers, the TRG is about 3-3.5lbs lighter than the AI. The list goes on and on, but the bottom line AIAW is the better rifle. As far as ergonomics go..... when I hear people say they don't like AI rifles, I laugh... that's like saying you don't like the seats in a Ferrari, just get used to it, nothing drives better

It all comes down to how the rifle fits you, other than that its a wash. The AW is more $ but also has some cooler features. You will not go wrong with eighter (if you can find a TRG in WM).

The AW is absolutely the better rifle. By a wide margin.

Sako does still manufacture the 42 in 300wm, the problem is Beretta USA has stopped importing them.
How do I know.....I called Europtics to place an order and Alex informed me of the change. I then followed up with a phone call to Beretta (800-929-2901) and they did confirm production, but said they had NO plan to change their stance on importing them.
frown.gif

My shooting buddy has two TRGs one is in 260 one in 308. Both shoot extremely well.

Both are sexy thats for sure...I would go AI-AW if I had to choose but you really can't go wrong either way..

I have two TRG-42's in .300 win mag and they are amazing shooters. very low recoil, which is incredible for a round with that much bang. Super accurate, etc., etc., etc... can't go wrong with the Sako. The stock is very comfortable as well. It looks a lot bigger than it feels, oddly. Great ergonomics.

I run two TRG's, one in .308 and one in 7mm08, so you know where my vote is, but hey AIs are a great rifle too. You need to get around people that have these rifles and try them before you buy. Check with local shooters, I'm sure if you ask, there will be someone close that you could get together with to shoot one or both platforms.
Scott

As far as I've seen the AX is only in .308 and .338 and the AX50.

Thank you all or the input.

I had a friend that makes custom rifles recommend the Sako saying that it had a better barrel.

Hoyt that was a good read

<span style="font-style: italic">The trigger on the TRG is a little crisper than the AI trigger.</span>

Do others agree with this?

The AI AW seems to be preferred by most militaries. I read that the AW has special de-icing features allowing it to be used effectively at temperatures as low as &#8722;40 °C. Does the TRG also have these capabilities? I know that the Finnish Army use it and I would think conditions there would help necessitate such features.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dkealty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you all or the input.

I had a friend that makes custom rifles recommend the Sako saying that it had a better barrel.

Hoyt that was a good read

<span style="font-style: italic">The trigger on the TRG is a little crisper than the AI trigger.</span>

Do others agree with this?

The AI AW seems to be preferred by most militaries. I read that the AW has special de-icing features allowing it to be used effectively at temperatures as low as &#8722;40 °C. Does the TRG also have these capabilities? I know that the Finnish Army use it and I would think conditions there would help necessitate such features.
</div></div>

Google the quest for the cold bore shot Sako TRG 42. The article will answer your question on cold weather. I just picked up my TRG 42 last night from the FFL.

You cant really lose with either. Just try to shoot both and see how the stock feels to you.

Ive shot a TRG and liked it very much. I shot an AI and liked the action but the thumb hole stock didnt feel right to me.

Had a custom rifle built with a thumb hole (not AICS, but still a thumb hole) stock thinking it would grow on me. Just over a year later Im selling the custom rifle with the thumb hole and buying a TRG.

Had I went with my initial instincts I would have saved myself some time, effort and even some money.

Some people are the opposite and think the AICS is perfect and the TRG stock feels wonky.

Both rifles are excellent but feel very different, with some people lying fairly heavily biased towards one or the other.

I think the AX does come in 300 but are not easy to find, check with Mile High if you want one. I'm thinking of going all in and picking up an AX 338.

What is your primary use? Is this your first long range rifle? Do you plan on hunting? The TRG is quite a bit lighter if that means anything.

I have a couple TRG 22s and will probably pick up a 338 in the future. I have thought about picking up something "different" like an AI or DTA but ask myself why because I love my TRGs! Plus, for the cost of a AI AX rifle in 338 I can buy a TRG and outfit it with a S&B 5-25, mount, and buy reloading components. I think above the price of a TRG you are in the market of rapidly diminishing performance returns for the amount of money spent.

Many people seem to have trouble owning only one TRG...

If only SAKO made a left hand TRG in 308, i would be all over that like syrup on a pancake.

Heath

I don't own either rifle but I do own a TRG-22 in .308 and I love that rifle. It is the most comfortable and accurate rifle I have ever been behind. The grip fits my Shrek like hand perfectly and the trigger is amazing. That said, I have never been behind an AI, but have tried other thumb holes that just didn't feel right. As others have said, they are both great rifles, see if you can try before you buy.

I have a TRG in 308 and 300WM, and a AWSM .338. I prefer shooting the TRG, with the better trigger, excellent bipod and better feeling ergonomics (for me).

However, I thought my TRG locked up tight until I got an AW. That thing is just incomparable. Nothing I have felt so far comes close to how bank vault tight an AW locks up.

Both platforms shoot lights out and would be fine with either.

Thanks again Hoyt

I will be using the rifle for both hunting and target shooting.

Black Majik if you could have either rifle in 300 win mag would it be the AI AW or Sako TRG?

I have both rifles but in 308. The TRG trigger is superior to the AI AW and the bolt has a slicker feel. The AI AW is slightly more accurate with I identical loads. It's more difficult to remove from the AI AW even if you get the folder. The ergonomics of both rifles seems about the same to me with a slight edge to the AI AW. That said I have only put 100 shoots thru the AIAW and 5 shoot groups @ 100 yards are averaging close to 0.3". The best I have done with the TRG is about 0.41". So if the slight improvement in accuracy is important go with the AIAW @ 2X the price. If not then the TRG. AS I continue to shot the AI AW the groups have continued to get smaller so I expect even smaller agragate group sizes. Both scope are equipped with NF NXS-32X56 scopes. The TRG has an NP-R1 reticle. The AI AW has the newer MOAR reticle which I like better.

I have both rifles but in 308. The TRG trigger is superior to the AI AW and the bolt has a slicker feel. The AI AW is slightly more accurate with I identical loads. It's more difficult to remove from the AI AW even if you get the folder. The ergonomics of both rifles seems about the same to me with a slight edge to the AI AW. That said I have only put 100 shoots thru the AIAW and 5 shoot groups @ 100 yards are averaging close to 0.3". The best I have done with the TRG is about 0.41". So if the slight improvement in accuracy is important go with the AIAW @ 2X the price. If not then the TRG. As I continue to shot the AI AW the groups have continued to get smaller so I expect even smaller agragate group sizes. Both rifles are equipped with NF NXS-32X56 scopes. The TRG has an NP-R1 reticle. The AI AW has the newer MOAR reticle which I like better.

The AI is just a bit more robust and heavier, TRG is about 3 lbs. lighter and not as robust and a slightly better trigger. Going to war, take the AI, want to save some money get the TRG, like ToKeepAndBear said above “I can buy a TRG and outfit it with a S&B 5-25” I have 3 TRG’s, two 308’s and one 300WM.

Get the Sako and spend the savings on training, glass and ammo.

Neither company has ever done anything wrong. Ever. Great rifles, but the AI price is ridiculous.

Would I own one if I were rolling in dough, sure, but I don't feel at any loss by owning a Sako.

Both are imports.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dkealty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Disregarding price what in your opinion is the better rifle? </div></div>AWM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enough Said</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Neither company has ever done anything wrong. Ever.</div></div>Two words: Sako trigger.
wink.gif

the TRG is a good rifle but its never floated my boat.

AI AI AI AI if you can afford it, if not then badger has a new 2013 coming out that will be bad ass and put it in a whiskey 3 chassis with a timney flat trigger... you get the AI like action, folding chassis, good trigger.... kinda like if a TRG and a AI had babies.

Find my old thread from 2010, debated for three pages. In that time I have shot thousands and thousands of rounds through both. I mainly shoot my AX, but I did do an ELR class with my TRG-42 and it made very consistent hits out to 2000m. You cant go wrong with either, if you have the coin for the AW, go that way. If you have more coin that that, buy both. Worst case you sell the one you like less and the depreciation will be money well spent to know for sure that you made the right decision.

If price and weight is no concern then the AI should be picked over the Sako. The AI is a more robust weapon and is consistently accurate from lot to lot.

However I was able to purchase a TRG-22 and TRG-42 and a scope for the price of the AI. They both turned out to be accurate and run 33% to 49% lighter than the AI which was a plus for me as I tend run amok in the mountains.

A custom route like Big Joe is recommending is also another viable option and gives you the best of both worlds and a probably a little more accurate rifle too.

I'm partial to the SAKO as I owned one in .300 Win Mag.

It all comes down to how $$$ you want to throw down.
The AIAW is also a great rifle but is 2x the price. Might also take a look at a "custom" such as a surgeon scalpel, which price point is inbetween both of them.

If you go with the SAKO take a look at NEAR MFG in Canada, they make great scope bases and muzzle brakes for the TRG. I'd also pick up some SAKO bipods will run you around $400 which I think is over priced(As are all SAKO Accessories) but I loved them.

Sako trigger is wonderful, bipod is really good, if you are hunting/walking 3.5 lbs lighter is HUGE.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if not then badger has a new 2013 coming out that will be bad ass and put it in a whiskey 3 chassis with a timney flat trigger... you get the AI like action, folding chassis, good trigger.... kinda like if a TRG and a AI had babies. </div></div>
Why is it that some people get all the good info! This ain't no stealth helicopter; so spill the beans!

I have a TRG42 in 338 Lapua and its a tack driver. For a production stick its pretty damn awesome right out of the box. All the Sako accessories are high quality (but they should be for the price). It has a very effective factory brake. I havent really stretched it out yet...I cant get but about 800 yards out of the back yard, but I'm happy with it. It seems to shoot better with a 220 gr. bullet, but I'm still plaaying with it. I used the factory Sako base and put a 8.5x25x50lrt Leupold on it with a tactical milling crosshair reticle....I know its hell on the feral hog population here!

I'm in the process of gathering pieces for a .408 Cheytac...ordered a Stiller .408 repeater action, a 30" Lijla barrel. and a XLR chassis....I'm going to top it with a Schmidt Bender 12.5x50x50 with a tactical milling crosshair....I won't have all the pieces here for 8-10 more weeks but stay tuned...its all ordered and the wait has begun!