• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AI AW rifles or something else?

cgmaster1

Captain
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2006
Gulf Coast Mississippi
I know the 308 version can not shoot the 300wm or 338 Lapua but can the 308 barrel fit the AWM and can I get a bolt and mag that will work with the 308? It would be like the M24 using a long action for the 308. I guess it would be possible to use a modified 300wm mag with a spacer placed in the mag. This way If I needed to seat the bullets longer than what the factory AI mags allow I would have the extra length.

I have been looking at accuracy and also wondering what types of groups it will shoot. i have a Rem 700 that shoots .5moa and would hate to spend this much for a rifle and not have it shoot any better even though I know it is a much better rifle.

I am looking at upgrading from the Rem and Win rifles I have now and thought it would be really nice to have a change barrel that could do anything from 243-338 Lapua. If I can do this then I would sell several of my rifles and buy one AW.

What other rifles have this capability and reliability? I have looked at the Sako and kind of glanced at the Tikka but niether seem as robust or tough and Changing the barrels is possible but I do not have the capability to do exact metric threads so I would either have to get a new lathe or have the barrel work done by someone.

Re: AI AW rifles or something else?

Probably better off to get a DTA SRS if you want to run short AND long actions. The AW would be great for .243-.308, OR 7mm mag-.338 lm, but I have no idea how you would run a .308 in a long action AW.

Pierce / Elesio config.

Rich

If switch barrel between short and long action is what you want, you would do well to look at the SRS from Desert Tactical Arms. They are very well made, but I have not gotten a chance to shoot one yet.

Maybe next year if the AE lets me shoot a little better.
wink.gif

I've shot the AIAW and the DTA SRS and with the exception of the support side shot which is made difficult by the bullpup design, I like the aSRS better
And if you are going to be switching calibers, it is super easy to do with the SRS.

i have shot both rifles extensively and both are great rifles but from a changing calibers standpoint srs deffinatly tha way to go

.300 Win / .308 combination is not really feasable on the AI because the action bodies are a different length. It could be done but only on a .300 Win Mag action. Again a new bolt body & barrel required, magazine would have to be modified and possibly the feed ramp.

Ok looking at the Desert Tactical now also. I have not seen one before. does anyone have one on or near the Gulf Coast that I could take a look at? What I have found so far seems that it would be about the same accuracy as the rifle I have (.5moa). Also can the barrels be made with convetional barrel blanks if I wanted to make some of my own barrels in different calibers?

Ok I guess i am going to be looking for a desert tactical SRS. I really want to try it 1st before shelling out a ton of money but if someone has one for sale let me know.

In the late 90s, AINA (in TN at the time), made up a 308 barrel and bolt body for my 338 SM/AWM as a switch caliber project. The bolt face came from the Target Rifle as it had the necessary 6 locking lugs used on the SM/AWM.

I wasn't able to come up with a source of reliably feeding magazines despite tinkering with the 300 win mags.

Accuracy was typical of AIs.

The project was suspended when I acquired an AW in 308.

As for a switch caliber system, the AI is not geared towards it.

I have shot both and I really like them both, I ended up going with the AW. Eventually when funds recover from AW I will also buy a DTA.

The new AI AX-MCR can be configured to both .338 lap mag & .308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bonneville</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new AI AX-MCR can be configured to both .338 lap mag & .308 </div></div>

Where have you read that? I was told there would be no difference in the 7.62 AX other than the stock, the action barrel and bolt are the same. Not saying you are wrong just where you heard it.

You are correct. I am talking about the larger AX 338 action.

Ok I have a little while to think about this. I am going to finish the builds I have going and sell them. This way I can pay off my tractor in November and be debt free. Then I am going to get something. I love the idea of the SRS but I am a little worried about wear from changing the barrel out and long term reliability.

Also I have not looked at the new AI ax sounds prommising but I am really liking the compactness of the DTA SRS.