• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AW vs 700 style actions ...which fails more?

Why not? The parts are interchangeable between rifles, and much easier to swap than R700's. Bolts swap between different rifles as do triggers.

Having said that, I've never heard of a bolt failing on an AI.

I am with you! spares from AI should be available. Even if the spares become available from AI, it seems the spares will cost more than a tricked out rifle straight from Surgeon.

You don't need a spare part for an AI...

Jacob Bynum at Rifles Only has his AW with 110,000 rounds through the action. He has changed 12 barrels,

at 93,000 the bolt stop pin broke, they overnighted him a pin.

Call him if you fell the need to carry a spare part for an AI.

I have had an AI since 2002, never needed a spare part.

Jacob Bynum at Rifles Only has his AW with 110,000 rounds through the action. He has changed 12 barrels,

Exactly why I want one.

Not doubting the Gods Jacob and Lowlight, however, I would feel much better if I had my own spares as oppose to trusting that their luck (or history) follows me. Also, I am sure there is some guy out there that cycled his Remington 90,000 times, and I just have not heard about it.

Actually SH #50 is there, it died and stopped working at 15,000 rounds. Went back to GAP and was fixed.

AI will more than likely not sell you the spare parts, so don't get one. Pick a rifle that needs you to carry spare parts, especially if your mind can't handle the reality, cause you won't need them.

Jacob's rifle was the first AW I had ever ran...smooth as silk and accurate as all get out. I have 700's & customs but some day I would really like to have an AI, just a different league IMO.

Spare parts...sigh...I want to shoot it not work on it.

Actually SH #50 is there, it died and stopped working at 15,000 rounds. Went back to GAP and was fixed.

AI will more than likely not sell you the spare parts, so don't get one. Pick a rifle that needs you to carry spare parts, especially if your mind can't handle the reality, cause you won't need them.

Well when I buy my AI, I won't need the spares because it will be a safe queen!.. also spares will be way too much money for me anyways.

I have been around, and in general, I have found that guys who love their gear too much are usually the slowest ones at the track. I too love Ducati 997s, but I would never race one. I would own one, and ride it to work, but most likely I would spend as much time waxing it as I would riding it. If I need to race again and win again, I would go Yamaha or Suzuki and keep plenty of spares on hand, just like I did back in the old days when I was younger and faster (but I am better looking now though).

I shoot mine every week...
1146565_10151853518817953_903579461_n.jpg

and I have shot it in competition
1237862_10151890159187953_886027367_n.jpg

I have also let everyone who wanted too, shoot mine at the 2013 SHC during the night shoot, both my AE and AX

420336_10151689922817953_649018211_n.jpg

What the fuck is a 997?
Who the hell carries a spare bolt around with them?

What the fuck is a 997?
Who the hell carries a spare bolt around with them?

Good question! 997 is a slang for the... 996 and 998 (so we split it down the middle), both were the final 2 Superbike Engines of the original 916. there was also a 955.

I have spare bolts for just about all guns (AR, FAL, M14), but I do not have one for any for my bolt actions.

I have also let everyone who wanted too, shoot mine at the 2013 SHC during the night shoot, both my AE and AX

I am sure your AI's are well used and have all served you well. In my mind they are definitively the hottest bolt action guns out there. It's nice to know that my future "95% safe queen" has a history of reliability.

Last edited:
So you want to buy it for a safe queen yet you're worried about the availability of a spare bolt?

That may be the single most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

So you want to buy it for a safe queen yet you're worried about the availability of a spare bolt?

That may be the single most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

you need to follow the history, just go back from page 9 till now.... I will not consider my AI a "combat gun"... I am just saying for those guys that do! How can you consider anything a combat gun if you can't get spares for it.

Please Discuss.....

you need to follow the history, just go back from page 9 till now.... I will not consider my AI a "combat gun"... I am just saying for those guys that do! How can you consider anything a combat gun if you can't get spares for it.

Please Discuss.....
Christ your dense. Does your mom know your using the internet seeing as how your in her basement? ;-)

Christ your dense. Does your mom know your using the internet seeing as how your in her basement? ;-)

well these are my mom's guns too. and I treat all her guns as toys, they are all toys to me. I do not use the guns for missions, nor do I use them for pretend self defense. I use them as toys... It's like my title says.. "Hobbyist among Operators" LOL

Sorry but I'm not getting sucked into retardation twice in one day.

Well I have a Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering, could get a PhD if I wanted to, but I decided to go to work instead of staying in school... because I am a EE I know logic! Let me know if you need help with that.

I graduated from Interstate University, majored in common sense, and have the CDL to prove it...have even worked my way up to specialized heavy hauling.

Truck driving has about as much to do with this topic as electrical engineering...just saying.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

How can you consider anything a combat gun if you can't get spares for it.

How many real life trigger pullers, guys with their dick in the dirt, carry spare bolt gun parts on a mission? How many do you think have access to replacement parts like a bolt within 24-48 hours during a deployment?

I graduated from Interstate University, majored in common sense, and have the CDL to prove it...have even worked my way up to specialized heavy hauling.

Truck driving has about as much to do with this topic as electrical engineering...just saying.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

well Engineering is actually very much like this, it follows a logical flow. EE is easy for me because I am a logical person.. Most people can't do EE is because they lack any kind of logic.

1146565_10151853518817953_903579461_n.jpg

1237862_10151890159187953_886027367_n.jpg

420336_10151689922817953_649018211_n.jpg

i remember that douglas ridge shoot, first time i seen that Kahles in comp before

How many real life trigger pullers, guys with their dick in the dirt, carry spare bolt gun parts on a mission? How many do you think have access to replacement parts like a bolt within 24-48 hours during a deployment?

Most of those guys have this thing available to them called an Armory. Look it up.

I just realized that I have never had to use AI warranty for anything with one exception, an out of spec 34mm scopemount base. I have about 6200 rounds via my AW 308, another 4000 combined via a few AE’s and 2000 or so down 260 AX.
I shipped the scope base “for evaluation” after some resistance to the dealer and they kind of put me on the backburner and I never got a replacement or a response so no clue if it was a dud or a common occurrence. In fairness that’s the first AI base out of 6 that came with a defect.

Most of those guys have this thing available to them called an Armory. Look it up.

The armory is not always on the next corner when you're deployed in remote areas. Chances are AI would have your safe queen up and running faster than the armorer would get the actual combat guns back up.

LL, how has your Bighorn builds been holding up? Any issues you've come across?

thanks for your time.

The armory is not always on the next corner when you're deployed in remote areas. Chances are AI would have your safe queen up and running faster than the armorer would get the actual combat guns back up.

you do not think they keep spare rifles in their armory? Please discuss...

The point here is simple...Anyone can replicate AI's manufacturing process because there's nothing special about it. Nothing patented...At least nothing anyone has yet to prove within the 4 corners of this thread. The only real manufacturing ability they have thus far, is the ability to produce the same exact rifle, in mass.

Holy fuck, this is one of the most ignorant statements I've seen from you yet... and that's saying something.

How much work have you done in mass-production manufacturing? Screwing together a few custom PCs does not count.

well Engineering is actually very much like this, it follows a logical flow. EE is easy for me because I am a logical person.. Most people can't do EE is because they lack any kind of logic.

I'm a degreed EE, my first two laps around the Nurburgring were on someone else's 996SPS, and I'm an AI owner. Does that make me qualified to argue with you, or is my collection of action figures not yet sufficient to afford me the privilege?

I'm a degreed EE, my first two laps around the Nurburgring were on someone else's 996SPS, and I'm an AI owner. Does that make me qualified to argue with you, or is my collection of action figures not yet sufficient to afford me the privilege?

yes it does. but I don't argue, I only get in discussions.

You probably went around the Nurnbergring slow. I am fast! I got trophies to back it up.

996 SPS? Dam! I am jealous! If there is one garage queen that I want it is that one. I love me some 916s!

you do not think they keep spare rifles in their armory? Please discuss...

Your comment was originally regarding spare parts. As for spare rifles, I'm sure different strokes for different folks applies. My familiarity is limited to one element within one branch. Guys are issued a suite of weapons. If a rifle goes down they may or may not have a direct replacement available based on deployment location and duration. Again, it is my opinion in most cases AI would have a civilian rifle up and running faster than some of our deployed military with their armorers and spare parts.

Last edited:
Your comment was originally regarding spare parts. As for spare rifles, I'm sure different strokes for different folks applies. My familiarity is limited to one element within one branch. Guys are issued a suite of weapons. If a rifle goes down they may or may not have a direct replacement available based on deployment location and duration. Again, it is my opinion in most cases AI would have a civilian rifle up and running faster than some of our deployed military with their armorers and spare parts.

you sound like you were in the Airforce.. or in a POG unit.

Love this thread!

Learning a hell of a lot? Check.

Snow? Check.

Butt hurt fanboys? Check.

Thing is, lots of folks don't seem to understand the differences between manufacturing to a standard vs to a price pont. The AI is built to a standard and the 700 to a price point. The differences go all the way back to the original design conceptualization, the materials chosen, the machines to be used you name it.

I am more a gas gun guy so I relate it to the ongoing discussion I have with a guy who questions my use of a LMT MWS vs his DPMS. Why waste the money he always asks? Shoots just as good he says over and over again. Me? Standards not price point, but the price point buyer can't ever seem to get the why. OTH I never see them out at the range with me when it is snowing either. At least it isn't a piston vs DI debate on top of it all with him!

i've got a masters in economics, and can prove with graphs two things for you all 1. the relative price inelasticity of demand for AI rifles, which means i'm buying one anyway, and 2. that shooting in the snow will make your balls rise up into you body where you might choke on them, leading to death - so it is a stupid thing to do, hence the snow and ice argument is dislocated and shattered for anyone other than a serving defence member and BTW, a 997 is a model of porsche 911 that is also a very good thing, probably not as reliable as an AI - the turbo is a weapon

i've got a masters in economics, and can prove with graphs two things for you all 1. the relative price inelasticity of demand for AI rifles, which means i'm buying one anyway, and 2. that shooting in the snow will make your balls rise up into you body where you might choke on them, leading to death - so it is a stupid thing to do, hence the snow and ice argument is dislocated and shattered for anyone other than a serving defence member and BTW, a 997 is a model of porsche 911 that is also a very good thing, probably not as reliable as an AI - the turbo is a weapon

no arguments there! you might have only an econ degree, but I can tell when a man has a logical abilities (if only just a hint of it, but you have more than a hint).

I design and install servers there chief.

Not a single person in this thread has yet to show a patent, to show that ai can do anything you can't.

AI has none...What's to stop me from buying one next week and copying the entire damned thing on a cnc?

Just sayin.

How about you use your vast knowledge and do some research. You will find plenty of patents on product as well as processes. Do you really think a company such as Accuracy International is comprised of a bunch of hacks in there mom's basement swinging by the seat of their pants? I challenge you to "legally" replicate AI's rifle affordably and have it anywhere near as reliable as they do. I won't even talk about mass production.

Attachments

• AI.pdf
    80.2 KB · Views: 34

I am not an operator or any high speed guy, but I did do my duty and served in the army. In 2003 I had my M24 go down during a mission, worst feeling in the world. Good thing I still carried an M4 and we had an extra M14. I guess we had an Armory but it was like 40 miles to the south. It took three weeks to get a replacement rifle. We didn't carry all these spare parts your talking about. We had a few spare parts for the M4's and thats it.

Since my army days I have had a couple issues with 700 Actions and clones going down in the field for various reasons (broken extractors, Sear, trigger). I don't get butt hurt about it, Why? because whats the worst thats going to happen? You have to call it a day at a competition early or cut it short on a range day? It sucks when you spend a fortune on a rig and it goes down. I just bought an AIAW and have had zero issues so far. I wish we could of had one these during my deployments. Do I expect it to go down sometime in the future? Possibly. I carry an AW now because in three years of shooting in matches I have yet to see one go down. Is it heavy? yes. Do I hate that god awful stock? yes. But the damn thing works.

I am not an operator or any high speed guy, but I did do my duty and served in the army. In 2003 I had my M24 go down during a mission, worst feeling in the world. Good thing I still carried an M4 and we had an extra M14. I guess we had an Armory but it was like 40 miles to the south. It took three weeks to get a replacement rifle. We didn't carry all these spare parts your talking about. We had a few spare parts for the M4's and thats it.

Since my army days I have had a couple issues with 700 Actions and clones going down in the field for various reasons (broken extractors, Sear, trigger). I don't get butt hurt about it, Why? because whats the worst thats going to happen? You have to call it a day at a competition early or cut it short on a range day? It sucks when you spend a fortune on a rig and it goes down. I just bought an AIAW and have had zero issues so far. I wish we could of had one these during my deployments. Do I expect it to go down sometime in the future? Possibly. I carry an AW now because in three years of shooting in matches I have yet to see one go down. Is it heavy? yes. Do I hate that god awful stock? yes. But the damn thing works.

before I comment... don't fabricate to us, you did not carry the M14 and M4 by yourself, you had it in a vehicle nearby... right?

Gee, being as I only have a high school diploma I don't know if I can comment on this one, but I'll give it a shot anyhow...

USMC units at regimental level and below, unless something has changed since I got out in 2006, do not deploy with a 2112 armorer, including MEU (SOC). If your M40A1 went down, you were fucked as there were no spare parts, nobody to work on it, and would have to be sent back to the USA while waiting on a replacement. There were no "spare" rifles in a STA Platoon; every single one (8-12, depending on the platoon) was issued to a Scout Sniper and every single one was in service at every opportunity. Have a '40 go down, guess what bitch? Here's your SASR, have fun humping that shit.... Maybe they can use a DMR now, but we didn't get those until late 2001 in a Christmas delivery straight from Quantico to Kandahar.

We did not have authorization to do anything other than cleaning maintenance on our rifles. We were not authorized to pull the actions from the stock. Yes, I saw it done in extreme circumstances, but that was risking a NinJa Punch for sure. Triggers and bolt catches failed on a regular basis. Getting sugar cookied on insert or extract, either on the beach coming in on Zod's or by a CH-53 in a sandy HLZ wreaked havoc on our rifles. Our rifles went in for maintenance every 6 months at the longest, and it was rare for there to not be something wrong with them during that service. Yeah, we shot a lot, we used them very hard and if you lock a grunt in a padded room with two ball bearings for 30 minutes, when you come back he will have lost one and broken the other, but we had to baby our rifles on deployment to keep from having them go down. Typical life span of a M40A1 in our platoon was 24 months and in that time, the barrel would be shot out (7000 rounds), have the trigger or bolt stop adjusted or repaired two or three times, replaced the firing pin, spring or both due to soft strikes, have the O-rings reglued on the Unertl twice or more, and one or two other issues would have cropped up here or there.

I have limited experience with AIs, mostly from shooting with a Swiss sniper team in a competition back in '99 and also going through SSAC in '01 with a Royal Marine. We would of course trade off rifles and shoot each others, and I was jealous of the entire setup from the DBM and bipod to the smoothness of the action and the trigger. They ran flawlessly for them including while our M40A1/3s were giving us issues in the cold and rain, all three of them scored very high (a testament to the rifles and their skills), and I became sold on the system. Getting an AI of my own has been long on my list of to-dos that will hopefully be fulfilled by year's end. I have two GAP builds, one M40A1 and one Templar/Rock Solid .260, both of which do a damn fine job, but both of which need a certain finesse at times as well. Maybe I'm not through the christening period on the actions yet...

I could give a shit less about anyone's business model, manufacturing processes, patents, blah blah blah... I'm a shooter who does not have limitless budgets, a garage full of machines, tools and parts, or even the current skill level to do that work on my own. I also don't have the time with 10+ months a year overseas to learn it anytime soon either. I need a rifle that will be thoroughly multi-purpose, accurate, dependable in and out of the field while still having the support if it has problems, and will have the longevity to not only serve me in my passions but also be a legacy piece for my son to enjoy as well. I have found no other rifle that can fulfill that role for me.

Remington, Savage, Defiance, Surgeon, Badger, whatever other fans there may be out there, good on you, but it's hard to deny the facts: AIs flat out run.

Gee, being as I only have a high school diploma I don't know if I can comment on this one, but I'll give it a shot anyhow...

USMC units at regimental level and below, unless something has changed since I got out in 2006, do not deploy with a 2112 armorer, including MEU (SOC). If your M40A1 went down, you were fucked as there were no spare parts, nobody to work on it, and would have to be sent back to the USA while waiting on a replacement. There were no "spare" rifles in a STA Platoon; every single one (8-12, depending on the platoon) was issued to a Scout Sniper and every single one was in service at every opportunity. Have a '40 go down, guess what bitch? Here's your SASR, have fun humping that shit.... Maybe they can use a DMR now, but we didn't get those until late 2001 in a Christmas delivery straight from Quantico to Kandahar.

We did not have authorization to do anything other than cleaning maintenance on our rifles. We were not authorized to pull the actions from the stock. Yes, I saw it done in extreme circumstances, but that was risking a NinJa Punch for sure. Triggers and bolt catches failed on a regular basis. Getting sugar cookied on insert or extract, either on the beach coming in on Zod's or by a CH-53 in a sandy HLZ wreaked havoc on our rifles. Our rifles went in for maintenance every 6 months at the longest, and it was rare for there to not be something wrong with them during that service. Yeah, we shot a lot, we used them very hard and if you lock a grunt in a padded room with two ball bearings for 30 minutes, when you come back he will have lost one and broken the other, but we had to baby our rifles on deployment to keep from having them go down. Typical life span of a M40A1 in our platoon was 24 months and in that time, the barrel would be shot out (7000 rounds), have the trigger or bolt stop adjusted or repaired two or three times, replaced the firing pin, spring or both due to soft strikes, have the O-rings reglued on the Unertl twice or more, and one or two other issues would have cropped up here or there.

I have limited experience with AIs, mostly from shooting with a Swiss sniper team in a competition back in '99 and also going through SSAC in '01 with a Royal Marine. We would of course trade off rifles and shoot each others, and I was jealous of the entire setup from the DBM and bipod to the smoothness of the action and the trigger. They ran flawlessly for them including while our M40A1/3s were giving us issues in the cold and rain, all three of them scored very high (a testament to the rifles and their skills), and I became sold on the system. Getting an AI of my own has been long on my list of to-dos that will hopefully be fulfilled by year's end. I have two GAP builds, one M40A1 and one Templar/Rock Solid .260, both of which do a damn fine job, but both of which need a certain finesse at times as well. Maybe I'm not through the christening period on the actions yet...

I could give a shit less about anyone's business model, manufacturing processes, patents, blah blah blah... I'm a shooter who does not have limitless budgets, a garage full of machines, tools and parts, or even the current skill level to do that work on my own. I also don't have the time with 10+ months a year overseas to learn it anytime soon either. I need a rifle that will be thoroughly multi-purpose, accurate, dependable in and out of the field while still having the support if it has problems, and will have the longevity to not only serve me in my passions but also be a legacy piece for my son to enjoy as well. I have found no other rifle that can fulfill that role for me.

Remington, Savage, Defiance, Surgeon, Badger, whatever other fans there may be out there, good on you, but it's hard to deny the facts: AIs flat out run.

well you guys are Marines! you do not need spares.. and you brought M60 tanks to the Gulf War hahhahaahahhaha

No one ever said Marines needed to be smart.

I am thinking VERY few Marines are Engineers or become Engineers. Then again, as a Marine, brain is not really a requirement.. so carry on Soldier! or I should say Carry on Marine!

before I comment... don't fabricate to us, you did not carry the M14 and M4 by yourself, you had it in a vehicle nearby... right?

Fabricate? Why would I fabricate anything? I don't give a fuck what you or anyone else thinks. I am just telling you my experience with your bullshit thinking that we had armories and armorers around every corner in the military. Yes I carried a M4, M9 and whatever long rifle the mission required, pretty standard to carry more than one system into a fight. Did I carry a M24 and M14 at the same time? no. we had squad boxes that we kept with us either in a humvee or wherever we called home.

Fabricate? Why would I fabricate anything? I don't give a fuck what you or anyone else thinks. I am just telling you my experience with your bullshit thinking that we had armories and armorers around every corner in the military. Yes I carried a M4, M9 and whatever long rifle the mission required, pretty standard to carry more than one system into a fight. Did I carry a M24 and M14 at the same time? no. we had squad boxes that we kept with us either in a humvee or wherever we called home.

M9 is a pistol. you made it sound like you carried a M4, M14, and M24 all at the same time. Don't get mad at me! that is what you said. I just wanted clarification.